Jeff Shulman to throw WSOP Bracelet in Garbage if he Wins!!!

Baby Jesus

Baby Jesus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't see why He would even play in the main event or any other wsop event if he fells that way why doesn't he go about his way or have some respect for the game and the people that play it.This can't be good for his mag.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't see why He would even play in the main event or any other WSOP event if he fells that way why doesn't he go about his way or have some respect for the game and the people that play it.This can't be good for his mag.

Erm... again. What are we talking about here - throwing the bracelet away if he wins, or the level playing field stuff?

If it's the bracelet we're talking about then KC has the most obvious and completely correct answer two posts up - millions of dollars in prize money. Plus, as I discussed a page ago, a controversy like this is far from a bad thing for his magazine. People will still read it, new people might start reading it and advertising is unlikely to suffer. I've worked in publishing for a number of years, trust me.

If we're talking about the level playing field stuff... obviously the Day 1D issues didn't come up until after he'd entered the final event of the series. You could say that he was doing this because he has respect for the game and he wants there to be a level playing field.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Throwing the Bracelet Away.

If that isn't disrespectful then what is.
If he doesn't like or respect the game at this level then he should not enter.
Nothing wrong with not entering something you don't agree with.
And if he is going to whine like a baby that the playing field is not even then wake up, nothing in life is even and be glad that he is where he is and not in a country that choice is not an option.
Bias is in every game and is not a major deciding factor and is minor at best.
Get use to it like he hasn't experienced that before.
whaaaaa whaaaaaa lets make an issue of it.

I agree no one will here much from him after this.
But lets look at it in a different light.

Lets say K. Bryant in the NBA Finals and he says:
I would throw the trophy in the trash if we win.
Would that be disrespectful.
Grossly disgustingly wrong.
Reason to question why this player plays.
Or why he is allowed to play.
I think disrespect is disrespect.

Just my thoughts
and others may think completely different and I respect that.....

Either way

If it's not good for poker then I think the players should rethink why they play the game.

Just my thoughts ......

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think just like Kobe Bryant, Shulman is in this for the money and when you've got millions of dollars, who needs to care about respect?

Something else to think about though: Phil Hellmuth has stated several times that he's given away ten of the eleven bracelets he's won. Is that disrespectful?

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think just like Kobe Bryant, Shulman is in this for the money and when you've got millions of dollars, who needs to care about respect?

Something else to think about though: Phil Hellmuth has stated several times that he's given away ten of the eleven bracelets he's won. Is that disrespectful?

He's given them to family members for non-malicious reasons. Way different situation imo

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted my thoughts on this but I believe it's very disrespectful. He just seems like a hack who doesn't truly stand for what he believes in. If he did, he wouldn't have played in the WSOP at all. I'd rather Moon take it down than this guy.

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an unbelievable bit of marketing genious. look at it from this point of view he has drawn a load of publicity to himself. granted it is bad publicity but its publicity none the less. he's also had the effect that thousands of people like us are talking about it as well.

by coming out with that statement he has done cardplayer nothing but good. sales will skyrocket through people being intrigued as to who this guy is and what he's about. Also before this i'd never really heard of card player. however i most definately have now.

Watch this space he'll be giving PR conferences in no time.;)

He wont throw that brcelet away not a cat in hells chance. Everyone is reading far to deep into this.
Remember controversy Sells.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it'd be awesome if he threw the bracelet in the trash and then took out his thing and started peeing all over the table

wildjax

wildjax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it'd be awesome if he threw the bracelet in the trash and then took out his thing and started peeing all over the table

And on that note, I'll have another beer....lmao.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definately very disrespectful.
that bracelet means a lot to the winners. and everyone that has won one is very proud of it.
shame on him - shame shame.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Didn't Scotty Nguyen do that last year? :D

smd173

smd173

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
by coming out with that statement he has done cardplayer nothing but good. sales will skyrocket through people being intrigued as to who this guy is and what he's about. Also before this i'd never really heard of card player. however i most definately have now.

It's had the opposite effect on me. I knew about CardPlayer before hand and I haven't visited their site once since he made his statement on there the day after the ME finished. And I doubt I'll be going back. And I used to check the site a few times per week.

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah it will have that effect on some people but there will be plenty of people who will now have heard of CardPlayer but they wont be sure where they heard it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He's given them to family members for non-malicious reasons. Way different situation imo

I'm pretty sure I haven't posted my thoughts on this but I believe it's very disrespectful. He just seems like a hack who doesn't truly stand for what he believes in. If he did, he wouldn't have played in the WSOP at all. I'd rather Moon take it down than this guy.

Absolutely true, Hellmuth gave his away for non-malicous reasons. In fact, he gave them away for what are probably pretty good reasons. But at the end of the day, those bracelets are still gathering dust on the matlepiece or in a drawer of a person who's probably never even played in the WSOP.

Another thing to think about too: if bracelets are this important and command this much respect, how come you hardly ever see pros wearing the ones they've won? How often do you see Phil Ivey at a table wearing one of his?

The answer is rarely if ever. Why is that?

As for why Shulman even played in the Main Event if he feels this way, it's the same two things that come up. One, there's the millions of dollars in prize money. There just isn't another tournament with a prize pool like this one. And two, if you follow the rest of the thread the majority of his complaints stem from after the Main Event started (like the handling of the Day 1D lockout) - the Harrah's media rights / bracelet thing seems to have been a bit of a beat up.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well just let me know what can ur gonna throw it in cause ill take it off ur hands...believe that...plus he only said that cause we all know hes not gonna win

isaac

isaac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff Shulman’s alternative bracelet ideas:

1. Auction off the bracelet and give the money to charity

2. Hold a tournament for all players shut out of the main event and award the winner the bracelet

3. Give the bracelet away in a tournament (SpadeClub)

4. Give the bracelet to Stephen Colbert

He is also taking suggestions for the bracelet.

these are all great ideas! personally i think it would be amazing if he gave it to stephen, or auctioned it off to charity, as these would be the honourable things to do. If he throws it out there may be a major controversy in the poker world:) :)

S

spadedchef

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well i would like to just be there if where to win it with a wastebasket and run up and say well heres the trash can toss it on in here

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i would like to just be there if where to win it with a wastebasket and run up and say well heres the trash can toss it on in here

LOL ....................that's funny, I can picture it now. Shulman makes it to heads up against Ivey or whoever and spadedchef positions himself strategically in the bleachers so that he is in Shulmans line of sight at all times. Every time Shulman looks in his direction spadedchef is sitting there hugging a wastebasket in one hand and pointing the index finger of his other hand downwards into the basket. All the while knowingly slowly nodding in a "yes" motion. LOL

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's already let it be known that he is not the sole winner. According to him, there are several folks with "pieces" of hm. He will probably only see about 50% of the winnings.

I can already see the cheering section at the FT. There's going to be a ton of wastebaskets out in the audience!

SoCalJD

SoCalJD

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jeff Shulman’s alternative bracelet ideas:

1. Auction off the bracelet and give the money to charity

2. Hold a tournament for all players shut out of the main event and award the winner the bracelet

3. Give the bracelet away in a tournament (SpadeClub)

4. Give the bracelet to Stephen Colbert

He is also taking suggestions for the bracelet.
>>>

#2 would be a classy move.

G

GrayVA

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is a good publicity stunt for his magazine, but makes him look like a chump. If you hate them, dont play in their tourneys!!! Who cares if he never plays poker again? good for him

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is a good publicity stunt for his magazine, but makes him look like a chump. If you hate them, dont play in their tourneys!!! Who cares if he never plays poker again? good for him
well he's a pro, so obv he's playing for the money, which can be understood

A

AceofDiamonds

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's disrespectful for him to say that he would throw it in the trash. Maybe if he did win he could auction it for charity or something

WSOP