Jose "Girah" Macedo admits to scamming

F4STFORW4RD

F4STFORW4RD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny you worded it like that, when I read the article earlier today I wondered the same thing.
If they were logging on and off Skype at the same time, doesn't that imply that there were two of them?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they were logging on and off Skype at the same time, doesn't that imply that there were two of them?

There's a chance I'm misremebering things but I think girah was logging on and off skype at the same time sauron connects/disconnects, implying it's the same person

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a chance I'm misremebering things but I think girah was logging on and off skype at the same time sauron connects/disconnects, implying it's the same person

correct

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is how I took it...what an idiot.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jungleman and haseeb looking absurdly shady

R

rugby0

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a real problem for those of us that do not understand the lingo or the tec. Where can you learn this stuff?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
jungleman and haseeb looking absurdly shady
Isn't jungleman really successful playing online? why would he need to get shady?
This is a real problem for those of us that do not understand the lingo or the tec. Where can you learn this stuff?

Google is your friend, or if you feel like asking in here most members are glad to help out.
(except marginal when I was trying to figure out ainec, and he replied that I wasn't even close, which is not funny now that I know what is is, lol)

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Isn't jungleman really successful playing online? why would he need to get shady?

Why would girah need to 'get shady' and try a ridic obvious scam for 30k if hes won 2mil online?

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would girah need to 'get shady' and try a ridic obvious scam for 30k if hes won 2mil online?
lol he said because he felt guilty for having his "friend" try online poker and sucking so bad he lost so much money so it was sort of ...compensation? lol

G

genleemb

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Greed ...ego ...just to name 2 reasons. The 30k number is just the tip of the iceberg. I watched a vid were he was talking about trying to get in the durrr and isuldur1 challenges.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol he said because he felt guilty for having his "friend" try online poker and sucking so bad he lost so much money so it was sort of ...compensation? lol

A "friend" who d/c'd at exactly the same time as girah logging out of Skype, twice? Why not just teach him to play and let him win the money back?

Greed ...ego ...just to name 2 reasons. The 30k number is just the tip of the iceberg. I watched a vid were he was talking about trying to get in the durrr and isuldur1 challenges.

How is that relevant to him cheating other players tho, unless he was going to try and get durrrr to let his "friend" TV him during the challenge :p

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah this is so weird. Like he needed to scam $30k but was interested in the durrrr challenge? This is where I kinda think the jungleman shadiness/wild conspiracy theories comes in

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pure scumbag, ban him from all sites imo.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Been following this since the news broke too.

The suspicion is that he never turned the $30 into $2M in the first place. Some are speculating that not only has Haseeb been writing blog entries and whatnot for him (admittedly) but that he's been playing for him too. People who know Girah's other screen names have stated that he was a mediocre player at best, and speculation is this "prodigy" persona was cooked up by Haseeb. So far Haseeb is looking pretty bad in this, especially after his threat to withhold payback, after promising it, if they went public. The IM chat logs are pretty damning.

Jungleman's role is more questionable -- I for one don't think he was actively involved from what I've seen, more likely he just trusted Haseeb and followed along.

ckickenking

ckickenking

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Macedo is a scumbag, ban his dumbass from all site. As for jungleman I think he is innocent because of his disassociating of Macedo following the scamming.

Kanivision

Kanivision

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i have to say that this guy is just a plain loser, when u have to scam ppl out pf money how can u call ur self a man or even a poker player, what a donk

MidyMat

MidyMat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once a poker cheat always a poker cheat.
He is not sorry for cheating. He is sorry he got caught.
If he had not gotten caught I bet he would still be cheating.

taaron

taaron

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Greater regulation would or at least could hopefully help; is there a way that if you are logged into a poker room, it would auto disconnect you from all forms of im or sms. I don't know, as I am definitley not computer savvy. Its just so shameful [about collusion and scamming] Playing online has been so much fun, it sucks to think about ppl doing crap like that.

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That idea wouldn't really help anything unfortunately - there are plenty of legit reasons to use IM. Grinding is solo enough as it is without cutting people off from the world completely when they play.

You could just set up a separate laptop anyway

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
idk.. why would Carter bdybldngpkrplyr Phillips burn Tom Marchese for $25k after winning an EPT & doing well online?

Why would Ivan Demidov's backers burn him for his share of the wsop MainEvent 2nd place of $5.8mil?

Last edited:
Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
idk.. why would Carter bdybldngpkrplyr Phillips burn Tom Marchese for $25k after winning an EPT & doing well online?

Why would Ivan Demidov's backers burn him for his share of the WSOP MainEvent 2nd place of $5.8mil?

2nd one is clearly greed, that's a lot of money.

Phillips isn't really a similar situation at all. :)

B

bigphatmike

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Felt obligated to share this news as not everyone here reads that other poker forum, plus, not too long ago I linked one of his videos.

For those who don't know, this kid, Jose Macedo, arose as a "Portuguese Poker Prodigy," who apparently lived the dream of turning $30 into $2 million or something as a 16-18-year-old wiz kid.

He got sponsorships and some big-name pros vouched for him, including DogisHead and Jungleman12. DIH and JM were planning on moving to Portugal to live with him.

Now it's come out that Girah had started a Skype/coaching group for HSNL players. He would sweat their sessions in real time, and apparently encouraged them to play someone named Sauron1989. But he was superusing and Sauron1989 took his students for around $30K.
wow stories like this guys scares me seriously in the online poker game... im always scared that some crazy foreigner ( no offense) or something like that is colluding or cheating somehow

Mac Poker