How to make your other half love (or at least accept) poker.

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips

How can you make your other half love (or at least accept) poker?​

Last edited by a moderator:
CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It's easy for me, in fact, my boyfriend could already be said to be a full-time poker player. hahaha.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I go through the same problem. I'm a recreational player, but I have the game as a hobby. At times, my partner doesn't understand the hours I spend playing the game, but I try my best to come up with a plan so I don't stop paying attention to family, work, studies!

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I have found that the easiest way is to give em half of your profit when you win and don't ask for anything when you lose.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
If you want your other half to love poker as much as you just share the prize you win, tell me this, my darling, I won half of the amount in poker because you understand that I'm wasting my time for this money, thank you after which she will have a good poker experience and will be happy to have you playing poker!

Ataman911

Ataman911

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Prove to her that you earn from poker🤣

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that you don't need to make your soulmate fall in love with what you personally like because it's better to show her in practice that poker can be a profitable activity. I had to actually prove that I could win and play this game profitably. My darling spent a month showing my weekly reports on poker profits, so we found some kind of compromise, after which she took it for granted.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that with good results people tend to accept it better!

romalion

romalion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
win some cool tournament with big prizes, and she herself thinks that she will at least start playing poker

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm lucky my significant other loves to play poker

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Every case is different.
-In my case, I explained that I wouldn't be depositing my money, so there wasn't any risk to our economy.
-All that I have, spend, or lose is money that I earned playing from freerolls and reivesting it.
-I tell her that I have a bankroll goal to keep it just to play.
-I don't let poker interfere in our time as a couple.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Buy her something interesting for your wife and tell her that you bought it with the money you won at poker.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do your chores, continue family commitments, don't spend more than you have budgeted and can afford, don't get angry or throw hissies when you get beat. Win some money once and a while. In other words have a life and have fun!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try to explain how the game works, that is just not about luck.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
first need to find my other half 😅

Arthurinacio17a

Arthurinacio17a

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
showing the good side of poker, teaching her how to play and taking her out to eat and saying that it was poker that paid

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Well, I play online, at home and available to her most of the time. This already helps, as there are other hobbies like football where the husband leaves the house to play and spends hours outside.
Another thing that helps is that I always talk to her before entering a tournament. I warn her that it might take a long time and ask if she agrees with me coming in. So, if she says she needs me, I simply won't play along. This attitude also helps her understand when I'm going to play a tournament for which I have a ticket, because in this case it has to be on that day and time.
And of course, win sometimes and share the money. Every now and then I withdraw poker money and take her to dinner somewhere more special than normal, always as a surprise. So I show the screenshot of the screen where I won some money and say:
- Baby, I won that money in that tournament. I got it so we could have a special night...
Usually the night is special beyond dinner.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

How can you make your other half love (or at least accept) poker?​

Very easy. Every time you win money, share this money with your "half", and I assure you that there will always be mutual understanding and harmony in your relationship.

waisichy

waisichy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Spend your winnings on them or at least some of your winnings (that is if you are a profitable player).

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The truth is you can't, if they are not interested in the game, they won't be swayed into playing. My wife once asked me why I played Crbbage at the Pub, and when I taught her how to play, she often beat me, even though she couldn't work out the points system, I had to do that for her. but incredibly she could see if a hand was good enough just by it's looks, If it made straights or pairs she would always discard cards that didn't help her.
I have told her she has a natural talent for keeping straight faced (Poker Faced) and would excel at the game, but she is just not interested. And as they say "You can lead a horse to water, But cannot make it drink".