Luck

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello the All CardsChat Community! I think, the truth is somewhere in the middle, this means, if to say in general:
50% is Poker Skill, 50% is Luck... And, of course, these are not the hard numbers, and these are floating numbers,
which can change, as in an one side, so and in another side, in dependence from the different terms and conditions...:rolleyes:

M

MaZeee323

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say 60 skill and 40 luck. You can "bluff" many boards but if you're unlucky and your opponent is lucky you'll always loose. If he is gambling you can bluff what you want. But I play at most online poker, live game may be different.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck happens when all games work. Since you play with a bad hand and yet confrontation brings you good cards, I believe luck is a helping factor, but skill has to go hand in hand, only then do you become a champion.

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker requires a lot of skill in order to take your game to the next level for sure. However poker is still a game of chance and as any game of chance goes, luck is a major factor.

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. I am very happy that this thread generates several responses and comments. It is good that we understand that poker is not chess. That is, if I play 10,000 chess games against Magnus Carlsen (world champion), I will undoubtedly lose 10,000, but if I play 10,000 poker hands against any top-notch professional, it is very likely that, even if 1000 (maybe more) ), I win, simply by the influence of luck. I still insist, I love poker, but I will doubt very much who tells me that it is a game in which skill is a sufficient condition to be a winner(obviously it is a necessary and essential condition, but not sufficient). Of course, in the short term, luck will have a higher incidence rate and it is assumed that in the long term it will be lower, but I would never resemble poker with chess, perhaps backgammon is a more similar game (there is also a game in my country, the "Argentine truco" that is quite similar to poker). Well, I sincerely appreciate your participation and fundamentally your patience and support for this rookie. Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Last edited:
Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think in the region of 30%. But only a pokerstars representative can tell for sure))

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think for luck 60% and for skill 40%

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have all the players on the similar level , each one has a similar change to win, then you can say that the results are pure luck, but that is true with any other sport.
When the players have different skills, only the results on a single hand are random
and in the cash game you may say about some lucky strikes, but it does not last long, this is probably what many refer as 70 % skills 30% luck.
When you play MTT during some period of time the skills of players are more important than luck and more experienced ones win.

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that luck is what cards you get, but skill is what you do with it.

E

EvandroGatti

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. I am very happy that this thread generates several responses and comments. It is good that we understand that poker is not chess. That is, if I play 10,000 chess games against Magnus Carlsen (world champion), I will undoubtedly lose 10,000, but if I play 10,000 poker hands against any top-notch professional, it is very likely that, even if 1000 (maybe more) ), I win, simply by the influence of luck. I still insist, I love poker, but I will doubt very much who tells me that it is a game in which skill is a sufficient condition to be a winner(obviously it is a necessary and essential condition, but not sufficient). Of course, in the short term, luck will have a higher incidence rate and it is assumed that in the long term it will be lower, but I would never resemble poker with chess, perhaps backgammon is a more similar game (there is also a game in my country, the "Argentine truco" that is quite similar to poker). Well, I sincerely appreciate your participation and fundamentally your patience and support for this rookie. Best regards from Buenos Aires.

Warrior, I agree that you can win even a Star super pro poker player but in a long term scenary, most likely, he's going to beat your brains out because of skills. Imagine you playing a 3 or 4 day tournament with a 3 hour + HU.
Skill rules!

Gonegreen420

Gonegreen420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel lucky to have Gonegreen420 in Illinois!!! GL to All.......

fredastar777

fredastar777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
l believe this ratio is about 60% of skill choose start hand... 20% of luck after all in before river ...20 %bluffing skill and luck to choose wright bluffing victim

Last edited:
Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If you ask me, everyone decides these percentages with how they play.

If you go all-in pre-flop every single hand surely you're relying 100% on luck, no?

For me, somewhere between [70% skill - 30% luck] and [80% skill - 20% luck] would be my intention or estimation.

The level of my delusion is perhaps between 20% and 40% so in reality it's probably [14% skill - 86% luck] or [30% skill - 70% luck] for me... :D

Every dog has his day but there's a reason top pros win consistently and it isn't a rabbit's foot keychain..

It's understanding strategy, EV, ICM, having a good approximation of where you stand with incomplete information, patience and tenacity.

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is, for you, the percentage of influence of luck in poker?

Thought about what I was going to write for this.

So here's Me, Vs Me, Table
Me. 10% luck, 80% skill, 10% bad play

Vs Me: 90% luck, 10% skill :rolleyes:

Table: 75% skill, 25% luck hitting the flop, because turns, rivers, getting there happen. If there are 2 people in the hand, generally somebody has the better hand=skill, somebody doesn't have the better hand but wins=luck. And then there's skill at making bluffs or the skill to lay down and be correct doing so.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If you ask me, everyone decides these percentages with how they play.

If you go all-in pre-flop every single hand surely you're relying 100% on luck, no?

For me, somewhere between [70% skill - 30% luck] and [80% skill - 20% luck] would be my intention or estimation.

The level of my delusion is perhaps between 20% and 40% so in reality it's probably [14% skill - 86% luck] or [30% skill - 70% luck] for me... :D

Every dog has his day but there's a reason top pros win consistently and it isn't a rabbit's foot keychain..

It's understanding strategy, EV, ICM, having a good approximation of where you stand with incomplete information, patience and tenacity.
If you're going all in pre-flop with 2Qo and hitting your full house, then following that up with three more hands just like it, then you are relying on more than luck. Just saying for anyone who still doesn't get it.

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course skill is the most important but as everyone knows that sometimes an all in is inevitable and sometimes you come across a 70/30 or 60/40 then you have to count on luck!

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u play good.. You need to avoid 25% of bad luck (3 to 1)

If u play bad.. You need to have 75% of luck or 60% and above..

When you stop and think about it .. 3 to 1 is too much to avoid.. is not like 10 to 1..

There is so much luck involved

lanelane

lanelane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is, for you, the percentage of influence of luck in poker?

It would be difficult to give an exact percentage answer to this question, but surely skill is more important in poker than luck. I think so.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I stopped worry about my luck years ago. I make my own luck in poker and in life.

Hello! I didn't know that you are a part of Cardschat community too! Your articles helped me to improve in micro-limits cash games, thank you very much!

jumaischi

jumaischi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the most of the time you need to focus on other players on your table...to see what hands do they play and how...

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there was no bad luck I would have no luck at all.
They let me win some and then over the week they slowly take it away. Repeat

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I understand that if you seriously blame luck without irony or sarcasm, than you just play not enough hands. On distance for smart players there is no luck, though even pros compare net won and ev won and usually ev line is higher on graphics. :)

Warrior1961

Warrior1961

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you all for your comments, opinions and advice. Best regards from Buenos Aires.