***Nocturnal November Chat Thread***

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol 25 Im on a slight downswing shall we say!

need to get through it!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry daks i couldnt win, please dont ban hammer me...

I know - I watched some of it and then saw the last couple of hands. You played well - congrats on 2nd.

and welcome to the dark side hehehehehehehe :)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know - I watched some of it and then saw the last couple of hands. You played well - congrats on 2nd.

and welcome to the dark side hehehehehehehe :)
thx.
Im on track to make the BOTP high orbit, still havent gotten a good low orbit going.
Main reason i hated STTs is cause of the varience but when i 8-10table it evens out alot quicker.
But yeah im sure that im gonna start hating it again in a couple days and convert again...

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry I haven't been on, moved earlier this week and my computer desk broke, so I don't have anywhere to put it right now.

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
see you next week, lik

hi.

i did take my money off of pokerstars. i have about $7 on FT. what you guys were arguing about makes sense. the swings and BE stretches should definitely affect players that don't handle as much volume.

between workin full time, going to school at night, gf, other excuses, blah blah blah.... i just can't handle the 10,000 hand break-evens/downswings like you guys. particularly when i play roughly 30,000 hands a year. it's just too frustrating.

i obviously can't stop playing because i am a "user." haha, well i feel like im addicted if that is possible. i love the game and ill probably just stick to playing micros for fun when i have the time.

forgive me?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anyone else having trouble downloading the FT update ? On the verge of just heading out to the pub to watch ireland get beaten by france :( Was gonna play the 30K GTD and the CCCoHE game.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hi.

i did take my money off of pokerstars. i have about $7 on FT. what you guys were arguing about makes sense. the swings and BE stretches should definitely affect players that don't handle as much volume.

between workin full time, going to school at night, gf, other excuses, blah blah blah.... i just can't handle the 10,000 hand break-evens/downswings like you guys. particularly when i play roughly 30,000 hands a year. it's just too frustrating.

i obviously can't stop playing because i am a "user." haha, well i feel like im addicted if that is possible. i love the game and ill probably just stick to playing micros for fun when i have the time.

forgive me?

Or you can join us on the dark side. :p

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone else having trouble downloading the FT update ? On the verge of just heading out to the pub to watch Ireland get beaten by France :( Was gonna play the 30K GTD and the CCCoHE game.
yeah, had the same problem on my desktop and laptop, so uninstalled software on both and reloaded from fulltilt site. works ok doing it that way.

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi.

forgive me?

I can't tell you how much I understand this. Especially right about now. I am also a frequent, but low volume player. And even down at the minimicros I will go on a downswing or just flat for a long time and it can be quite painful.

But for me, I came to understand WHY I play poker. It is not for income. It is not to be a "baller" or a grinder. Though I have respect for those who do take the game to that level.

I play it for FUN. And I play it to WIN. And I just play it because I love the game. Sure I like having the money it produces, and I hate when I go on a downswing, but the money is, for *me* only a part.

So yeah... I forgive you, though I don't think there is really anything to forgive. :)

Juniorsdaddy

Juniorsdaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My ambitious month has turned into an epic failure.

My bankroll is down 75% due to variance catching up with me. Over the last month, I had found great success playing short yet intense higher level sessions. However, I was warned by several of you on this site that a downswing would eventually come. I, of course, ignored the warning signs until a good chunk was gone. I moved down one level, and then another, but I still kept losing. :eek:

So, I am starting from square one with what's left of my roll. I still feel I can succeed at limit cash games, but I still need to learn the nuances after finding initial success. I've come back from worse.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play donkaments, so it's not really for me, but you MTT players should check out the new video serie started by timex on cardrunners. It's supposed to become 7 parts replay of a $250k MTT win, hand by hand, from start to finish.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giving serious thought for having a go at Supernova Elite next year. I will make my mind up in the next 4 weeks or so. Hated myself for not doing it this year.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously, jag? Wow... how many VPPs do you have at this time of the year? Does that mean playing a little more than this year or ridiculously more?

HEM tells me that if I played 100% on PS, I would have reached SN at the end of October. Guess I'm not really a high volume player.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You gonna play fulltime Jag ?

Plan is to combine it with work for the 1st 3-4 months, then hopefully I will be able to take a career break in work and concentrat full time on da pokaz.

Seriously, jag? Wow... how many VPPs do you have at this time of the year? Does that mean playing a little more than this year or ridiculously more?

HEM tells me that if I played 100% on PS, I would have reached SN at the end of October. Guess I'm not really a high volume player.

I will have to increase my volume by a ridiculous amount.

If I play 100nl I will have to play approx 250k hands/month. At 200nl prolly about 175k hand/month.

So, there's still a long way to go before I make my decision. But basically, the way I see it, by month 3, just on milestones and fpp's alone I will earn min $7400/month regardless of winrate.

The only thing I do ok at poker is play volume. I really think I can give this a good go. Hopefully I will have the bankroll to accomplish it, we'll just have to see. But I'm taking this very seriously.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good luck if you decide to do it! Didn't you do this in 2008?

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck if you decide to do it! Didn't you do this in 2008?

Nah Debs, I got to Supernova, which I achieved again this year. SNE is way beyond that milestone. Worth approx $115k :)

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nah, I dont think so.

Well then that gives you even more drive to make SNE Jag.

It would be nice to say that you're the only 1 out of 60k+ members of a forum to reach such a milestone.

But, I think you're going to enjoy the money that you earn a lot more lol

GL man :top:

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nah Debs, I got to Supernova, which I achieved again this year. SNE is way beyond that milestone. Worth approx $115k :)

I don't want to be the naysayer, and I'm certainly not in any position to tell people not take time off of work to play poker, but I think you should do some serious soul-searching as to whether volume is really the way for you to make $115k next year. If you can break-even (otherwise it's obviously not worth $115k) while playing THAT many hands - which requires of course that you play a ton of tables for many hours every day - then you should really be able to make a ton of money playing fewer tables, table selecting rigorously and spending the extra hours on working on your game instead of grinding.

I think people in general vastly underestimate just how much of an edge they give up when they multitable heavily. And I think anyone who's capable of breaking even over 250k hands/month should be able to have win-rates of over 10bb/100 at the midstakes if they just put some of that grinding time into it. And if you can win a buy-in every one thousand hands, you'll make $115k in less than a quarter of the volume you're talking about - and with much less (negative) variance.

But I wish you luck no matter what you choose to do.