Make a living with poker, is it possible?

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is certainly possible, but at first it is hellish work and money needs to be invested in education. It definitely doesn't appeal to me.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
It is possible for sure. I know some people irl who are really well off just playing poker (way better off than doing a regular job), but it's a huge grind. You need to know a lot about the game, always study new things about it, have insane patience and manage your bankroll really well. You must also take into account that you're taking monthly out of your bankroll for your living expenses and with some of a downswings that all the poker players face it can get really nasty sometimes.
One of the guys I know that made a living with poker started investing into real estate as soon as he had some bonus funds to do so, so he has something to fall back on to if his poker career whiffs. And I believe every professional poker player should do so. As soon as you can afford it you should branch out into other aspects of earning money, not just relying on one (imo quite volatile) way to earn money.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would think it very difficult to make a living playing poker. Investment in big tournaments is a gamble, you could lose your shirt, you have to be very skilled at reading people. Good luck to all who try.

W

WellAA

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
certainly is a good way to win some good dough $$$, You can do it as a second income, and when You win 1000 times more than Your first income, maybe this could be Your main way to win $$$, but never losing the fun of doing it because playing without fun will be worst than working as hell.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
Of course it is possible, you just have to have determination, love, discipline and patience to achieve it, in addition to studying hard and constantly updating yourself as in anything you dedicate yourself to since with the passing of time everything evolves.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
everything u put your head to is possible, unless the super model u have a crush on like Gisele Bundchen

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Yes of course , many poker players live from this !! BUt be aware !!! Not from freerolls !!! You absolutley can't make a living from FREEROLLS !!

Mantinhoo

Mantinhoo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LT
Chips
It's definitely possible, but it's easier to be a manager than a winning poker player. You need to always maintain extremely high concentration, learn to manage yourself perfectly, be an excellent psychologist, etc. Of course, if you follow the bankroll management of a professional poker player, then bad beats are not terrible.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
players all over the world make a living thru poker , both live and online . however its quite difficult , and i guess very few that try actually succeed

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it boils down to 2 things:
1. Living in a jurisdiction that allows you access to enough games
2. Effort

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It is possible, but you have to meet several conditions. First of all, focus on one type of game (MTT, cash gamem spins). After this you need a lot of study for this and respect the bankroll.

A

arshuns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
This is very difficult. Few people can win big money. I understand this, so I play not for money, but for fun.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Is it possible? yes, it is but is not just easy money. It will take time, a lot of work and will coy you a lot of time and money to get that far. The problem is most people won't put in the work to really become that good.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
It's possible, but it takes time, discipline, study, and many hours of practicing and analyzing your game.

mattiebumpo

mattiebumpo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Maybe as a cash player, but I think tournaments have too much variance. I enjoy it as a past time that can pay for itself and for travel. I think it would be too stressful since you would be at the mercy of luck and how other people play (which often does not make sense). As others have said, you would need lots of discipline, a strong mental mindset, and excellent bankroll management.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
first off, it is MUCH more difficult today than it was 10years ago. There's a player I see often on the tables I play on (micro/low stakes) and I have notes on him from playing in tournaments from 10+ years ago. Back then this player had $700k in profits (not total cashes.. 'profits') and along with MTT's he was a $60 sng 18man reg. Today he plays $7 avg. buyin MTT's. Is profitable but not making a killing at it obviously :(

I think keys are:
live in a region where the cost of living is CHEAP (Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam... ??)
Have a decent internet connection.
Study like your food & rent depends upon it (oh... it does)
Have the ability to play many tables for long hours.
Hang with a group of like-minded individuals (& hopefully some who are better at the game than you are)
Have a decent-sized bankroll to cover living expenses for 6mos. to 1yr. along with whatever is needed to play the game(s) you are playing in.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it's possible to make a living from poker, but it's important to remember that it takes skill, dedication and proper money management.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Are you a really good tournament player? How many cash tables and/or sng's can you fit on your screen(s) and play comfortably? If you have skills, can play online in your country without any legal drawbacks, and have a substantial starting bankroll you might have a shot.
Remember though, that the players making a living playing online are reeeeeeeaaaallllly good. Not a lot of fishy waters.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all know that nowadays, with all the technology and increasingly easy Internet access, many people are looking for ways to earn money through the Internet. And they see poker as a possibility of that happening. On the other hand, we know that it is a double edged blade, since you can win or lose. Even with a lot of bankroll management, studies, research and experience, we know that in the end the house is always the winner. In your opinion, is it possible to make money playing games or just a financial supplement? View attachment 330513
I believe is harder than it was 15 yes ago, however still being possible.

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, it is possible to make a living from playing poker, but it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, skill and proper financial management.

First of all, to become a professional poker player, you have to study and practice a lot. This includes learning the rules and strategies of the game, studying poker math, improving game reading and situation analysis skills, as well as acquiring the ability to control emotions during the game.

In addition, it is important to properly manage the bankroll (the money available to play poker), setting limits on how much to invest in each game and always keeping an emergency reserve. Professional poker players generally have the ability to control their impulses and not bet more than they can afford to lose.

Another important aspect is choosing the right games and tables. Professional poker players generally avoid tables that are too difficult or with very skilled players, and prefer to play at tables where they have a competitive advantage or where there are weaker players. They also know the different variants of poker well, and can play many types of games to maximize their profits.

In addition, professional poker players need to stay up to date on the latest trends and developments in the game, and they can participate in tournaments and competitions to earn more money and improve their skills. They can also work with coaches or mentors to further improve their skills and strategies.

However, playing poker for a living is not easy. In addition to the need to be skilled in the game, you need to have a disciplined lifestyle with strict routines. Many professional poker players spend long hours playing, studying and analyzing the game, which can be tiring and stressful. Furthermore, the life of a poker player can be lonely as they often have to travel to play in different tournaments and competitions.

Finally, it's important to remember that poker is a game of probabilities, and even the most skilled players can lose. Therefore, playing poker for a living requires careful financial planning and a long-term mindset.

In summary, it is possible to make a living from playing poker, but it requires a lot of skill, hard work and financial discipline. Professional poker players can make a lot of money and live an exciting life, but it's important to be aware of the risks involved and have a backup plan in case things don't go as expected.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I have 3 years of poker. After 1 year and a half I recovered all the money I put into Poker and from then on I started to be profitable. I don't have great results yet. But I already get an average of $100 per month. A welcome money in these times of high prices that we are living...

Sivraj

Sivraj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes you can but I highly do not recommend to play without a job or a source of income to justify and support your wins and losses.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes you can make money in poker but to make money in poker you have to take it from another player!!! Do you think you can do it easily???

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
it is obvious that it is possible, what other options can there be if you play well.