How do you work out the anxiety while you are playing poker?

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a well-organised bankroll your nerves will not built you down. This is actually healthy to be anxious, like actors, singers, even politicians can be before their performances. But be able to handle to pressure, don't want to jump in to the lake, which is so deep for you. Timing is everything.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I take a lot of notes, even more when I'm getting too anxious. That calms my emotions and leads to better decisions.
Oh and experience helps.
It's easier to get anxious in new situations when you have to calculate on the fly and the bubble/FT is near.
When you've folded A5s in the BB to an early position bet and LP+3bet a hundred times it becomes standard.

Last edited:
V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I find it easy anxiety only helps to better focus! If you do not have to worry about the game that is boring, and the result will be bad! But intense fear may be just a game bankroll or if you are quite new!

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lower the stakes - that is a good, working solution.
Sometimes I take a day off - it is a necessity and a-must-have every now and then.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more I play and get into late stages or big hands the more comfortable I am getting. Obv in bigger tournaments I still have some nerves and seem to be less active which is definitely something I’m working on and getting better at. With many things in life the more you do it and gain experience the better you get.

Refinado Tom

Refinado Tom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before starting a tournament I evaluate if I reach the final table how much time will pass approximately - and I think I hope I'm playing this tournament so many hours. And I play knowing that I've to be that amount of hours sitting. I try not to care if anyone is doing time. It's part of the game.

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Propranolol: Absolutely the best remedy, Even Surgeons use it and have been know to self prescribe for performance anxiety.

In a 1987 study by the International Conference of Symphony and Opera Musicians, it was shown that 27% of interviewed members admitted to using beta blockers such as propranolol for musical performances. For about 10–16% of performers, their degree of stage fright is considered pathological.

Propranolol is used by musicians, actors, and public speakers for its ability to treat anxiety symptoms activated by the sympathetic nervous system.

It has also been used as a performance-enhancing drug in sports where high accuracy is required, including archery, shooting, golf and snooker. In the 2008 Summer Olympics, 50-metre pistol silver medalist and 10-metre air pistol bronze medalist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medals.

If you speak to your doctor about anxiety, its likely you can be prescribed this beta blocker and reduce your Bust outs as a profitable side effect...

its really interesting! I have some of this, doctor said to take them becouse of my aritmia. Didnt know they treat anxiety. I will try, thanks!

AlexandrS606

AlexandrS606

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Due to my excitement and fear of losing my accumulated pot, I start to play poorly, especially when big prizes are at stake. As a result, I fly out with good cards on hand ....

B

bonanzaJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends of the community of CardsChat, I would like to know how you work the anxiety while you are playing, especially in those periods of time when you do not have good hands. Thanks for your comments.

I like to sit out a round of the table and close my eyes for 3 minutes, with or without music. This helps me meditate and visualise success.
Quite often when i go to sit back in, there can be a big hand waiting for me :D

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exercising helped reduce my anxiety at the table. I also have no problem walking away from the table or the screen to gather myself. Don’t let the thought of missing a hand(s) detour you. If you’ve playing bad that’s -EV more so then missing an orbit of blinds and antes. Meditation is my next project. I’ve heard that it can reduce stress. Basically I’m preparing myself before I sit down and if that goes wrong I briefly walk away.

C

chuckycheese

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello friends of the community of CardsChat, I would like to know how you work the anxiety while you are playing, especially in those periods of time when you do not have good hands. Thanks for your comments.
The biggest thing i had to figure out is, crap happens. you will be drawed out on and finally not giving a crap, just go on to the next hand. it just doesnt bother me anymore years of practice helps

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've heard of adderall but not this thanks will look into it. Seems like I probably won't get it though but maybe lucky.
Also wanna say most commenters are acting like anxiety is not part of the game. You can't escape it, especially if you're a tournament player. It's of course more pronounced when you don't practice BRM like moi but I think it's always there. It could also be a symptom of a bigger underlying issue but I don't think you can fully get rid of it. Also would highly recommend daily meditation.
Propranolol: Absolutely the best remedy, Even Surgeons use it and have been know to self prescribe for performance anxiety.

In a 1987 study by the International Conference of Symphony and Opera Musicians, it was shown that 27% of interviewed members admitted to using beta blockers such as propranolol for musical performances. For about 10–16% of performers, their degree of stage fright is considered pathological.

Propranolol is used by musicians, actors, and public speakers for its ability to treat anxiety symptoms activated by the sympathetic nervous system.

It has also been used as a performance-enhancing drug in sports where high accuracy is required, including archery, shooting, golf and snooker. In the 2008 Summer Olympics, 50-metre pistol silver medalist and 10-metre air pistol bronze medalist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medals.

If you speak to your doctor about anxiety, its likely you can be prescribed this beta blocker and reduce your Bust outs as a profitable side effect...

T

TheChosenDragon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started playing music again while playing.
First I didn't do it anymore because strange coincident, if I played music, I started playing bad.
So I got it in my head, music = losing.
But recently I started again playing music, and playing poker is much more chill now. :)
What I also do is put on the TV and watch a movie.

For live poker, it's strange but I get hyper focused.
I once played a tournement that I won, and people were complaining like: Hey you are the whole time absent in your mind, and you keep stealing our chips. :p
It also made them not to be able to read my hands, it's actually a good poker face. :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Also wanna say most commenters are acting like anxiety is not part of the game. You can't escape it, especially if you're a tournament player. It's of course more pronounced when you don't practice BRM like moi but I think it's always there.

I can't escape it??? Umm.. what if I don't have it?

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oddly enough, if a long game session in which I am not lucky, then audiobooks help well. Strongly distracts the plot. Gradually, you look at the cards out of the corner of your eye. When a good hand comes out. I pause and focus on it

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Music is how I wind up or down. And sum pushups help relax too. I like to do other stuff while I play so I dont get to antsy.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By shuffling decks and playing with dices.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Music is a good MEDICINE...........

efranto2286

efranto2286

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Hello I spend much anxiety as I play or I'm in a crucial hand so helped me :) much read the opinions of all here to manage anxiety

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice and breath! Try do meditate before the game

T1ltmonkey

T1ltmonkey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is a matter of mindset. I play mostly cash games, and I used to get really nervous because I was so afraid to lose. The difference for me was when I finally understood the idea of poker being just one long session. It doesn't really matter if I win this one hand, or this day, or this week. All that matters is that I play to the best of my ability and make the best decisions I can - the results will take care of themselves. I can't control what cards come or what other players do. One hand or one session in a lifetime of play is literally nothing. Certainly nothing to be too anxious about. Understanding that was really liberating for me. And I really think I play better after understanding that.

Of course I get nervous sometimes playing a big pot, that is natural. Just let that feeling go when the hand is over, don' fret and don't let it tilt you. There is always another hand and a better spot.