Jeff Shulman to throw WSOP Bracelet in Garbage if he Wins!!!

tpb221

tpb221

Chasing Gutshots
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lol at him only being 34

he kinda does have a point tho

He certainly has a point, it's total bs to give exclusive rights instead of allowing access to all reputable media. .

What's his point? Card Player could have offered a better deal for coverage and didn't. That's his problem. He's acting like a brat. If he didn't like how the wsop was run -Why did he enter? Would he still do the same thing if he had gotten the exclusive rights?

What do you mean it's BS to give exclusive rights? Name a major event that has not SOLD there exclusive rights? Super Bowl-sold, World Cup-sold, MLB World Series-sold. In the short run he will sell more mags, in the long run this will back fire on him. You think Harriahs is going to be nice to Card Player. Do you think the other sponsers are going to be nice to Card Player when he rips on something they have invested alot of money in?

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dude jeff shulman is a straight G, stop hatin'

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What's his point? Card Player could have offered a better deal for coverage and didn't. That's his problem. He's acting like a brat. If he didn't like how the WSOP was run -Why did he enter? Would he still do the same thing if he had gotten the exclusive rights?

What do you mean it's BS to give exclusive rights? Name a major event that has not SOLD there exclusive rights? Super Bowl-sold, World Cup-sold, MLB World Series-sold. In the short run he will sell more mags, in the long run this will back fire on him. You think Harriahs is going to be nice to Card Player. Do you think the other sponsers are going to be nice to Card Player when he rips on something they have invested alot of money in?

/QFT

R

RAMARAIDER

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The Shulmans are rich spoiled wannabe elitist facists who want to monopolize their medium at the expense of poker. I've seen many tv interviews with them, and it makes me want to fly out there to kick the crap out of them next series. Nick is using the ME to increse his azzhole size status. His father is still top hole!

ludo90

ludo90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Schulman can say a million things hes gonna do "if" he win.. HE WONT IVEY IS IN IT! No question ivey is the best poker player alive or am i wrong?

Also if ivey win he will get like over 100 million$ from Side bets also pretty sick, i bet all who has made this bet whit him are cheering for mr shulman and the rest.

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nick is using the ME to increse his azzhole size status. His father is still top hole!

Nick Schulman is not related to Barry and Jeff Shulman. And it's Jeff in the final.

T

thejuanupsman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to show a total lack of class. I'd boycott his magazine but I never read it to begin with. He's now ensured I never will.

keaton

keaton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff Shulman’s alternative bracelet ideas:

1. Auction off the bracelet and give the money to charity

2. Hold a tournament for all players shut out of the main event and award the winner the bracelet

3. Give the bracelet away in a tournament (SpadeClub)

4. Give the bracelet to Stephen Colbert

He is also taking suggestions for the bracelet.

coltsfan4eva

coltsfan4eva

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess if he wants to throw his bracelet away to prove his point, than he has the right to do that. As many people have stated, i bet he doesn't throw the money away! In today's game, a lot of the new players don't put so much stock into the bracelet. It was much more treasured in previous decades than it is in today's game, and that is truly sad. I think the bracelet is a coveted trophy that should be treated with the utmost respect! But if Jeff feels that is what he has to do to prove his point, stick to his morals, and sleep better at night, than so be it!

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

2. Hold a tournament for all players shut out of the main event and award the winner the bracelet

omgomg, pls give it to Colbert

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

I suggest donating it to CardsChat and we have a freeroll tournament for the bracelet :D

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's his point? Card Player could have offered a better deal for coverage and didn't. That's his problem. He's acting like a brat. If he didn't like how the WSOP was run -Why did he enter? Would he still do the same thing if he had gotten the exclusive rights?

I am very much aware of exclusive TV rights, but aren't all forms of written media allowed to interview at these big events? It's one things to keep video coverage exclusive for simplicity, organization, etc; but another for the newspapers and magazines. I don't know, someone can inform me if there are exclusive rights to only 1 magazine or just 1 newspaper for the superbowl and other major sporting events.

No I don't think other sponsors are going to be nice to Card Player - did you not read through my enitre post or are you just picking out the first line to tear it apart? I think Shulman is being a selfish douche about the way he is going about this whole thing. If you don't agree, fine, great, but don't turn my first line into representing my entire post.

My personal belief is that all reputable forms of the written media should be allowed in and if players/staff want to give an interview then it is their choice. I believe that those in charge of the ME should do what is in the best interest of the game and of its players - as should Schulman. I agree with you asking if he would react the same way if he had gotten exclusive rights, it's a great question. The way he is coming off sounds like he wouldn't be: as I said originally, I think he's acting like a small child having a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way. I think the way Schulman is going about this he is hurting the game and its players.

keaton

keaton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Poker Tube Jeff Shulman gives an interview about his dislike for Harrah's, and the way it manages the WSOP. He says Harrah's give certain celebrities and poker pros special treatment.

Also, he thinks the WSOP should be open to all media(not just . pokernews).Yet, they have exclusive rights to the WPT Tour.

However, their coverage of the Bellogio Cup this week was horrable.
They only updated when someone busted. No coverage of big hands.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am very much aware of exclusive TV rights, but aren't all forms of written media allowed to interview at these big events? It's one things to keep video coverage exclusive for simplicity, organization, etc; but another for the newspapers and magazines. I don't know, someone can inform me if there are exclusive rights to only 1 magazine or just 1 newspaper for the superbowl and other major sporting events.

No I don't think other sponsors are going to be nice to Card Player - did you not read through my enitre post or are you just picking out the first line to tear it apart? I think Shulman is being a selfish douche about the way he is going about this whole thing. If you don't agree, fine, great, but don't turn my first line into representing my entire post.

My personal belief is that all reputable forms of the written media should be allowed in and if players/staff want to give an interview then it is their choice. I believe that those in charge of the ME should do what is in the best interest of the game and of its players - as should Schulman. I agree with you asking if he would react the same way if he had gotten exclusive rights, it's a great question. The way he is coming off sounds like he wouldn't be: as I said originally, I think he's acting like a small child having a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way. I think the way Schulman is going about this he is hurting the game and its players.

I think people have some very wrong ideas here.

All forms of media (written and otherwise) are allowed access to cover the WSOP. Harrah's aren't stupid.

I'm pretty sure there are only two things that are exclusive - the video broadcasting rights for each event and the blogging coverage provided for the WSOP website. They both need to be exclusive, for obvious reasons.

Other than that though, media outlets are free* to come along, write about the WSOP, take photos of the WSOP, interview players, interview the organisers, live blog hands, film Phil Hellmuth's entrance and bracelet ceremonies and whatever the hell else takes their fancy. The only things they can't do are update the official WSOP website or provide television coverage.

As for the sponsors being "nice" to Card Player... first of all, who are we talking about. Jack Link's beef jerky? Pretty sure it's no big loss to Card Player. None of the major poker sites sponsor the WSOP. Harrah's itself and its advertising for the WSOP may be an issue, but they're covered under my second point.

Which is this: we're talking about business here and in business, the numbers rule. Card Player is either an attractive advertising vehicle based on its circulation figures and asking price for ads, or it's not. Very few companies would let something as stupid as "oh but that magazine's editor dissed the WSOP a little bit" be the major deciding factor in a business decision like that.

Same goes for their regaining the rights to provide the WSOP website live blogging in the future. The relationship will be soured a little, but at the end of the day if Card Player demonstrate that they're able to provide better service than PokerNews for a better price... well, like I said at the start, Harrah's aren't stupid.

There'll certainly be personal repercusssions from this for Shulman for a long time to come (especially if he actually wins and makes good on his promise). Especially since the major reason his magazine lost the blogging rights is because by all accounts they were crap at it.

But for his magazine, I think the repercussions will amount to little if anything. He gets a short term bump in reader interest and long term, business is business.

The above stands even if what he's actually butthurt about is the way Harrah's treat the players at the WSOP, BTW.

Reading between the lines, I strongly suspect it's the Day 1D lockout and the alleged preferential treatment of guys like Patrik Antonius or Sully Erna that he's talking about... not much you can do there though. Jeffrey Pollack maintains to the best of his knowledge that nobody got that treatment and even if it did happen, Shulman is a big boy and can surely see why something like that would happen. Plus Harrah's is already promising to fix the whole issue for next year.

/long post :p

* there may be some specific exemptions or restrictions. But we're speaking generally here.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I think the non-exclusive media could only blog/post web updates on WSOP Events once per hour

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does he even play every year? Whats the point?

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why does he even play every year? Whats the point?

I was thinking the same thing after watching the video. He said something to the effect that he was just expecting to bust out so he could go home to Seattle with his wife and kids. Well if you really feel that way, don't play and go home.

U

UrHandCanBiteMe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm i wonder where is garbage truck dumps :)

ill have to give that a check up

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here he sets the record straight

OK, so a big part of it really is the Day 1D stuff. It's interesting because in all the interviews with Jeffrey Pollack (WSOP commissioner) that I've seen he's denied any special treatment or post-lockout registrations, suggesting guys like Patrik Antonius and Sully Erna were pre-registered and just turned up late to play or something.

Either way though, Pollack has said that it's something they're already working on fixing so it won't be an issue next year.

FWIW I tend to agree with Shulman on some of the other level playing field stuff. Phil Hellmuth getting his "You're an idiot" rant penalty reversed last year is a perfect example.

But you can definitely see how he got the name Happy, huh :p

ythelongface

ythelongface

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont know that i disagree with shulman really, but by putting it out there in the media, it seems more like he just wants attention and face time than anything else. also, as far as him saying he will throw the braclet away, its one thing to say it, but quite another to do it.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's disrespectful and in No way promotes the Game.
Exactly the opposite it shows disrespect and hinders the progress and reputation of Poker.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's disrespectful and in No way promotes the Game.
Exactly the opposite it shows disrespect and hinders the progress and reputation of Poker.

Erm... what is? The thing about throwing the bracelet away, or the thing about how he wants there to be a level playing field?

As to how it'll "hinder" the progress and reputation of poker, he's made it clear he wants to spend the next four months avoiding the hell out of the media (aside from his own magazine, I assume) so I really don't see how anyone other than US poker nerds are going to find out about it - there's pretty much zero chance ESPN will include any of this stuff in their broadcast.

WSOP