NEEDING HELP HERE!!!!

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well,you,made,the,right,move,with,A10suited,you,just,got,unlucky.
next,time,you'll,win,either,that,or,he'll,have,AJ.
please use the space bar.
it puts me on life tilt to read all those ,

pkrplr4116

pkrplr4116

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, I had a similar problem, but it involved being very short stacked at the final table. I suspect our problems are, tho, quite similar. I went to the WPT BootCamps and asked about this problem, just like you're doing here. Not one of the posters here, told you what the pros told me. They told me and I can't say if this is why you don't make it, but I suspect it is. The reason you don't get farther (assuming your game is good) into the tournament is that, by (in this case) bubble time, you simply don't have enough chips to survive. Why don't you? You're not taking more than you deserve in tems of stealing pots. If you only play your winning hands, you're missing out on opportnitites to bluff and by losing that extra money, you don't have enough chips to make to the bubble and if you do, then when it counts you don't have enough chips to take a big stab at first place, since your stack is quite small. So take stabs at pots in position and when it's beneficial to you to bluff. YES, I know it's taking risks but if you only play the good ones...you'll be too short stacked to get to the money and then too short stacked to win.

nevadanick

nevadanick

Back to work ... zzzzz
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By "button" you mean "bubble" I reckon?

Don't know if you ever found out (nothing in this thread about it). The 'button' is the dealer for that hand. The 'bubble' is the last position before payouts start. A tourney pays 1st to 18th, you are in position #19 based on chip count - you are 'on the bubble'.

I can't speak for anyone else but I've played a couple of tourneys in the 215 range, and to be quite honest the play is just the same as 4 dollar range except the fields are much greater.

Never can get rid of all the lotto players. That's life - and poker. In the higher buy-ins, the bingo-kids thin out earlier. In a lot of the $215 range buy-ins, many players got there by playing lotto/bingo strategy in cheap or FR satellites. It won't change their quality of play.

As for your question in-itself, all I can say is. Look at it like this, if you played the best you can, and truelly made no mistakes, then a bad beat really isn't all that bad because you know you had your oppent crushed, and you made the right call/move or W/E the case maybe and the outcome did'nt come your way, just look past that and move on. Someone on here once said to me, "remember the pain of losing, hold on to it, then remember the reason you lost", in my case I lost because I chose to make a dumb move, there-fore I was kicking myself in the ass. In your case I'd be happy with the fact that I made the right move at the right time, nothing you can do once the chips get into the middle all you can do is wait and see what happens on the flop/turn&river.

Yes, a lot of variables go into play on any all-in preflop, the biggest one being that you have nothing but hole cards to bet. You are 'Betting the Farm' on 2/7th's of a poker hand.

The comment I enjoy seeing most is the "I got all my chips in the middle with the best hand (pre-flop)". Even if the 'best hand' part were true in every case, it does not work well in MTT's. Ring games are another story, but that's not the point of this thread. OP is discussing MTT's.

During the course of any MTT, you will usually get dealt monster hole cards several or numerous times. In a bigger filed, let's say 10 times, and all them are 75/25 odds to win against random cards and even disregard multi-way pots that go way under 75% favs. The all-in/preflop 'odds' players are also betting the farm that their favs WILL still dominate by the river - 100% of the time. (discount the non-all-in hands that don't cost you your tourney life).

Sometimes you get backed into a corner - position, short-stacked, bubble, time constraints, chip bullys, etc, etc. What we also see is the ONE post about the ONE hand that DIDN'T hold up.

As a player, IF you are going to play those barn-burning all-in preflops, understand that you CANNOT win every one of them, everytime you play. Taking down 'best hand preflop' 100% of the time is VERY RARE. Those rare cases make 'heaters' and 'lukboxes'. Maybe take another look at your MTT strategies ... ??

Last edited:
Gorblid

Gorblid

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually sit really tight when on bubble only AA,KK,AKs., or steal pots when i have big stack

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Variance is the inevitable ups and downs in the game. You are going to have good days and bad days, up swings and down swings. This is what we call "variance". Even when you get your chips in with the best hand pre flop there is still the chance that someone can suck out on you.

Also known as getting all your chips in and called on the flop with best hand, any of your 12 outs on the turn and your opponent is drawing dead, missing all of them, and having your opponent hit a three outter on the river :eek:
--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------

poker stars, $1.15 Buy-in (50/100 blinds, 10 ante) NL Hold'em Tourney, 8 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker

SB: 1,130 (11.3 bb)
BB: 1,760 (17.6 bb)
Hero (UTG+1): 1,395 (14 bb)
MP1: 1,725 (17.3 bb)
MP2: 825 (8.3 bb)
MP3: 3,060 (30.6 bb)
CO: 4,170 (41.7 bb)
BTN: 935 (9.4 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q
club.gif
A
club.gif

Hero calls 100, MP1 raises to 300, 2 folds, CO calls 300, 3 folds, Hero calls 200

Flop: (1,130) A
heart.gif
club.gif
club.gif
(3 players)
Hero checks, MP1 bets 600, CO folds, Hero raises to 1,085 and is all-in, MP1 calls 485

Turn: (3,300) 6
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
River: (3,300) J
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)
Results: 3,300 pot
Hero showed Q
club.gif
A
club.gif
(two pairs, Aces and Sixes) and lost (-1,395 net)
MP1 showed J
club.gif
A
diamond.gif
(two pairs, Aces and Jacks) and won 3,300 (1,905 net)

A-RAG

A-RAG

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your getting close too bubble you will eventually break through. That is the time of tournament can build a short stack too a big stack in a hurry. A few good hands can create a monster stack quick and before you know it your playing for the big bucks usally last 4 spots in a multi. Just hang in the variance will swing up.

K

Kwolff

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Its tough in tournaments. Like someone else said you do need chips to make it depending on starting size of the ones your entering. It also depends on your stack and opponents stack to blind ratio as well.

Bigger stacks will take shots to pick up yours with sub par hands so of course if your small stacked you may have to win two or more hands to get up to where the bigger stacks may think twice before calling your raises or all ins. It cracks me up when the guy with 3k bitches at the guy with 50k for calling 1500 with a 54 suited preflop with 300 or 400 bb. They sit there and say how can call that? Well the big stacks have that luxury to do so.

Sometimes you look like a donk in tournament poker. It happens. Dont let it bother you when a steal goes bad from time to time or you get caught by a good hand when making a positional play with a bad one.

Playing too tight may lead to finishing just short many times. You do need to be aggressive from time to time and make some moves. Its important to judge the tables you are at. See what other players are doing it goes in flows if everyone is playing tight try to steal a few blinds. If they are playing loose tighten up and so on.

The bubble and ends of tournaments are tricky and skill can only set you up to get lucky at the end of them. The more times you make it to the bubble the better the chances of getting lucky or hot at the right time is increased.

player7000

player7000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree with "pkrplr4116"! You need to take full advantage of your good starting hands and search out opportunities to steal blinds. I have recently figured out that I have been playing scared!! I would only play premium starting hands and wouldn't try to steal.I have since loosened up my starting hands,slow play nut hands,and try to steal whenever I can. My favorite is when I am in a hand with 2 or 3 players and the flop comes out low cards.I throw out a feeler bet and a lot of times I get them to fold.If they don't fold I slow down and figure out what to do from there! Also,after you win a big hand,start playing aggressively! People will fold to you a lot more!!:D :D
If you can learn to do these things successfully,the bubble will NOT be a concern of yours!!!! GL!!!:)

evilbughead

evilbughead

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i personally like the small ball method where as you could've pulled the plug on the flop if nothing hit you. but because you went all in well then no matter what is a race and you win some you lose some just part of poker and a little thing called variance

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Boy, a lot of good advice here and I can only stress a couple of points already stated. 1. Play tight when you are that close to the money. 2. Keep playing and eventually the odds will work out and you will place in the money.:icon_sant :icon_sant :icon_sant