How do you work out the anxiety while you are playing poker?

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends of the community of CardsChat, I would like to know how you work the anxiety while you are playing, especially in those periods of time when you do not have good hands. Thanks for your comments.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm online....I play the pencil drums. Drives my wife nuts. Live...I chat it up.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I bite my nails... Sad story :(

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anxiety is a concerning word. Many people complain about boredom but just sitting at the table I wouldn't expect that anyone should feel anxious. If you're in a big hand it can be tough but in general you should try to be more relaxed. Pay attention to the action even when you are not in the hand so you know how others are playing when you eventually ARE in a hand. Engage in table chat as others have suggested. Try to spot weaknesses in each players game. There should be plenty to focus on if you're tuned in.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Don't play with money that you can't afford to lose (search bankroll management). Playing above your limits will make almost anyone anxious.

The more you play the less anxiety will affect you:)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Interesting hands can get one a buzz, but I play for enjoyment, follow the bankroll management practice Dave mentioned above & enjoy.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, anxiety faded over time. In the beginning, I would get nervous/anxious just about every time I would play. As I got more experience and started having some success, the anxiety faded away. Definitely don't play in stakes that are too high for you because then you will definitely be playing scared. Don't get stressed out if you aren't getting great hands. Use that time to observe the play around you and just enjoy the experience of playing.

M

Muckutoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anxiety can be tough to manage, but well worth getting a handle on. Poker is no different than anything else in life, the more often you play it, the less anxious you should feel. If it doesn’t, something needs to change

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I have no good hands for a long time, romantic music and 100 grams of brandy reassure me.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
1. I always play only those funds that I can afford to spend.
2. I try to be patient and wait for strong cards.
3. I control my emotions.
4. I only play when I have a good mood.
5. I play for the sake of pleasure and not for the sake of money.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you anxious? What do you fear?

Anxiety leads to incorrect decisions because they will be emotionally based.

Anxiety emerges in players in different ways and usually results in a tell.

When you extinguish one tell another one will emerge if the basis for the anxiety has not been addressed.

Good luck !

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a constant challenge for me as well. But I try to breathe well and do my best to stay patient. But it's too hard

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
generally I always launch a video to listen and have a good time when I do not get a card. but that does not prevent me from remaining attentive and watching my opponents. I always try to play when I have good morale and feel that I will be calm and clear enough to make good decisions. if not, I stop playing and go out to change my mind.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Listen to John Coltrane and Billie Holyday.

P

Percivalpl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink beer:) just not to much because I make stupid calls then:D

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As I sit and suffer, or freaking out and eliminated from the tournament)))

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I listen to music while I play poker. I like listening to music most of the time anyways. but I find it works for myself.

I like playing both and I also relax by having some coffee

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My leg is constantly bouncing up & down when I'm nervous. I just put on some music that I enjoy and it tends to soothe my nerves when it's getting down close to the money.

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to work with other things and I dont care whether my hands are good or not. I see the hands as a computer that you have to make specific moves.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a lot of smoke. this is a big problem. ((

B

Bertie Wooster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the question is, what are you anxious about? Everybody goes Card dead from time to time .

In tournaments, everybody except one guy basically loses. So you have to ask yourself, why am I anxious? Am I afraid of losing the money? And that of that some previous posts probably have their finger on the pulse of your problem, if it's about money you might be playing over your head or not managing a bankroll correctly

For a player who wants to develop, Not just in poker, but in life as a human being, I need to keep asking questions to go to the next level of whatever I'm dealing with. Why am I anxious? What am I worried about? What am I really worried about?

Most people if they develop Emotionally and spiritually will realize that what they're worried about is looking badd. Ego runs The show, and we need to get over that to be the bestWe can be.

So back in 2006 to 2009 I've pretty much played full time and supported myself through poker.I was also kind of on a spiritual run and I was growing a lot personally. One day I realized that none of it matters. Doesn't matter if I want to turnament it doesn't matter if I bust out 1st, in the whole scheme of things it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter of people think I'm a good player or a badd player. It doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things it's very In significant

I realize that I often made plays because I was afraid of looking pad or what people would think. This is not on the surface you have to dig for it. There is always some superficial reason that we used to cover our ass ego wise. This is probably the primary thing that keeps people being mediocre players , They will look for excuses as to why they lost. They will call things badd beats then I really badd beats so they can protect their egos from the realization that they made a mistake, or maybe they're not as good a player as they Tell themselves they are.

Getting over this, In my humble opinion, is getting past one of the biggest stumbling blocks To being a much better player and certainly a more relaxed and anxiety free player

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are so focused and work-centric around the online and live felts, you have to prioritize your off-time in order to think and feel your best possible self. Working out, eating balanced meals, and other small details you may find nourishing for your persona.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends of the community of CardsChat, I would like to know how you work the anxiety while you are playing, especially in those periods of time when you do not have good hands. Thanks for your comments.

Propranolol: Absolutely the best remedy, Even Surgeons use it and have been know to self prescribe for performance anxiety.

In a 1987 study by the International Conference of Symphony and Opera Musicians, it was shown that 27% of interviewed members admitted to using beta blockers such as propranolol for musical performances. For about 10–16% of performers, their degree of stage fright is considered pathological.

Propranolol is used by musicians, actors, and public speakers for its ability to treat anxiety symptoms activated by the sympathetic nervous system.

It has also been used as a performance-enhancing drug in sports where high accuracy is required, including archery, shooting, golf and snooker. In the 2008 Summer Olympics, 50-metre pistol silver medalist and 10-metre air pistol bronze medalist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medals.

If you speak to your doctor about anxiety, its likely you can be prescribed this beta blocker and reduce your Bust outs as a profitable side effect...