How Much of Poker is Skill & How Much is Luck?

davidsincara

davidsincara

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think like this:
- In one tourney: 70% luck 30% skill.
- In 50 tourneys: 50% luck 50% skill.
- In 500 tourneys: 30% luck 70% skill.

make that 1,000 Tourneys for a proper sample size, and your appoach it's about 70% accurate 30% fun :)

Ram41k

Ram41k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lucky in poker

Luck is clearly not on my side today:eek:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 47
O

orlando miguel rossler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me the line is 30 skill and 70 luck at the table is 80 skill and 20 luck

B

Boodah420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a lot of lucky in poker, because it is a card game and any hand can be the best at the river. Bad beats are very commom. But, if you have the skill, you will be succesfull in the long run.

M

Meroveus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Luck is what cards you get.
Skill is what you do with them.

The more skill you have, the more "luck" you will have because you'll be able to play more hands profitably.

So the answer will always be 50/50 -- just the total of the "Skill" and the "Luck" increases.

Oh -- nobody asked, but the greatest skill in poker is knowing when to fold

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Luck, luck and only luck. But still, of course, basic knowledge is needed, as well as patience and endurance.

O

over_big

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a mixture of luck and skill.

The more skill you have the less you have to rely or depend on luck.

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
According to you, is poker about luck or skill?

:rolleyes:

At first when I was getting started in poker that I was learning to play it I used to think that this game was about 50% luck and 50% skill, then over time I realized that poker was more a game of skill than luck where the mental game is very important and where we can get many advantages, now poker for me is 70% skill and 30% luck.

A

alfge0808

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is definitely a game that requires skill. It is a sport of the mind that needs many factors at the table, it is not just AA or KK that define a good player. A good player needs to know the hands of his opponents, know their betting practice and know how to play soft or aggressive. Unfortunately, there are many more players who think it is a game of luck like a lottery and few really have the skills to play from the mind.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players level

If you don't know how to play. your game is 99% luck 1% skill if you do know how to play. average your skill level is about 50% compared to luck. If you actually know what you're doing and know how to play if you can get an edge of 1% on top of luck that means that you are 51% skillful 49% luck,you might do better. And on the other note if you rely only on luck you are 99% sure to win if you use your skill with that luck good luck on the tables everyone and as always have fun

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a good size tournament you can't make the final table most of the time without some luck. But you can say the same thing about skill. As to percentages I'm not sure how to put a number to it.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much of poker is skill and how much is luck?

Success in a game like poker consists of 80% skill and 20% luck

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
80% is luck and 20% is skill.

In my opinion, at lower stakes Micro \ Low \ Medium the above applies because the people are not professionals and only play these levels for fun or recreation and have not studied the mathematics or Optimal strategies.

Higher stakes, Luck is 60% and skill is 40% - You still need to get lucky to win a race.

Misaki

Misaki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% skill.

There are of course luck factors in single hands or on some small samples, but come on. If you are a competent player, you understand variance, you improve your game day by day then "luck" factor doesn't matter.
For me "luck" factor doesn't even exist. What does it mean for you? losing aces few times a row? being eliminated on bubble in important tournament?
just make a volume, try to make most +ev decision as you can, work on your mindset and believe me that you will forget about something like "luck". But most of people prefer to complain about how unlucky they are but they never ask yourself: how much they study, how big volume they make, what they can improv, was it bad luck or maybe my bad play? there are many questions which people avoid.

ranynight

ranynight

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u can be 100/100 skilled player but without luck u nothing. Any braindmged newbie can outplay u on a short distance. Any fish can be a skilled player, but without luck he is minus player(fish)

S

Sgsoares74

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Skill to Find the right spots to apply the best play every time and after that IS basicly luck, skill to make the right decidimos and then pray lol.

schtiuky

schtiuky

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends from hand to hand YOU have to admit that luck is part of the game

S

samsonand

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a very complicated subject, we are not all the same I met a friend who had very, very bad luck, so he could never win and that he knew very well all the rules of poker he dominated and he is the one who encouraged me to play and get into this excellent game but even so he left it because in my first games I already won money but after so much playing I could not win much I just won but it is the truth something of each person and I calculate that 50% against a fifty %

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
luck is important, but skill prevails in the long run!