How much did you spend before you made profit?

Aleksandrson

Aleksandrson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, it depends of you mean the profit. There are many cases I know when many people have got 100 USD more by freerolls. I'm the man like there before had been talked. But I had maked a deposite later.

O

oiiigaaaaaaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my friend has over 30 on winnings online...i have only gotten to 1k 700 roughly with an investment of 200 more or less this year... hopefully the numbers get closer to my friend

LeanAndMean

LeanAndMean

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Profit? You think we all make profit? Well, maybe a little. i doubt I spent $200 before going up

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have spent nothing because my first deposit was 10$ and i played only freerolls and invitationals.
now, i play micro and small buy in tournaments with some ups and downs but my BR stands in green

deceptionist99

deceptionist99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I stumbled into poker at a Kmart store when I was 17. I seen this wsop 2007 edition play station 2 game and thought it looked cool. After playing this game for 6 months I started beating the computer ai players and thought I could do well live lol big wake up call. I lost fast playing in a cash game when I turned 21 using tournament tactics or so thought tactics in this cash game lol. I then joined poker stars, played play money reloaded 3 times they give you 1000 to start and on my third time turned my play BR into 17.5 million after watching training videos and finding my sweet spot,cash games instead of tournaments. I thought how hard could real money be then with my ego at sky high and new found knowledge I started playing micro stakes and found out just how much I really knew about this game, not enough!! I took time off to read every good poker book I could get my hands on and I have quite a library in my office room to this day, then I started playing on bodog now known as bovada where I still play today. After learning the poker math,some game theory,watching a lot of training videos learning to check ego at the door and not wearing it on your sleeve,time management,bankroll management, and studying my hand history over and over again after every other session I started winning. All this took me about 2 years of losses and hard work and I don't regret any of it. I treat this pure game as a business and part time job.

Bob23bk

Bob23bk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Money is weird because it doesn't have value until it's moved....the faster it's moved the more value it contains....It doesn't really matter what the very bottom line on your balance states but how fast that bottom line swings....really!

I've heard similar great wisdom from one of my favorite 'people' before

Boomhauer said:
Yeah, dang ol' money's like the wind, man, you only feel it when it's movin'.

I'm still in the red so I can't answer yet, but I'm working in the right direction ;)

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so wheres all the fish who keep the poker industry alive, not sure of true numbers but only a small percentage 5-10% may be less of people actually make money playing poker.

SO maybe all the ones who lose dont want to post here.

PS Im similar to most here started play money then freerolls then free $$$ for a hobby:)

No lie when I first started playing poker, I was down over $300. I was in complete degen mode. When I looked at my account balance, I said to myself "What the **** am I doing?"

No joke from that point forward, I felt like a light bulb went off in my head and I gained that $300 dollars back. So now I'm basically break even right now, but I have only been playing for less than a year.

I also had blew a lot of money on those addon tournaments in the past. I played way too loose and kept paying for the addons and then I would buy more addons during the break.

It felt good though slowly grinding back to recover the 300 I lost. Any profit is just gravy now.

You guys can check my sharkscope (Sil3ntness - Merge) to see my $300 degen plummet. It was from MTTs and etc. I grinded it all back slowly playing 4 NL & 10 NL cash games. Sharkscope still says -$300, but it's inaccurate for me because I haven't played any MTTs in months. So my cash profits aren't being shown.

Last edited:
Y

yakmasterSH

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I made one $25 deposit and turned it into several thousand.

F

Fussy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the overall I am down like 80k in the 4 years I been playing

M

MaxDamage

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost about 10k dollars before making a profit. Mainly because i was playing below my skill level or playing cash games. It took me years to find out that i was best at tournaments between 50 and 300 dollars and had to stay away from the cash tables. I also learned not to tilt anymore and now im slowly gaining the money back i've lost.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I had $50 in my account a week ago and now sitting at $450 (pokerstars account), and a chromestar ranking , almost at silverstar. I've fixed so many leaks in my game this week and played some omaha as well, loving it! Thanks for the replies guys, so interesting to see where everyones coming from!

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never deposited, just played a bunch of freerolls and worked on my game everyday. Slowly started building up my BR, I busted 1 or 2 $20 br's when I first started playing but it was all free money so I couldnt complain!

I ended up winning a FR for $30, then a few monthes later I ended up winning almost 2k in a mtt and Ive been cashing out and playing micro/mid stakes as a winning player ever since!

I think Fr's are the best way to start playing poker because you risk nothing and you need experience to learn this game and it will cost you a lot of money if you have to learn it!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never play with their own money and I will not. A couple of years played pokerstrars. I earned $ 45 for the first half of the year for the freeroll. I learned to play a little bit and went to the table with $ 0.05 - $ 0.10 .Not many lost and I did not like. Tried Sit & Go. The game went not bad, and I began to be +. Once very lucky in the tournament with Bain $ 1.35 I took 1st place and a prize of $ 758.After the guilty and became me there is no longer allowed and is now playing with the same PRINCIPLE without their money on FullTilt. I always replenish their cash 1 time for $ 10. In order to withdraw winnings. ;)
With FullTilt I got about $ 200. Now I have $ 46.

Last edited:
akyurukov

akyurukov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I haven't won anything yet,deposited a lot,but the big cash is soon to come ;)

C

corrupted15

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started by depositing about 100$ to 888. Got some instant bonuses and deposit bonuses so had over 100$. After a few days started tilting really badly and in a few minutes went down to like just a few dollars, almost busted so I quit for that day. Started playing the smallest sitngos the next day and slowly built my bankroll back up.
It was very beneficial for me because I felt awful after that and really got an appreciation of the importance of bankroll and not tilting.

S

Stephenunited

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either every single person on this thread is super good at poker, or someone isn't telling the truth. Or else only the lucky ones replied. I doubt everyone makes a winning start with poker. For me I must have lost £3,000 to a mixture of cash games and tournaments online from 2010 to 2013. I have made that back plus another £2,000 to date. But when I look back at the beginning, I had clue how to play poker with strategy. I was putting lots of money in with little experience.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either every single person on this thread is super good at poker, or someone isn't telling the truth. Or else only the lucky ones replied. I doubt everyone makes a winning start with poker. For me I must have lost £3,000 to a mixture of cash games and tournaments online from 2010 to 2013. I have made that back plus another £2,000 to date. But when I look back at the beginning, I had clue how to play poker with strategy. I was putting lots of money in with little experience.

I already said I was down $300 at the start of playing before I made it all back and more. Eventually losing players either smarten up or they go busto. I picked the former :D

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never deposited. I have just been playing freerolls and managed to gather 5 $ from them. Now I have turned it to 90 $ and the sum keeps growing slowly but steadily..

K

K1CRA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am starting with $0 on PokerStars and turned it on micro tournaments maybe 1800-1900$, when I look at the Poker rankings site. That's not much big money but with 0$ starting money in cashier, not bad!

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
many years ago I spend $100 to buy in in some tourney on few poker site's like PS and UB and FT, then lost all of it in one night, then changed my game and start winning.
In past 10 years or so didn't make single deposit from my bank account, but using that money what I won.
Made countless withdrawals and cashed out many times, paid for some vacation's, bought me used Honda bike vt600 once for about $2k from online from UB (Ultimate Bet) before they closed down.

But am much better in real live game, won more money than online, but dont have time now to go to play live :)

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since my first deposit on full tilt poker in 2011, I lost 200$ , and I won less than 5$ in freeroll....

There is a French slogan which says:" moderation has much better taste ", but it is impossible to buy in grocer's shop

I really wanted to grow up my bankroll in freeroll to start winning cash.
Thank you all for your loss/win history

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
0. My first transaction was a withdraw.

B

Biscleta

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the past days i´m not having much sucess with poker. I have already had some decent results playing poker, however i had some difficulties to manage my bankroll so that my profit until now is not much thing...also, im steal waiting for a big result on poker

I

IGotThere

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It was a heavy investment in live games for a little bit to say the least. It was well worth it in the long run but expensive lessons for sure lol.

StuffBarnaul

StuffBarnaul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Deposit a little sometimes ($10-20-30), play tours. If i win much, I cashout, max was 400$ (2 and 6 places in little tours during 1 day).