How poker makes your brain work?

T

TorusPower

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I think poker is the art of folding in a timely manner)).

T

TorusPower

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
Poker, a card game that isn't as popular as it once was, has been proven to have significant benefits for your brain. The game requires skills such as high-level math, reading people and predicting their actions, and making decisions based on incomplete information.

Poker can help you learn to make decisions when you don't have all the information you need. This will also help you with math, especially probability and statistics. And it can help you read people by understanding their facial expressions and body language.

What happens to our brains when we play poker?
Write Proven, but don't say who has proven it...
please provide a source for such studies 😜

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Poker, a card game that is not as popular as it once was, has been proven to have some serious benefits for your brain. The game requires skills like high-level math, reading people and predicting their actions, and making decisions based on incomplete information.

Poker can help you learn how to make decisions when you don't have all the information. It also helps you with math - especially probability and statistics. And it can help you read people by understanding their facial expressions and body language.

What happens to your brain while playing poker?
It explodes :unsure:

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a good exercise for the brain)

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I would say that poker in my brain is exquisite as long as things work out, because when things don't work out it's a headache.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
But I try to enjoy this wonderful game as much as possible

NDRWTRLGC

NDRWTRLGC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all neurons firing at max level. not to mention intuition in high gear

dead_in_sight

dead_in_sight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
FI
Chips
while playing poker and any other game you will get a lot of dopamine

jrportes21

jrportes21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
poker is a wonderful dance, similar to a tango, it is beautiful and attractive.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing poker, face-to-face online in clubs and leagues like the Supreme Union, is training the mind.

The practice offers a range of benefits to keep the mind active, one of the determining factors to reduce the impacts of brain aging.

Overall, the entire cognitive system is put into action, making poker much more than just a hobby.

Increase in IQ

One of the main benefits of practicing sport is the increase in IQ, that is, the ability to learn and perform cognitive functions.

The process of learning new techniques within poker is one of the pillars for those who want to specialize in this game.

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello Poker fans,

I have learned to be gentle with myself and understand that my mood changes and sometimes my brain is in the game and other times my instincts are in charge.

There are times I play a good game; wait for a good spot, the top hands for my range, calculate my odds and outs etcetera. Whether I go deep or not, I am usually pleased with myself. Sometimes my gut instincts or ego has the driver's seat and I will do things that I know are statistically wrong but feels right or I just do not feel like backing down.

Poker has taught me some humility and the importance of discipline in the scheme of things. The brain is definitely important in the game whether the id, ego or superego takes the wheel, it makes for an interesting game!

Power

Power

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Unfortunately, I don't listen to my brain all the time.

My brain studies hard at poker, then I get to a hand I'm playing and I get to a spot I know I'm in bad shape. My brain kicks in saying "we're beat... abort, muck that hand!!" My ego is like "no vill could be bluffing" Brain is like "it's in his/hers range, fold it now, he/she raised you on the river... it's never a bluff at these stakes FOLD!!!

Ego calls... we're BEAT... "I told ya so"

The rest is history.

The moral to this rant (which I whole heartedly apologise for) is... always listen to your gut instinct 🥴
funny you should say this just last night i had a hand i was holding QQ i open and get 1 caller and flop comes 89T he checks i check, turn 3 and put flush there, he bets 5K and has around 25K behind, i call, and 5 hits river, he tank jams all in, i'm like dammmmm did he hit the flush, or did he call with some funky cards like 7j or JQ or did he hit the flush, i still had my time bank so i'm sitting there going though the hands he could have! but his play just did not seem right, so i call and as i call i'm saying to myself if you have it mate GG lol as i can't find a fold in that spot with QQ well it turns out he was bluffing he only had A5

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the biggest benefit it has is making something out of very little or none information. It also requires split second decisions, so by playing it you are more likely to make right decisions in your real life thanks to poker.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How Poker makes my brain work?.. I can to say only an one: very intensively and tensely.., and constantly!..

Danaire72

Danaire72

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
The truth is something a bit indescribable, because when I play poker tournaments, my brain thinks and analyzes in a different way than any everyday situation, I try as much as possible to concentrate and analyze even the smallest move and of course I try not to let myself carry by the bad plays that can happen to me, the brain plays an important role when playing poker.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The brain is working hard. 2-3 times a month there is mental exhaustion

Stanley Aguiar

Stanley Aguiar

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It offers a range of benefits for keeping the mind active, one of the determining factors in reducing the impacts of brain aging. Overall, the entire cognitive system is put into action, making poker much more than just a hobby.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker helps not to think about everyday life and brings a lot of benefits to avoid depression, in addition to making our brain work in every way

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I really feel that it is a great ally for my brain, where I exercise more than ever concentration, intuition, the fact of having to discover lies or deception and the reading that I have to do of each movement and each player, it is great, it keeps me active and exercising the brain.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Poker, a card game that is not as popular as it once was, has been proven to have some serious benefits for your brain. The game requires skills like high-level math, reading people and predicting their actions, and making decisions based on incomplete information.

Poker can help you learn how to make decisions when you don't have all the information. It also helps you with math - especially probability and statistics. And it can help you read people by understanding their facial expressions and body language.

What happens to our brain while playing poker?
My mind won't stop working until after I die, yes poker makes my mind work more than usual, but I see that poker affects my heart and my senses more severely than it affects my brain

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game has an element of uncertainty, mathematics and strategy.
It's a good exercise for brain.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During poker session brain is working like other muscles in the gym

VGShaa

VGShaa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, poker is a mathematical and logical game, it trains my nervous system well and develops my intuition.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

What happens to our brain while playing poker?
I only play online, so the facial expressions or language of my opponents doesn't matter to me. As for math, I don't think a poker player needs math, as you wrote "high level". I did not study well at school and I always had problems with mathematics because I was lazy and did not want to study. But I'm generally pretty good at poker and my bankroll has been steadily growing for the past two years. I think that in poker, mathematics is not as important as logic. Elementary mathematical knowledge is quite enough.

T

TheDealer

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what I have noticed is that I concentrate on the information that is a lot in order to draw the right conclusions, I also have more patience to make the right decision