Mention Poker Playing/Studying in Job Interview?

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
caracaski220

I am my own boss, so I don't go to interviews. However, if I were to interview a candidate,I would probably frown on a gambler. Its probably better to not bring it up, and then use the skills you have derived from poker to enhance your work performance.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, it is a bad idea to mention it. This is because of typical perceptions. Perhaps your examples of your skills need some wording reframing so that you are not mentioning Poker in your examples. While this can be done, this can be tricky because they might ask where you accomplished that item if your example sounds too general. Then you would be stuck bringing up Poker. Most employers want concrete examples of performance or skills. Often they want to follow up on your stories to see if a former employer will corroborate the account you provide. Then if your example was from poker, your example is in trouble.

On the other hand if you sensed somehow that the employer was interested in hiring a poker player for a finance job, you still need to provide ways for the employer to corroborate your performance examples, which can be hard to do still.

In short, best to avoid it. If you must involve it, then have a mix of examples that do not all come from poker.

RustyRed83

RustyRed83

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I make the mistake, once, of mentioning poker as a hobby on my CV, this was for a job that I was told to go for from other management within the company, jobs for friends type thing. I never even got a interview, i asked my friends why. The answer, the boss does not like gamblers. It took me a while to figure out, where it came from, my CV one word poker. Whether or not we see poker as gambling, others do. And with gambling if it gets out of control, there comes addiction, risk, mood swings, irresponsible behaviour. And that is how a potential employer may see things. So in my opinion and experience, it is best to leave the poker bit out.

H

Hsac

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you talk about being a poker player in job interviews? I have an interview coming for a financial analyst job and in prepping I realized I can answer a lot of common questions with experiences I have studying and playing poker. I'm just worried that interviewers might just hear that I play poker and write me off as a degenerate gambler.
That depends. Know your audience. If you don't, then I would say to stay clear of the subject to be on the safe side. You definitely don't want to give them the impression that you might miss time at work because you're trying to get yourself unstuck in a game.

Rvstam

Rvstam

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
society is not yet ready for such summaries. I think many recruiters have heard it as if you are a junkie. don't tell unless asked.

ikescherer

ikescherer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Only talk if u have good things to mention, like big victories, how u learned to manage bankroll, discipline, mathematics and psichology.

If u can’t pass the image of a winner, don’t do it.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never mentioned poker at a job interview, but I have certainly considered it. Maybe next time. Good luck anyway!