How Much of Poker is Skill & How Much is Luck?

kiso777

kiso777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 80% of poker is skill and 20% is luck

P

pokerdegen2002

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
all I have to say is there a reason the people that study the most and grind poker can make a living out of it where as the typical recreational player may get lucky and have a few good sessions but in the long run will most likely lose money.

M

mamapokera1997

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck is needed. Without it, you cannot win and you cannot reach the leaderboard!

Costy69

Costy69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much is skill and how much is luck

The key is to have a perfect balance of skill and luck. Not easy to do. But can be done.

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill should lead to less luck needed... but it is still needed sometimes even with the right play.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its 50 -50 if you dont have some luck you never will win a mtt.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is 100% skills and 50% luck (Phil Helmuth)

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck can obviously have a large impact, but I think all that matters with a strategy is that in the long term your graph will go up (If you are profitable of course), and looking at the game short term does not make much sense as it is too chaotic.

turrui262

turrui262

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
luck and you run well, have a good grind day, the rest is study and lots of practice

ARsergio

ARsergio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is like this the probability of luck when you play for the first time can be 100%, but the more knowledge you have the probability of luck will go down, and of course we will call it variance, obviously that to win a tournament you need some luck from your side. but in the end we could put it at 70% ability and 30% luck

V

vanish123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the buyin. micro is 40% bingo. bigger lever 70% skill, 30% luck

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it depends of what period of time you’re talking about
Over a long time & if you are any good then I think about 90% is skill, allowing for bad beats in your betting is also a major skill so although it is bad luck to get a bad beat it’s also a great skill to minimise the damage to your stack when this happens ��

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill is more important than luck. With luck, you can win a little. Then you need skill and patience, so as not to lose the funds received.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't get anywhere without both. If you consistently get into hands where you're consistently ahead (in different ways and for different reasons) because of overall good skills, and consistently lose those hands because of bad luck, then all your skill is doing is making you broke.

The most skilled player in the world is destined to be a pauper if he doesn't get lucky at the right times. The worst player in the world is destined to be a multi-billionaire if he does get lucky at the right times.

Percentages? Depends on how lucky you are.

Think about odds. If you lose 100% of the hands where you're 90% favored to win over a ten year period, that's still fair game as far as the odds are concerned. Your run of "bad luck" may not reverse itself till you're 10,000 yrs old. That's fair game for odds which work out perfectly over an infinite time span.

Last edited:
speper

speper

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The amount of skill in poker is 10 and luck is 90 percent

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
luck comes and goes, and skill is achieved through hard work on the game.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to have luck in poker, you can,t win and be successful without it. But for sure you need to play good, because if you will play bad you can,t win. Right now its seems for me, that poker is just about luck and nothing else. Soft just killing me everywhere and everytime and i just don,t have motivation to play at all.

T

TUGIN777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
90% of wins still depend on miscalculations, but those 10 when it seems that you will win 100% sometimes so substitute! You should always think not about how much you can win, but about how much you will lose and soberly assess the possible outcome.
There is a fairly accurate quote:
"1 day of playing poker is 90% luck and 10% skill, 1 year of playing poker is 90% skill and 10% luck."

DizzyDeb717

DizzyDeb717

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
getting good cards is luck, hitting the board is luck, dodging bullets is luck.. etc etc.. there is a ton of luck in poker. all the skill in the world won't help you when some lucky donk hits the garbage he called huge preflop with ;) or when he shoves his gutshot vs your set and hits the river.
poker snobs love to say it's all skill. when they hit, it's skill, and when their opponent hits, it's luck. :D:D:D

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends, regular games i think ts more skill, turbo games 50/50 (early stages more skill, late/mid stages more lucky). Hyper games more lucky ( and the -25bb games)
In hyper games you play a lot of coin flip and 60/40 situations, so its more gambling. And mid/ late stages, when everyone has 8BB, 6max and 3bb levels, you cant wait for AA KK AK, the only thing you have to know to play those games is the ranges for each position

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: I think 70% is skill and 30% is luck, I think it differs like this.

jj77jwj

jj77jwj

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its 60 percent luck 40 percent skill its all about them cards you catch online poker 70 percent luck because i been beat out some really good hands online lot of these poker sites will scam you i will be glad when united states legalize poker