How Much of Poker is Skill & How Much is Luck?

rivermipasion

rivermipasion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people think is 50-50 but for me... the skill break the luck

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
skill

im on a lucky streak. pick up on the weak bids then push in strong .then they fold. be carfull for the trap.:rolleyes:

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pokers a easy game to understand once you figure it out. Skill Its about knowing everything that can help you or your chances of catching a card makes players better/faster. After you know all then you start figuring out other players cards. And then Luck and bluffing comes in and messes it all up. Every1 gets lucky from time to time. Practice makes perfect. Good luck.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
40% skill & 30% luck & 30% guts from money.:rolleyes:

rictor99

rictor99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the the amount of skill vs. luck increases the higher the stakes are. In high stakes games, you shouldn't lose much when you have the best hand pre-flop as other other players will fold to your raises and a lot of pot wins will be blinds. In low stakes, half the people at the table are in on every hand because it's cheap, and great hands pre-flop can lose to 3/9 off suit, which should have been folded pre-flop, but probably won't be if you're at a penny table.

It's easier to predict behavior in higher stakes games as play is more conservative. You don't have people going all-in every single hand.

Z

zzZeldaxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the the amount of skill vs. luck increases the higher the stakes are. In high stakes games, you shouldn't lose much when you have the best hand pre-flop as other other players will fold to your raises and a lot of pot wins will be blinds. In low stakes, half the people at the table are in on every hand because it's cheap, and great hands pre-flop can lose to 3/9 off suit, which should have been folded pre-flop, but probably won't be if you're at a penny table.

It's easier to predict behavior in higher stakes games as play is more conservative. You don't have people going all-in every single hand.

I agree 100%!

kisjanik24

kisjanik24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

I think luck is more than skill see the river but in turn you have to know the skill when you raise when you bluff or you just fold so that the almost certain hand swims away that's why monodm is more luck

SharKyg1n

SharKyg1n

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
45% skill, 25% luck, 30% discipline but it is not exactly :rolleyes:

W

wonima

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The smaller the number of participants, the less important the skills.:)

A

azgeda

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello. I would split it 50% luck 50% skill. Poker is a game of chance after all, even a fish could get lucky and win, but again it’s more on the skill side.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say it's a game of skill mainly when you approach it on a mathematical point of view.
If you pick good spots and make +EV decisions, you'll have more equity than your opponent and thus in the long run you'll be profitable. Even if in the short run you might get a few coolers, it's part of the game but in the long run, your decision will be profitable.
If you flip a coin and everytime you get heads you win $1 and everytime you get tails you lose 1$. Since the chance of a coin flip is 50/50, in the long run you expect to break even.
What if you chose 60% equity spots everytime you bet? That's equal to the coin flip but the chance of getting heads is 60%, and thus getting tails has 40%. In that scenario, with every coin flip, you are expected to win $0.2. Again, not going to win everything in the short run, but in the long run, this is a very profitable decision.

P

pepomjp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its all about skill. 100 % Why do you see the same players on big tournaments winning? Luck can knock out of a tournament but on the long run skills will win.
I recomend you to read Doyle Bronson books and Danielle Negroni .Good luck. Hahaha Im joking lol. XD :D:D:D

Mr_Dangerous

Mr_Dangerous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
My Opinion is, for me it's 50/50. But then again I wonder about certain people that always just seem to win?? lol

Mr_Dangerous

Mr_Dangerous

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
45% skill, 25% luck, 30% discipline but it is not exactly :rolleyes:

Interesting theory. I've always wondered about disciplined players but when I play like that, it just never seems to work out for me. Interesting percentages there.

Xambo

Xambo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck and skill shorn together in poker. You need both.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This is one of Poker's great mysteries, I think it is all down to the individual player, Over a life time of playing Poker a skillful player will win most of the time, while a lucky player will win some of the time. It's called Variance!
We all have faults and make mistakes, but Poker is a game that is won, the majority of the time by players making the fewest mistakes, and like it is often said " you can pick up Poker in 5 minutes, but it takes a life-time to master".
A player who spends as much time studying as they do playing, will better their chances of making fewer mistakes and become more skillful and successful, when playing the game. I usually spend more time watching Videos and professional players playing than I actually play myself.
There is nothing wrong in that, as I feel my game play has got a little better over the years and yes I am winning overall when I sit down for a session. I may not ever win a World Title but who cares?

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Artur22277

Artur22277

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need both luck and skill, because if you play well, a lot depends on luck anyway

19honu62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck varies

I would also offer that there are players that are luckier than others as the universe does not create equal luck just as if you practice enough and get good it's amazing how lucky you can get!

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think 85% of poker is skill and 15% is luck. The player who has good technique can consistently advance to the highest levels when participating in a tournament.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
According to you, poker is all about luck or skill?

:rolleyes:
What can we talk about. Certainly this is a skill acquired over the years. As in any other business. Luck is a percentage, but not so significant. If you rely only on luck, losses will begin very quickly.

B

bioman420

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
50% skill 40% luck others 10% despair .... kkkkk

M

maroca06

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the two together, you must know but you have to count on luck too.

D

DubinaSergey

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is fleeting profit. Skill is profit over the long run.