How to make your other half love (or at least accept) poker.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Honestly the truth is you really can't make them accept it if they don't or won't even when you can show them years of evidence you're a winning player and I had a mountain of evidence. Had an ex was like that. Keyword being ex.

Current wife fully supports and accepts my poker hobby and is quite happy I have a hobby that keeps me mostly home(I play mainly online+couple nights a month at my buddies home game) and makes me some side money.

The best way to get them to accept it thou is have mountains of evidence that shows you're a winning player. A sat down the current wife very early into dating her. I think it was our 3rd or 4th date. I sat it up so I was playing a couple cash tables when she showed up for the date she had no idea I played before then. At first I told I'd be a few mins(once around till my BB) then I'd be done and I'd be all hers for the night. She said no hurry grabbed a chair and sat quietly for a couple hands watching, Then as a figured the questions started as I knew/hoped they would. I then laid it all out for her, showed years of results, all sites I have played transaction/deposit/withdraw histories and Poker Tracker 4/Holdem Manager histories.

Cheers!!!

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think you shouldn't think about it as "making" them do anything. If poker is your hobby, then they should at least respect that, provided that it doesn't interfere unreasonably with your relationship time. Healthy relationships have a mixture of together and independent time, where both parties are happy and content. If you are struggling to find that balance, then it's definitely something to communicate about together and to set and negotiate expectations. That's all on the surface of the issue. It often goes deeper than that, such as when the poker player is spending more time on poker than on the relationship, is a losing player that is depositing money that they can't afford or neglecting spending on activities in the relationship, or maybe has some emotional issues as a result of getting tilted by playing poker and which affects the relationship. The key is to stay level, keep an open mind to the concerns on both sides, be healthy mentally, physically, and financially, and communicate.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
If you earn income from it and control time, it's too easy.

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
for me that part is logic, and it's hard con convince it haha

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the other half should see a positive result in terms of money, and not just nerves and psychos, sometimes discuss friends who play computer games or drink a lot - so that your poker game seems like a plus

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As long as it doesn't affect finances negatively and social life (if wanted) they shouldn't have much of a problem.
Win a major amount and they will shut up. As long as you treat your baby fine. Lol

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Playing a profitable game with good bankroll management is definitely important to avoid any fears and worries with your partner.
In case the partner has another hobby that you are not sharing you can point this out as well to get the acceptance to your hobby.
I also would try to set up a play money home game with common friends and my partner to show what fun it can be to play poker with friends.
In the past, my ex-hubbies also played poker and we played even with my mum and her partner home games although my mum is not
interested in playing poker for real money. It was always fun.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to teach your half love to play poker or earn a lot of money with poker:)

Eeanoriya

Eeanoriya

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I have no problem with the other half) he prefers a woman to sit at home playing poker than to look at other men somewhere:p:D

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
No way. It is impossible to force another person to accept or love something that he does not like and is contrary to his principles. All tricks will be psychological manipulations and if they are effective, they will not last long. A match can only be found among people with the same interest.

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the best way is to make enough time for your relationships so that they don't feel like poker is the problem

Academico

Academico

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
You can't make him love, whether he loves it or not, but you can make him accept it.

9peso

9peso

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just manage your time the way that your half be 99% of your life, poker only when you have free time and no gambling, only play for fun.
Of course 99% when we talk about girl to poker proportions, girl can't be 99% of your all life :p
You have your own hobbys, you know ;)

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If to say shortly: I haven't this problem, because in my family Everybody doing your cases, not interfering the others!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If they don't like it. Too bad for them. Get rid of them! Problem solved.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Part of the problem lies in the fact that when you play, she has free time and nothing to do with herself.The wife is the busiest of women; she simply cannot have free time.Your wife requires attention that you are not always ready to give.Your wife requires attention, which you are not always ready to give. If you live comfortably with a person, your interests coincide and the parties successfully complement each other, then this is a very valuable condition and it is possibly more valuable than sex.

kabokinha

kabokinha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
make the person play a few games with you

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think, from my point of view, if your life partner is unhappy with your playing poker, it is better not to make him become attached to or love the game of poker, so that you do not suffer from what he may suffer because of your love for the game and the time you will spend in it, because the problem will be on your part and on his part.:)

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that playing against your peers is the best way to convince her to like poker, thus engaging her in a competition.

Falai_san

Falai_san

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I'm still single, but I don't see it necessary to make my girlfriend or wife play poker.
Everyone has their own tendencies

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

How can you make your other half love (or at least accept) poker?​

Just be you and through your love of poker or your commitment, she will understand. And if she loves you, she will at least respect your choice or decision. To be loved is to be understood.