I'm going to try and build a bankroll from freerolls.

Insanity

Insanity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think everyone has said this at least once or thought it. I thought it. I have never deposited but I am no were near 20,000 and I now know that unless by some freak of luck i never will be on Full Tilt. Good Luck to you!

coyboy33

coyboy33

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
See, How to Build aBankRoll at PitBull Poker

I made this thread because I my goal is to get a bankroll of $20,000 starting from $0 and not depositing at any poker rooms. The poker room that I am going to try and build my bankroll from is full tilt poker. I will update this thread very often with my daily progress.
A great site to start form scratch,,then move your winnings to FullTilt....coyboy33.....

D

dillingerdis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck, hope it works out for you!

Behrens900

Behrens900

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
completely possible so good luck with this
once you get to $200 it will be just as if you deposited
the most difficult part will be not getting bored with micro limits
what's happened to me a few times is I take $2 to $100 and then I find myself playing 0.50 / $1 NL and that's usually the end

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: I wish all of you the best in building a bankroll from nothing!

A few suggestions that may be different than others have said.

I would NOT focus on 1 site,give yourself as many opportunitys for success as possible.If FT for example doesn't have a freeroll now but Bodog does then jump in there at Bodog.The more chances you have the better in the long run!

If you happen to win some money,I would add 1$ tourneys to your arsenal of tourneys that you play.So what if you lose the few bucks,What you are trying to accomplish is to hit a good one to allow growth in your bankroll.
If you go Broke losing $3 you won so be it!Don't play scared.

I will give you an example,I signed up at Carbon poker through CC and got 2nd in a freeroll for $25,I then played an $11 buy in (CC money added) and won that making my roll around $135.My bankroll from all accounts allows me to make this jump and still be good bankroll management.The lesson I am trying to give is tourney poker can pay off handsomely.But you have to be willing to risk some of your freeroll winnings!

Once you get to $75-$150,I would add $2-$3 buy ins and around $250 I add $5 buy ins.

Do not get frustrated with lack of bankroll growth in the beginning.The experiance you get is going to be needed as you grow as a poker player.
Hang in there,when you do win your account can jump quickly.

I have a few other Ideas I will post later,this is getting pretty long for me.

Snow :cool:

Thanx for the wise words snowmobile. Its posts like yours that get my mind activated. Yeah, Im playing buy-ins that I feel suit my bankroll at the moment but am so excited cos I have found a $3 buy in on tilt that I am itching to play. Its also a 90 person sit and go with double stack - pays 9 places but the exciting part is that it is a knockout so you get .25c for every person you knock out!!!

So I am now at $95 dollars after 5 weeks but the minute I get to that $150 mark, I'm hitting that $3 sit n go.

It would be great if you could continue with your advice at some stage cos every bit of input will help those of us that are working on this.

Thanx again

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanx for the wise words snowmobile. Its posts like yours that get my mind activated. Yeah, Im playing buy-ins that I feel suit my bankroll at the moment but am so excited cos I have found a $3 buy in on tilt that I am itching to play. Its also a 90 person sit and go with double stack - pays 9 places but the exciting part is that it is a knockout so you get .25c for every person you knock out!!!

So I am now at $95 dollars after 5 weeks but the minute I get to that $150 mark, I'm hitting that $3 sit n go.

It would be great if you could continue with your advice at some stage cos every bit of input will help those of us that are working on this.

Thanx again

It sounds like you are on the right track,keep up the good play!

When you make it to your $3 tourney,PM me and I will play it with you.

Best of Luck!

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck on your chase from 0 to $20k. It can be done. Full Tilt has freerolls every couple of hours and don't forget to play the United States Freeroll too.

S

Syfted

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good bankroll management is so key, please don't take shots, please... play the CC freerolls if you can, I haven't played any since the club thing came about, but I'm sure their quality has only improved. The EV of those freerolls is going to be waywayway higher than any of the open public freerolls on sites like Full Tilt or bodog.

Doyle's Room once had these little freerolls that were wicked easy to cash a few or cents on, and they had $0.10 SNGs you could play. I was multitabling them for microscopic amounts of money (which was fun), but then they moved to Cake. Sucks for me I guess.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good bankroll management is so key, please don't take shots, please... play the CC freerolls if you can, I haven't played any since the club thing came about, but I'm sure their quality has only improved. The EV of those freerolls is going to be waywayway higher than any of the open public freerolls on sites like Full Tilt or Bodog.

Doyle's Room once had these little freerolls that were wicked easy to cash a few or cents on, and they had $0.10 SNGs you could play. I was multitabling them for microscopic amounts of money (which was fun), but then they moved to Cake. Sucks for me I guess.

This is great advice if you don't care to win big or improve your game!

If on the other hand you do want bigger wins and to build a nice big bankroll you need to "take shots" at your appropriate bankroll management level!

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like you are on the right track,keep up the good play!

When you make it to your $3 tourney,PM me and I will play it with you.

Best of Luck!

:beer: oh wow, thats so cool - thanx :)

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been at it for 4 months, and have built my bankroll to about $80. I no longer play freerolls, except the CC freerolls and some from other discussion sites. I think that freerolls against bad players do create bad habits. I was able to resist it for a while, but now I am concentrating on playing disciplined, and freerolls really require a different strategy.

There are some other threads on this site that discuss the Chip-up Early strategy, and I think thats the best way to get an initial bankroll to stake you to the microstakes ring-games and tourneys.

There are too many freerolls on too many different sites to limit yourself to one site. I think PStars is the best place to get started, because once you win a few bucks, they have 10 cent 360 player tourneys running non-stop. But, if you cash in a CC tourney, Bodog and UBet have some soft microstakes ring games, and FTilt has the double points happy hours to get into free tourneys with $500 in prizes for 200 points. Just playing tight and just happy hours at Omaha Hi-Lo, I break even and earn about 100 points a week. Hi-Lo gives more points because the point formula is based on the rake, and Hi-Lo gets bigger pots because of the split.

But bankroll management is the key. After spending alot of hours building a small bankroll, you don't want to lose it in one night. That's gambling, not poker. I play a small stack strategy. If I lose my nightly stake, I'm done. If I triple my stack, I cash in and go to another table with my original stack size.

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been at it for 4 months, and have built my bankroll to about $80. I no longer play freerolls, except the CC freerolls and some from other discussion sites. I think that freerolls against bad players do create bad habits. I was able to resist it for a while, but now I am concentrating on playing disciplined, and freerolls really require a different strategy.

There are some other threads on this site that discuss the Chip-up Early strategy, and I think thats the best way to get an initial bankroll to stake you to the microstakes ring-games and tourneys.

There are too many freerolls on too many different sites to limit yourself to one site. I think PStars is the best place to get started, because once you win a few bucks, they have 10 cent 360 player tourneys running non-stop. But, if you cash in a CC tourney, Bodog and UBet have some soft microstakes ring games, and FTilt has the double points happy hours to get into free tourneys with $500 in prizes for 200 points. Just playing tight and just happy hours at Omaha Hi-Lo, I break even and earn about 100 points a week. Hi-Lo gives more points because the point formula is based on the rake, and Hi-Lo gets bigger pots because of the split.

But bankroll management is the key. After spending alot of hours building a small bankroll, you don't want to lose it in one night. That's gambling, not poker. I play a small stack strategy. If I lose my nightly stake, I'm done. If I triple my stack, I cash in and go to another table with my original stack size.

GD as I said, IMO concentrating at 1 site works for me, but then again I am not a full bag of shopping :) I tried a few different sites and just felt myself too ovewhelmed, so when i say sticking to one site, what I should have said is favor 1 site. What I mean is that if there is a freeroll on 2 sites at the same time, then I go for the one where my br is the strongest.

You are very correct in there being too many sites to limit your freeroll playing and I do have money at a few different sites but if there is a tourney at FT then thats where I do it!

I have a few bucks at UB but am waiting to build that a bit more before I try any of the tricks I pull at FT.

I totally agree with what you say on bankroll management being the key, you are so right, if it wasnt for that I woulda been gone a long time ago.

Please keep pposting on your progress and any tips for us as I always find your posts informative and especially insightful.

U

UFCcantstopme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL

I have not deposited in a while now, i just stick to play freerolls. My largest br without depositing was over 300$ at pokerstars. I find the best freerolls are the private ones. GOOD LUCK to accomplishing your goal ;)

cardplayer52

cardplayer52

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm doing something like this too. but challenge you to donate atleast some % of it to a charity of your choice. what i'm doing is trying to go from $0 to $5,200(52% of ferguson's challenge) if i get there i'm going to donate 52% of it($2,704) to the save the children foundation. i'm up to $33.53 so far and with all the knowledge i'm getting about 2nl and the other micro limits i feel it can be done. good luck hope you make it.

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm doing something like this too. but challenge you to donate atleast some % of it to a charity of your choice. what i'm doing is trying to go from $0 to $5,200(52% of ferguson's challenge) if i get there i'm going to donate 52% of it($2,704) to the save the children foundation. i'm up to $33.53 so far and with all the knowledge i'm getting about 2nl and the other micro limits i feel it can be done. good luck hope you make it.

Wow, cardplayer that is amazing. Seems we have got to a point where honesty is required considering you have revealed this. Now I know that this is not what this post is about but Im gonna tell you anyway.

I gave up the corporate world a few years ago and decided to dedicate the rest of my life to "paying it forward". I took a step in faith and decided to just do what made me "myself" and what made me happy is to make sure that the children of our country were at least fed and had someone to talk to.

I have established a non profit organisation called "Phumlani Projects", well busy establishing it and getting all the red tape done, what a huge mission - you would think that with all these unsupervised and unwanted kids out there that the government would try to speed things up a bit - no ways:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/community-hangout-4/phumlani-projects-151275/#post1177580

i just posted this link so you could read a bit of the history behind my mission. I am so determined and hope that I can achieve what I have set out to do. I have been on a few courses and have excelled at kids EQ etc and hope that as someone who has never been a mother before, but has experienced loss, that I can assist some of these kids to become normal functioning human beings.

I will continue this in the thread above cos I dont think it belongs here, but I am so glad for what you are doing and hope that there are other players out there who do the same.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wish you all the luck you need. Can be done, if you can get past the boredom of the small limits. Took me a good 2 months to get it up over $50.00 and then easier with the higher value tournments.

Play tight and play smart.

M

marlinzNZ

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
try to win a few $ on free rolls , then play the micro tables , 10 cent 5 cent blinds on full tilt , that's what i am doing , its going okay so far , patience is the key :)

C

CardConnoisseur

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a long way to go as long as your have pacience and persistence. and money management is very important.these instance of losing whole money in one hour or one night is lacking money management.i am still on that way of building bankroll from low.i hope may be five yeare or more.

I would not wish falling into tilt on my worst enemy... unless he was sitting opposite me on the table.

Chronical23

Chronical23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yupp i'm in the same boat as you buddy. And not only freerolls but i'm practicing with play chips at full tilt. Practicing building a bankroll from scratch and keeping disciplined not buying in to ring games for over 5% of my bankroll and such. Oh and my goal is to make over 500,000 chips so that I can enter the 40 dollar freeroll.

B

BobTheBiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yupp i'm in the same boat as you buddy. And not only freerolls but i'm practicing with play chips at full tilt. Practicing building a bankroll from scratch and keeping disciplined not buying in to ring games for over 5% of my bankroll and such. Oh and my goal is to make over 500,000 chips so that I can enter the 40 dollar freeroll.

tell me more about the 500,000 chip, $40 freeroll thing. i am not familiar with this.

Wow, there really are a lot of players attempting the same thing. So what is the latest on your progress, unchosen?

U

unchosen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After playing a couple freerolls I now have a bankroll of $1.10. I am going to be playing a lot of poker during the week and hopefully I can continue to build my bankroll.

Chronical23

Chronical23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tell me more about the 500,000 chip, $40 freeroll thing. i am not familiar with this.

Wow, there really are a lot of players attempting the same thing. So what is the latest on your progress, unchosen?

What i'm talking about is on Full Tilt. There is a tournament every day at 20:40 server time under play money for a buy in of 500,000 play chips. It is a freeroll with a prize pool of $40 paying out the top 18 players. Generally less than 100 people enter it so it is farily easy to make the money :) Hope that helps!

B

BobTheBiller

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What i'm talking about is on Full Tilt. There is a tournament every day at 20:40 server time under play money for a buy in of 500,000 play chips. It is a freeroll with a prize pool of $40 paying out the top 18 players. Generally less than 100 people enter it so it is farily easy to make the money :) Hope that helps!

Thanks buddy, I was completely unaware that it existed and I think that is pretty cool. 500,000 chips is a lot, so you obviously have to work at it. I might consider trying that and perhaps see you in one soon. Thanks again.:)

hayes5150

hayes5150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck to you my only advice is to stay away from the low limit cash games everyone will play there hands I think AA gets cracked 90% of the time from some donkey play 2 7 off....its awful! Stick with the sngs and be patient!

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management Freeroll Passwords