Let's build some bankroll - who's with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Day 0: 100% ($677)

Day 1: 94.5% ($640)

Day 2: 83.5% ($568)

Day 3: 99.5% ($670)

Tilted hardcore today, was down to under 400. Played a $40 45 plyr mtt, came in 3rd for $288 :)

If your starting bankroll is about $600, you cannot afford to play the limits you are playing. It makes no difference whether you are a winning player or a losing player. If you exceed the limits of prudent bankroll management, you will lose.

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All I play is 11$ and 22$ sit and go single tables?

I mentioned the tilt part, hence playing (1) $40 game, and recieving a nice gift back from doing so.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, I disagree, although I realize you said this half-jokingly.:)

Dang. What half did I put in that in any way seemed to be serious? I surely think Chris is and will continue to be a winning player over the long run.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris, I am curious why you don't seem to play SNGs anymore. Do you think cash games are more profitable or is that just a preference issue for you?
The main reason was availability of games. At Ongame, end of the line were $100 SNGs. The $200 ones just wouldn't fill up. Once or twice, I had registered, waited for over an hour, but the game never started because there weren't enough players.

I haven't checked the situation at pokerstars yet, but would think that it's not going to be much different. I want to play four tournaments at the same time, and I think this is going to be a problem.
But yeah, I guess I should at least check cause I really like tournament play.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't access the chart this morning. Temporary problem?

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The main reason was availability of games. At Ongame, end of the line were $100 SNGs. The $200 ones just wouldn't fill up. Once or twice, I had registered, waited for over an hour, but the game never started because there weren't enough players.

I haven't checked the situation at Pokerstars yet, but would think that it's not going to be much different. I want to play four tournaments at the same time, and I think this is going to be a problem.
But yeah, I guess I should at least check cause I really like tournament play.

Usually 4-6 games running of $235 Sit and goes on Stars. Should be good enough hehe.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't access the chart this morning. Temporary problem?

Sorry pigpen. The server was down by accident. I run a dedicated virtual server for this application which is temporarily hosted on my windows machine because I am transitioning my real server.

The server is up now.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress Update

Day 71: 499% ($9,984)
Day 72: 412% ($8,249)
Day 73: 481% ($9,626)

I've been playing $3/$6 again since yesterday, and the level still hates me.

Least profitable hands:
1.) KK / 30 times / -$50.65 per hand
3.) TT / 30 times / -$23.32 per hand
5.) JJ / 32 times / -$18.06 per hand
7.) 44 / 30 times / -$14.56 per hand
8.) KQ / 83 times / -$12.99 per hand
10.) AJs / 23 times / -$9.06 per hand

And no, AA, QQ and AK don't make up for it, not even close :D

Attachments

• ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 51
T

ts69even3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bank roll

ok, I put $50 in on pokerstars, 2.5 months ago and I am sitting on $212 as of today. whats my % lol...

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress Update

Day 71: 499% ($9,984)

I've been playing $3/$6 again since yesterday, and the level still hates me.

Least profitable hands:
1.) KK / 30 times / -$50.65 per hand
3.) TT / 30 times / -$23.32 per hand
5.) JJ / 32 times / -$18.06 per hand
7.) 44 / 30 times / -$14.56 per hand
8.) KQ / 83 times / -$12.99 per hand
10.) AJs / 23 times / -$9.06 per hand

And no, AA, QQ and AK don't make up for it, not even close :D

Wow. Are these stats for Razz?

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok, I put $50 in on pokerstars, 2.5 months ago and I am sitting on $212 as of today. whats my % lol...

%_bankroll = current_bankroll/initial_bankroll *100%
= $212/$50 * 100%
= 4.24 * 100%
= 424%

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. Are these stats for Razz?
I only play No Limit. I don't even know the rules for most other kinds of poker.

In the long run, all pocket pairs (22 through AA) have made me on average two big blinds per pair.
At $3/$6, I am just over break-even after 450 pocket pairs, or roughly 9 stacks below my longer-term* average.

*I've only played about 80K hands of cash games, so I don't want to call it "long term".

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play No Limit. I don't even know the rules for most other kinds of poker.

In the long run, all pocket pairs (22 through AA) have made me on average two big blinds per pair.
At $3/$6, I am just over break-even after 450 pocket pairs, or roughly 9 stacks below my longer-term* average.

*I've only played about 80K hands of cash games, so I don't want to call it "long term".

I was joking. In Razz the worst hand wins. KK, for example, is a very bad hand. Your stats for big hands would be normal for Razz.:D

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
%_bankroll = current_bankroll/initial_bankroll *100%
= $212/$50 * 100%
= 4.24 * 100%
= 424%

I guess I didn't think that was a serious question. I should not have given a complicated mathematical answer. I forget that some players might not be engineers.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress Update

Day 74: 542% ($10,834)

I'm totally owning 600NL. Well, not quite, but at least I finished with two stacks of profit..

Oh yeah, in case somebody was wondering - I didn't stick to my 5-3-2 system. As I briefly mentioned yesterday, I've been playing 600NL for three days now. I started playing it when I had just under 10K, and I'm buying in for the max as opposed to $500.

I even took a stab at 1000NL yesterday when I started with only $8,249 :eek:
I'm not exactly sure what went into me, it's the first time I "took a shot", and I wasn't even close to properly rolled for it.
I intended to stop playing immediately should I lose one full stack, but it was pretty insane nonetheless. Fortunately, I ran pretty well, and 250 hands made me about $750 of profit.

I quickly realized that I was playing with scared money, so I stopped the madness. Right now, I feel pretty comfortable at 600NL with full buy-ins, but I do realize that I'm overextending my bankroll rules quite a bit.
I'm patient at the tables, but when it comes to growing my bankroll, things just can't go fast enough.

I've often preached to never look at past peaks in the graph, but that's exactly what I'm doing, and it's hard to stop it. I know that I've been to 15K and that I should be way beyond that by now, so I keep wanting to "get back there". The right way to look at things is to just look at the current bankroll and not care about past performance, but it's real difficult.

In times like these, I feel it's appropriate to once again post our big mentor's graph to realize the meaning of the word "variance".

Does anybody know whether Chris Ferguson can be contacted via e-mail? I have a few questions concerning his bankroll challenge which seems to have been running badly as of late.

Attachments

• ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    ChrisTC_bankroll2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 142
Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progress Update

Day 74: 542% ($10,834)

I'm totally owning 600NL. Well, not quite, but at least I finished with two stacks of profit..

Oh yeah, in case somebody was wondering - I didn't stick to my 5-3-2 system. As I briefly mentioned yesterday, I've been playing 600NL for three days now. I started playing it when I had just under 10K, and I'm buying in for the max as opposed to $500.

I even took a stab at 1000NL yesterday when I started with only $8,249 :eek:
I'm not exactly sure what went into me, it's the first time I "took a shot", and I wasn't even close to properly rolled for it.
I intended to stop playing immediately should I lose one full stack, but it was pretty insane nonetheless. Fortunately, I ran pretty well, and 250 hands made me about $750 of profit.

I quickly realized that I was playing with scared money, so I stopped the madness. Right now, I feel pretty comfortable at 600NL with full buy-ins, but I do realize that I'm overextending my bankroll rules quite a bit.
I'm patient at the tables, but when it comes to growing my bankroll, things just can't go fast enough.

I've often preached to never look at past peaks in the graph, but that's exactly what I'm doing, and it's hard to stop it. I know that I've been to 15K and that I should be way beyond that by now, so I keep wanting to "get back there". The right way to look at things is to just look at the current bankroll and not care about past performance, but it's real difficult.

In times like these, I feel it's appropriate to once again post our big mentor's graph to realize the meaning of the word "variance".

Does anybody know whether Chris Ferguson can be contacted via e-mail? I have a few questions concerning his bankroll challenge which seems to have been running badly as of late.

The laws of statistics have no memory who was ahead or behind.

Regarding CF's graph: Variance is not synonymous with poor BR management. Either he doesn't follow his rules or his rules are no good.

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone looks to be on the upslope, so Nj. :)

After viewing some of the graphs closely, (it's kind of hard to tell exactly when people took days off...) I feel the weekend play, which includes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, has a great deal to do with the down slopes more than a few of us have incurred. My theory is that better play comes out on the weekend and the donkey's play get worse, causing everyone's usual game to get slightly off track at times and possibly causing a downward tear.

I guess that's my theory...and maybe the long hours some of us play on the weekend can account for some of this. But, for one reason or another, I'm beginning to believe you have to keep a close eye on how you play, and what exactly happened, because the weekend brings unexpected consequences when otherwise we're running smoothly going into it.
Crack-Pot theory. Eh. You can make your own judgments. ;)

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regarding CF's graph: Variance is not synonymous with poor BR management. Either he doesn't follow his rules or his rules are no good.
Maybe he stopped following these rules after he hit 10K. That's why it's a shame there's no information on what and how he's currently playing.

Cheetah

Cheetah

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone looks to be on the upslope, so Nj. :)

After viewing some of the graphs closely, (it's kind of hard to tell exactly when people took days off...) I feel the weekend play, which includes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, has a great deal to do with the down slopes more than a few of us have incurred. My theory is that better play comes out on the weekend and the donkey's play get worse, causing everyone's usual game to get slightly off track at times and possibly causing a downward tear.

I guess that's my theory...and maybe the long hours some of us play on the weekend can account for some of this. But, for one reason or another, I'm beginning to believe you have to keep a close eye on how you play, and what exactly happened, because the weekend brings unexpected consequences when otherwise we're running smoothly going into it.
Crack-Pot theory. Eh. You can make your own judgments. ;)

Yes, true. But we also all secretly cheer for Chris:)

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I cheer for both. ;)

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level