****Juggernaut June Poker Chat Thread******

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really dont think it makes much of a difference, i really dont think ur opponents are going to stack off lighter just cause ur in for 95bb instead of 100bb and i just dont think it will affect their play that much

what may make a difference is if u play like a fish for the first few orbits

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it could possibly make a small difference at 200NL+, maybe 100NL because players there are thinking about that sort of thing a little more. even then, i'm not sure if it'd be worth it. but at 50NL i'd say you're definitely better off with the extra 3 BBs in your stack

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it could possibly make a small difference at 200NL+, maybe 100NL because players there are thinking about that sort of thing a little more. even then, i'm not sure if it'd be worth it. but at 50NL i'd say you're definitely better off with the extra 3 BBs in your stack

At 200nl+, if you play regularly, all the other regs know you anyway, so it doesn't change a thing, imo.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea, its probably just costing me a bb/100 or something...but I just don't like following WV's mandates. Same reason I open limp occasionally. ;)

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At 200nl+, if you play regularly, all the other regs know you anyway, so it doesn't change a thing, imo.

yea the obvious problem would be when you started playing against the regs at that limit. It would be just for the first few k hands at a new level anyhow, while no one had reads, etc

Just something i was wondering about

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea the obvious problem would be when you started playing against the regs at that limit. It would be just for the first ~50 hands at a new level anyhow, while no one had reads, etc

Just something i was wondering about

FYP

The only time any reg is going to use stack size is if it's an unknown. After 50 hands if you're playing like 14/12 at FR or something around there with vpip close to pfr and not >30 they're going to assume you're competent and not really use the stack size on how to play against you. And regs are really the only people it would work against anyway just because non-regs probably wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

jdeliverer

jdeliverer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP

The only time any reg is going to use stack size is if it's an unknown. After 50 hands if you're playing like 14/12 at FR or something around there with vpip close to pfr and not >30 they're going to assume you're competent and not really use the stack size on how to play against you. And regs are really the only people it would work against anyway just because non-regs probably wouldn't notice that kind of thing.

Depends on how many regs there are at the limit I would think; if you are seeing 8 new people every time you sit down for the first 10 sessions then you could get in a decent number.

Of course, people will probably forget what you bought in for, especially if you steal a few blinds and get up to the normal table max.

O

orangepeeleo

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol

Just doing a search for AHK scripts for full tilt, found a nice review of RobinP's Full tilt tools, by a certain sean gibson!

Small world.... icemonkey, cheers for aiding my move to FT lol

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice to get the nuts preflop and have it hold sometimes:

poker stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players

CO: $52.25 (104.5 bb)
BTN: $46 (92 bb)
SB: $63.15 (126.3 bb)
BB: $54.35 (108.7 bb)
UTG: $186.70 (373.4 bb)
UTG+1: $53.95 (107.9 bb)
MP1: $25.50 (51 bb)
MP2: $26.90 (53.8 bb)
Hero (MP3): $53.30 (106.6 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is MP3 with 7
spade.gif
heart.gif

UTG raises to $1.50, 3 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, 3 folds, BB calls $4, UTG calls $3

Flop: ($13.75) 4
spade.gif
club.gif
T
diamond.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, UTG bets $4.50, Hero raises to $9, BB folds, UTG calls $4.50

Turn: ($31.75) 7
heart.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets $5, Hero raises to $39.80 and is all-in, UTG calls $34.80

River: ($111.35) J
spade.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $111.35 pot ($3 rake)
UTG showed A
heart.gif
Q
heart.gif
(a pair of Sevens) and lost (-$53.30 net)
Hero showed 7
spade.gif
heart.gif
(three of a kind, Sevens) and won $108.35 ($55.05 net)

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Beautiful weather outside, a friend calls you and asks if you want to go with him to a pool party, a girl you're into is going to be there. But you still haven't finished your volume goals for the week yet. And you've been running bad lately; you can't seem to win a showdown and you're pretty sick of playing.

Would you stay home and play poker? And play your A-game?

If the answer to that is "of course!" then you're probably deluding yourself. If the answer to that is "naw; I can make up for it later" then you should probably take the job at the mall.

Poker is a really tough way to make an easy living.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well you're treating poker as free money that has no work involved, and that's extremely far from the case. Pretty sure putting in any reasonable number of hands for full-time play is far more stressful and mentally demanding than any mall job you'll get. If you're willing to put in the work and effort to do it then you'll probably make more money but it just seems like you think poker would be easy money and reality's gonna hit you kinda hard if you enter with that mindset.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Beautiful weather outside, a friend calls you and asks if you want to go with him to a pool party, a girl you're into is going to be there. But you still haven't finished your volume goals for the week yet. And you've been running bad lately; you can't seem to win a showdown and you're pretty sick of playing.

Would you stay home and play poker? And play your A-game?

If the answer to that is "of course!" then you're probably deluding yourself. If the answer to that is "naw; I can make up for it later" then you should probably take the job at the mall.

Poker is a really tough way to make an easy living.

lol what? Personally I think this is one of the pluses of doing poker. If you have work your boss will hardly just let you off to go to a pool party whereas if you're playing poker you can put in hands whenever you want to. Obviously you have to be able to motivate yourself to put in the hands, but you can go to the pool party and then go play poker 10pm-6am to make up for it. Now if you let it become a common occurrence and then don't make up the hands, I can see what you're saying.

Bottom line is self-motivation though and being able to handle the short-term swings. Unless you have like a few month's "salary" saved up not being results oriented can be tough. I don't know too much about your personal situation but I'd be inclined to take both at least at first and if poker is really successful and you hate the mall job then you can always quit the mall job. There's also something to be said for being able to actually interact with people at work.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poor poor Baby Jesus! :(

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players

UTG+1: $52 (104 bb)
MP1: $49.50 (99 bb)
MP2: $85.25 (170.5 bb)
MP3: $62.15 (124.3 bb)
CO: $200.60 (401.2 bb)
BTN: $52.75 (105.5 bb)
SB: $29.50 (59 bb)
BB: $48.25 (96.5 bb)
Hero (UTG): $93 (186 bb)

Pre-Flop: Hero is UTG with 7
club.gif
J
diamond.gif

Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, SB folds, BB checks

Flop: ($2.75) 4
club.gif
heart.gif
diamond.gif
(5 players)
BB checks, Hero bets $5, MP2 folds, CO calls $5, BTN folds, BB folds

Turn: ($12.75) 6
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets $87.50 and is all-in, CO folds

Results: $12.75 pot ($0.60 rake)
Hero mucked 7
club.gif
J
diamond.gif
(a straight, Four to Eight) and won $12.15 ($6.65 net)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

club.gif
J
diamond.gif

Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, SB folds, BB checks

club.gif
heart.gif
diamond.gif
(5 players)

diamond.gif
(2 players)

Hero mucked 7
club.gif
J
diamond.gif

nh. I place full blame on your opponents for allowing you to get away with it. Love the turn shove btw.

kleitches

kleitches

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

club.gif
J
diamond.gif

club.gif
heart.gif
diamond.gif
(5 players)

diamond.gif
(2 players)

Hero mucked 7
club.gif
J
diamond.gif

Way to get value, donk :p

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im going to be playing full time just for July, yay. 7 hours a day ftw, more of an experiment more than anything.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can go to the pool party and then go play poker 10pm-6am to make up for it
I don't even know how to reply to this. I've started writing like 10 different sentences, but I simply lack the words. And I don't see how it can be a level either. Seriously, what?

Yeah, lots of free time is the perk of poker. But the free time comes after you put in the hours. Taking it out on credit is oh-so-easy, but making up for it is anything but. The way you make up for it is by putting in a lot of extra hours some other day, and that tends to take a toll on how well you play. If you play as well in your 8th hour as you do in your fourth, then I'd be very surprised. Obviously, coming home after a pool party and playing 8 hours straight through the night is probably the worst way imaginable to make up for lost volume. The way I can make that a worse idea is if you also come home drunk - which is perhaps not that far-fetched to think one might from a party.

The bottom line is this: An employer makes you show up on time, do your job and you get paid. Playing poker, you're going to have to CHOOSE to put in the hours, and there's always - always - going to be a more attractive option available. If it's not a pool party, it's a movie on TV. Or it's a video game. Or it's a date. Or it's reading a book. Or it's taking a nap. Having a job isn't "better" than playing poker, it's just easier because someone else without a stake in it makes the choice for you.

But if you're not dependent on the money and it's just "hey, whatever" then by all means play poker; as long as it doesn't matter whether or not you're able to make monthly cashouts I think poker is a great idea. Then again, if the money isn't useful then I'm not sure why you would even consider taking a job at the mall; there's more fun things to do than work.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even know how to reply to this. I've started writing like 10 different sentences, but I simply lack the words. And I don't see how it can be a level either. Seriously, what?

Yeah, lots of free time is the perk of poker. But the free time comes after you put in the hours. Taking it out on credit is oh-so-easy, but making up for it is anything but. The way you make up for it is by putting in a lot of extra hours some other day, and that tends to take a toll on how well you play. If you play as well in your 8th hour as you do in your fourth, then I'd be very surprised. Obviously, coming home after a pool party and playing 8 hours straight through the night is probably the worst way imaginable to make up for lost volume. The way I can make that a worse idea is if you also come home drunk - which is perhaps not that far-fetched to think one might from a party.

The bottom line is this: An employer makes you show up on time, do your job and you get paid. Playing poker, you're going to have to CHOOSE to put in the hours, and there's always - always - going to be a more attractive option available. If it's not a pool party, it's a movie on TV. Or it's a video game. Or it's a date. Or it's reading a book. Or it's taking a nap. Having a job isn't "better" than playing poker, it's just easier because someone else without a stake in it makes the choice for you.

But if you're not dependent on the money and it's just "hey, whatever" then by all means play poker; as long as it doesn't matter whether or not you're able to make monthly cashouts I think poker is a great idea. Then again, if the money isn't useful then I'm not sure why you would even consider taking a job at the mall; there's more fun things to do than work.

Not a level at all. I specifically mentioned having to be able to motivate yourself and get the hours in sometime. But I've been playing full-time about 6 months and have never had any kind of schedule. I have hand goals and I've just had no problems meeting them. When I feel like it I'll put in a 10k hand session and when I feel I'm not playing as well I'll play a few short sessions a day sometimes just to make sure I'm focused or not play at all/spend time studying rather than playing. Obviously if your friends are holding pool parties every day you can't blow off poker to do that every day but if it's just one day what's wrong with shifting your playing time from daytime to night time or skipping a day and making up for it other days?

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too nitty? (i really think the guy had aces...player specific read here)

pokerstars, $0.10/0.25 Pot limit Omaha Cash Games, 6 Players
Hand Converter by Pokerhand.org

Board:
HERO (Button): $75.55
corhydron (SB): $42.95
OGENEO (BB): $8.55
Team Dukers (UTG): $27.50
absenty13 (UTG+1): $34.15
georgzaza (CO): $13.90

Dealt to HERO K 8 K 9

Pre-flop:
(1 folds), absenty13 raises to $.85, (1 folds), HERO calls $.85, (1 folds), OGENEO calls $.60

Flop: ($2.65) 7 A 3 (3 Players)
OGENEO checks, absenty13 checks, HERO checks

Turn: ($2.65) K (3 Players)
OGENEO checks, absenty13 bets $1, HERO raises to $4, (1 folds), absenty13 raises to $14.55, (1 folds), absenty13 returns $10.55

Results:
absenty13 wins $10.15

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was nice.

--------------------
HAND #1
--------------------
Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
Hand History Converter by Stoxpoker
BB: $14.45 (28.9 bb)
Hero (MP): $60.60 (121.2 bb)
CO: $126.25 (252.5 bb)
BTN: $82.35 (164.7 bb)
SB: $62.50 (125 bb)
Pre-Flop: Hero is MP with 8
club.gif
heart.gif

Hero raises to $1.50, 2 folds, SB calls $1.25, BB calls $1
Flop: ($4.50) 8
spade.gif
spade.gif
diamond.gif
(3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3, BB calls $3
Turn: ($13.50) 3
diamond.gif
(3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $10, SB calls $10, BB folds
River: ($33.50) 3
club.gif
(2 players)
SB checks, Hero bets $46.10 and is all-in, SB calls $46.10
Results: $125.70 pot ($2.00 rake)
Hero showed 8
club.gif
heart.gif
(four of a kind, Eights) and won $123.70 ($63.10 net)
SB mucked 9
diamond.gif
T
diamond.gif
(two pairs, Nines and Eights) and lost (-$60.60 net)

Thirty seconds later on another table AA stacks KK versus the same guy :)