Mention Poker Playing/Studying in Job Interview?

B

buzzbuzz19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you talk about being a poker player in job interviews? I have an interview coming for a financial analyst job and in prepping I realized I can answer a lot of common questions with experiences I have studying and playing poker. I'm just worried that interviewers might just hear that I play poker and write me off as a degenerate gambler.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you talk about being a poker player in job interviews? I have an interview coming for a financial analyst job and in prepping I realized I can answer a lot of common questions with experiences I have studying and playing poker. I'm just worried that interviewers might just hear that I play poker and write me off as a degenerate gambler.

If you have a big win - like $500k or several wins that add up to that much - or if you are known in the poker community - then you should mention it - so that they hear it from you and not from office rumors.

I have a friend with a big tournament win and he lists it in his resume. If the interviewer wants to talk about it then fine.

If every answer in a job interview involves poker then you will seem 1-dimensional.

So in general - I would not talk about poker in a job interview.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I agree with Poker Mike. Don't mention it, unless it is a big part of your life and you are known in the poker community. In my opinion, more employers might consider your poker interest in a negative light, compared to those who see it positively. This would be especially true if you are being asked to manage money matters. Employers might be concerned that you are going to 'gamble' with their money.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think it depends on the job requirements, and how well (and succinctly) you can demonstrate that your knowledge and experience adds value to your candidacy.

A

Arnakk2424

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I did because I had 2-3 years with no "real" job. I didn't wanted them to believe I was in jail
But I will not told them unless they ask if you have hobbies, etc. and you can turn it at your advantage if you feel its may help.
But some peoples think poker are pure gambling like video poker,etc. so its not be a smart idea to tell them u spend all your friend time on gambling.

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you have to avoid mention poker on your job interview.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well if your looking for a job that requires a lot of sitting around doing nothing, till the boss tell you to go out & collect some money & beat the s*** out of the guy if he doesn't have it, might be worth mentioning. Otherwise probably not, if they ask about any felonies, answer with the number, do not ask "do you mean just convictions or all felony arrests." Good luck. :angel:

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It depends on the person interviewing you! If he is a fixative and conservative person in the field in which he works, it would be better to focus on answers only on that side.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Most people consider this game an expensive vice, so if you're not making big bank with your Poker adventures you better don't mention it all.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
never :), at least in Romania, when everyone hears about poker or other games, they immediately look at you as a gambler and you are excluded

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think people are ready to hear this, at least not as a positive thing cause in most of societies poker is known as a high risk gambling game

lukovnikofff

lukovnikofff

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker players are treated differently everywhere, but it seems to me that most people perceive poker players as obsessed and addicted, so I would not advise you to talk about poker! But this is my personal opinion! Good luck with your interview!

balo

balo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
No that's a bad idea. Most people do not consider poker as work.

B

bla1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Last edited:
FF2586

FF2586

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hey !
I like this threat and this question a lot.
I struggle with my entourage when it comes to poker. Where I live, poker means gambling. But if people were informed about it they would know that the experience you get "playing" poker is similar to the experience you get at any "serious" job.

I consider poker as my own business.

Gl at the tables

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should never mention that you are a poker player or participate in any kind of gambling, that is always viewed in a bad way especially when it has to do with any kind of Jobs dealing with finances. Put yourself in their shoes, would you hire someone like that?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes,,,,you should throw in that you get drunk and kick your dog,,perhaps a few little felonys you might have also. :deal: Good luck job hunting!! :D

DanS87

DanS87

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you have a big win - like $500k or several wins that add up to that much - or if you are known in the poker community - then you should mention it - so that they hear it from you and not from office rumors.

I have a friend with a big tournament win and he lists it in his resume. If the interviewer wants to talk about it then fine.

If every answer in a job interview involves poker then you will seem 1-dimensional.

So in general - I would not talk about poker in a job interview.

As an ex-recruiter (I'm no longer one now just to clarify, got out of that game a few years ago thank god), if I was asked this from a candidate, my response would be to avoid the conversation entirely and to definitely not put it on your CV/resume.

Some people have a very dim view of gambling in anyway shape or form, and there is no way to know how a potential employer may view poker. In most cases you would probably be fine, however do you want to risk losing out on the opportunity because the hiring manager is anti-gambling and doesn't like the idea of their potential employees playing poker?

Once you are in the job, if they find out via office rumours etc. then by that point it is too late and there is not anything they can do as you have already been employed. They cannot fire you for your hobbies outside of work (in most cases, there are some exceptions).

Ultimately I would keep your poker playing to yourself until you have got the job and have had a chance to feel out the companies/managers views on poker in general. If they invite you to an office poker game for example, then I'd take that as a green flag and discussing it would likely not be a problem (other than them worrying you'll be too good and un-inviting you of course)

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you owned or ran a business is that a quality (possible high risk gambling) you would want to hear for your company? The idea is what can benefit the company no matter how casual the interview my be …if the subject of hobbies comes up, it is always a good idea to keep things simple, because they just want to know you won’t be complicated lol

You are there to make the company money and be productive…

I always found it ironic that some companies say “we are family”

To me thats the last thing a company is.

Another reason is it’s a very niche hobby, and many do not understand it. Also Let’s say you make an error a few months into working for the company, someone could say, “This Isn’t poker, we don’t like taking chances here at Initech” try to be more careful in the future lol.

If your hobbies are reading and photography, well they don’t have a lot to work with there lol

Last edited:
M

Mr_Nuisance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have to agree with many of the comments before me. Unless you are highly regarded in the poker community with proof to back it up, it is probably not wise to mention it through a job interview. For people outside of the poker community, it does not come off as a positive trait, rather they might question your motives and might just consider you a gambler that is so "addicted" that they feel the need to mention it on their resume.

While you have a whole community that knows that isn't the case, corporate American culture doesn't care what poker has to offer. However, if you could prove to your potential employers the impact that you have had on the poker community, that might show your leadership capabilities to some extent. I also just recently acquired a financial role with a major company just this past month. Poker and finance just go hand in hand!

K

Kevin212121

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha i thought about this

This was something I always thought about lololol. Although i dont think itll contribute to anything:mad::mad::mad:

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
If this is only a hobbie dont do that, if you are a poker pro with proves that you are a pro player then in that only scenario ill mention that.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I don't think you should talk about it. Your employers may think that you will play poker during the working day and this is probably not very good. Sometimes it is better to be silent than to talk too much. :)

I

intheline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A complicated question, because in my country there is still a lot of poker and people associate it with gambling. I would only mention it if I was scenario relevant and look there!
Poker is still seen with averted eyes, it can be risky. Just change yourself or have some familiarity with poker that you can do differently.