Jeff Shulman to throw WSOP Bracelet in Garbage if he Wins!!!

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Mr, Back Paddle now says well ?????

He can back paddle like a flippen wimp and now change his mind if he likes.

Either way what was said is said.
Disrespect is disrespect.
Slice it any way you would like.

Like hes going to win this.
That's Funny.

If you side with him I get the point.
Do as you do and be as you be.

If it isn't Good for Poker then it's not good for CC members either.
He is a disgrace to the poker community.

Enough said.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mr, Back Paddle now says well ?????

He can back paddle like a flippen wimp and now change his mind if he likes.

Either way what was said is said.
Disrespect is disrespect.
Slice it any way you would like.

I'm not entirely sure he's backpeddled. The story got around that he was going to throw the bracelet away if he won. The poker media went "OMG dramabomb, November 9 player will bin the bracelet if he wins" and reported it.

Then they actually asked him why, his response to which was in the video posted earlier - that in his view Harrah's hadn't treated all players equally during this year's Main Event with respect to the Day 1D lockout and various other issues.

If that's been his motivation all along (and the mention of any media rights dispute between Card Player and Harrahs was just speculation) then... no, he really hasn't done any backpeddling.

And FWIW, while we can argue about whether or not it's morbidly disrespectful and disastrous to the game of poker as a whole for him to claim that he'll toss the bracelet if he wins, surely we can all agree that a level playing field in tournaments is Good For Poker(TM).

Plus giving the bracelet to Colbert if he wins would be hilarious.

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he wins he should donate the money to charity. Forget drawing the line with the bracet. Money's what talks.

lukeopp

lukeopp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The most coveted prize in poker and you would toss it "if" you win. Nice. Throw a tantrum! That'll get there attention. Be smart, there are a lot of other ways to make a point.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
And FWIW, while we can argue about whether or not it's morbidly disrespectful and disastrous to the game of poker as a whole for him to claim that he'll toss the bracelet if he wins, surely we can all agree that a level playing field in tournaments is Good For Poker(TM).

I love the way you put it.
I couldn't have stated it anywhere near as you did.

A Level playing field is very important to tournaments but like with many sports often is not the case. Decisions in Business, Sports or for that fact most day to day activities are prejudice by so many factors.

We should always strive for perfection and understand the human factor involved.

We agree to disagree on our individual perception of what was said and the publicity stunt that was attempted by such a player.
Nothing wrong with that.

Nice job representing your thoughts and point of view.

May the river be not so kind to your opponents and wash good fortune your way.

Last edited:
Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You KNOW he's not counting on winning,
and if he does win, he can always "change his mind".
The biggest insult however, would be to win that final hand,
and then silently walk out of the place.
And NEVER talk about it. To anyone. Ever.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people have some very wrong ideas here.

All forms of media (written and otherwise) are allowed access to cover the WSOP. Harrah's aren't stupid.

I'm pretty sure there are only two things that are exclusive - the video broadcasting rights for each event and the blogging coverage provided for the WSOP website. They both need to be exclusive, for obvious reasons.

Other than that though, media outlets are free* to come along, write about the WSOP, take photos of the WSOP, interview players, interview the organisers, live blog hands, film Phil Hellmuth's entrance and bracelet ceremonies and whatever the hell else takes their fancy. The only things they can't do are update the official WSOP website or provide television coverage.

As for the sponsors being "nice" to Card Player... first of all, who are we talking about. Jack Link's beef jerky? Pretty sure it's no big loss to Card Player. None of the major poker sites sponsor the WSOP. Harrah's itself and its advertising for the WSOP may be an issue, but they're covered under my second point.

Which is this: we're talking about business here and in business, the numbers rule. Card Player is either an attractive advertising vehicle based on its circulation figures and asking price for ads, or it's not. Very few companies would let something as stupid as "oh but that magazine's editor dissed the WSOP a little bit" be the major deciding factor in a business decision like that.

Same goes for their regaining the rights to provide the WSOP website live blogging in the future. The relationship will be soured a little, but at the end of the day if Card Player demonstrate that they're able to provide better service than PokerNews for a better price... well, like I said at the start, Harrah's aren't stupid.

There'll certainly be personal repercusssions from this for Shulman for a long time to come (especially if he actually wins and makes good on his promise). Especially since the major reason his magazine lost the blogging rights is because by all accounts they were crap at it.

But for his magazine, I think the repercussions will amount to little if anything. He gets a short term bump in reader interest and long term, business is business.

The above stands even if what he's actually butthurt about is the way Harrah's treat the players at the WSOP, BTW.

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspect it's the Day 1D lockout and the alleged preferential treatment of guys like Patrik Antonius or Sully Erna that he's talking about... not much you can do there though. Jeffrey Pollack maintains to the best of his knowledge that nobody got that treatment and even if it did happen, Shulman is a big boy and can surely see why something like that would happen. Plus Harrah's is already promising to fix the whole issue for next year.

/long post :p

* there may be some specific exemptions or restrictions. But we're speaking generally here.

Very well put. I was one of the masses who misunderstood (as you suspected). This actually changes my mind. I no longer think Shulman has a good point that was poorly displayed; I now think he's just a kid having a tantrum because he didn't get his way. It was different when I thought he was fighting for all forms of written media.

Nice post. Fwiw: I agree with what you've posted and think you've made several nice points.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
>>>

#2 would be a classy move.

No, players shut out of the main event didn't show up on time. They should've registered or came earlier.

I do like auctioning it off for charity though.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also fwiw:
- I think all agree on the level playing field.
- I too believe auctioning the bracelet off to charity is the right move
- Just watched the video and do believe he is backpeddling. His original reasons for throwing away the bracelet had to do with his exclusive media coverage rights, now he's trying to flip into something else all can agree with after all the bad press.
- If he were to throw the bracelet away (just even saying it) is very disrespectful. Other pros may not wear theirs, maybe they are in a nice display case or something, but they sure as heck didn't throw them in the trash.
-I would think it funny as hell if there really were people in the audience holding onto trash cans! LMAO!

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What a disrespectful SOB IMO, he should be kicked out of the wsop, never be let back in.
He should give all of the money to charity.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff doesn't have to worry, he isn't going to win the bracelet anyways.

Goooooooo Phil !!!!!!!!!!

WSOP