How to Handle Bad Luck Swings in Poker?

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in such situations visited more than once, my nerves were already on edge, then changed his usual style of play, and he's fine, I don't take the first places, but almost always became to get into the prizes.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my advice is if your doing well with sit and gos ..stick with them it may take you longer to make $$$ but in the long run you will make more this way I too had a problem with cash games there made for people that have a good bankroll this is just my opinion others may vary on that but for me they have a decent bankroll and do not mind gambling for a flush or a full house or what not so whatever your winning at stick with it it will make you and your bankroll better in the end good luck pal

Y

yehhhboyyy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling it quits

When experiencing bad luck , call it a night and wake up the next morning and give it another shot.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In vain you hope for bad luck. You need to gain experience and read more articles on the game of poker. You also have to switch to lower rates at the tables or only when you see progress in the game, sit down at more expensive tables ..

I

iceiceice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A big thing that helped me was changing my mindset regarding getting sucked out on. If I am constantly getting my money in good, then the only way bad players can beat me is by sucking out. Realize you can't win every hand and that variance goes both ways. If the suck outs are hurting your game, then your playing at too high of stakes.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is normal in cash games,for saying you have bad look in cash you need to play more than 10k hands and your statistics program show you a cooler off some thing clouse to 60%. Other than that is like trowing a coin if you do it 10 times could get face 8 times and shield 3,but iff you do it 10k times it will be 49,3 to 50,7.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker has ups and downs. You are recognizing this so that's actually a good thing. It means don't let your guard down. Someone might have a better hand than you in every given hand. You can only play your odds and hope for the best. Poker is like the rubics cube. The more you play it the harder it gets.

CptRunBad

CptRunBad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are truly experiencing what people call "bad luck" then the only way to over come that is to play more. When you get your chips in good and you are 90-10 to win the hand and your opponent sucks out on you, you have to be proud of your play. You put your money in with the best chance to win. You have to understand the variance that goes along with poker swings. up or down.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know the feeling. I have almost no luck at all. So, I play cheaper tables and freerolls. I make many deep runs in tournaments, but when it really counts, my pocket AA or KK will get crushed by 76 offsuit, 80% of the time, (by the only chip stack on the table that is larger then mine), and my $3.30 by-in cashes out for $5.59. So, I am still waiting to win that hand for something better.
And, I did get first place one time in a $2.00 for $137.00.
Hang in there and play for cheep until you get your turn.
Good luck, and see you on the tables.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
My advice is to do something different ... change strategy and try playing other poker options ... other level tournaments ... and even try other poker sites ...! You need a change ..!

M

Millie232

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i appreciate i wont win every time im a 80% fave to win a hand

Losing an 80% favourite is not a bad beat - by a long shot. You're going to lose that hand 1/5 times, which is actually fairly often. Personally, I don't consider something a bad beat unless I'm a 95%+ favourite.

If you aren't showing any results after a whole year, I'm sorry to say but it's unlikely this is purely due to bad beats - sure they'll probably play a part (and sometimes you definitely get more than your fair share), but a year long streak more realistically indicates problems with reading what your opponents have or problems with your bet sizing. If you're being outdrawn a lot on the turn/river - you're probably not playing [big] enough defensive bets.

But a year long losing streak isn't impossible, and if you genuinely are just losing out and not showing profits - drop down a stake or two and regain your confidence while you rebuild a bankroll. If it's bad luck, it'll stop eventually. Also make sure that you aren't tilting as a result of some bad beats: one bad beat can easily turn into fifty stupid beats.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
With bad luck can not do anything or has it or it nyama.Vse again if it continues longer become or take a break.:D:D:D

M

mioou2011

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's just about getting emotional, and I think the only solution is to take a deep breath and smell some fresh air ... and every thing gonna be alright ;-)

P

pineknob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
take a short break.. focus on yourself... exercise. breathing .. stretch.. then five minutes later rebound and take it down.

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
one year isn't enoughYou have to play a lot to learn how to win.In cardcat created all conditions for this.A lot of freerolls on different sites.Play more and gain experience. I wish you luck.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont, its why i dont really play poker anymore. probably die of a heart attack watching run outs and stuff. I dunno Ive tried but even when Im holding it all in, even my dogs know im mad regardless if anyone else does,

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
luck is def a part of the game, but taking breaks and refreshing def helps when you run into the bad luck...

jrutledge

jrutledge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just stop playing for the day if I get a few bad beats

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A two-week break from poker should clean your mind. It's good to go somewhere for the holidays. After returning, there is a new, fresh approach to the game. If we get a badbeta, we laugh at it :)

alfiyka

alfiyka

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
although I registered on several sites play only on poker stars.But lately I've been thinking about giving up playing.Previously, periods of luck and bad luck alternated.Today, nothing but failure.Poker stars could be more generous.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i guess you are ending all in in many hands,try to avoid that and play a little more check call,that way iff u have AA and villain gets 2 pair or a set you can drop the hand at the turn or the river. it had happen to me in tournaments(that its want i play the most) so i avoid ending all in, and iff i see im in a down sing i start playing check call

J

Joshua BNL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most people say, take a break. It's easier said then done by the way.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands