How do you explain to your family and friends that poker isn't gambling?

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tell them that they belong to the 98% that doesn't get it and we appreciate them a lot. Also there are pros. What does that mean? Then keep winning and show them your results.

J

jazux48

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, there is an element of excitement, but the main problem is that others worry, because poker takes a lot of time, especially relatives with whom you spend little time due to frequent poker games.

idhemmy

idhemmy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
You can also explain how professionals make a living playing poker, which wouldn't be possible if it were purely a game of chance. You could show them articles or videos of successful poker players who consistently earn money by using their skill and knowledge of the game.

werty328

werty328

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
not how!)) I told my friends, but my relatives are not against this! (this is gambling, how not how

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is complicated, the important thing is to focus on yourself and see that the results support you. It is only how you can understand that it is a profession and, as in everything in life, the one who does things better achieves results.

paddyswarrior

paddyswarrior

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
Poker is gambling

Skillful & those with table experience will do better than most... But when you go all in with AA there's always the chance you can easily be beaten by the player who calls you with 23o....

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The big problem is that in fact poker is recognized as a sport of the mind just like chess. But usually this argument doesn't work and you will even find it difficult to find a non-news site stating this.

With me, the precocity only ended when I presented the results, without having to justify what poker is all about.

When people understand that it can be a real way to earn money, they "take it" and don't judge you directly anymore.

So the advice I give you is: show your results, or if you simply play only freerolls and with your respective winnings, explain this, maybe it's the only way to go.

Good luck.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
My family doesn't care if it's gambling or not... But they would like to see me win more from playing it.

juan1579

juan1579

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I talk to them about the strategies, positions and types of bets and they realize that it is not just a game of chance but a game of strategies

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not... because it is Gambling....

E

elmstreet512

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone in the CardsChat community

For years I have wanted to dedicate myself seriously to poker and take it as a Business or Profession, because I have always had an interest in poker, I have read books, seen countless videos and articles whenever time allows, etc.
My interest is to continue on the path of improvement and constant learning so that one day I can play professionally.

This interest has made many of my friends worry about me and advise me to “play it easy” since poker is a game and falling into the habit of gambling “is the worst”. I explain to them that if you play with bankroll and with micro-limits and little by little you increase it, winning at poker becomes more of a mathematical task than a matter of chance and that the latter practically disappears from the equation until it becomes mere statistics and probability, but not everyone wants to see it.

My mother, for her part, says that what I'm doing is wasting time and you're getting old with that gambling addiction. Many times it has made me lose motivation. The truth is that my mother always looks for the negative side of everything, it is as they say "Fatalist". Without a doubt this represents a cross that I have to carry because in my family they will interpret this as an outbreak of compulsive gambling, but anyway I explain what I said before but it does not fully convince them.

If someone could give me some pointers on what to do and show my close friends that this hobby is no different from spending money on books, video games, etc., and that it can also be an interesting source of money if taken seriously. homework and studied about it.

I've asked this of other poker players and some have told me not to waste time explaining why strategies win in poker and it's not just dumb luck. Just don't tell me what I do for a living until I get good results.

What do the colleagues think?

E

elmstreet512

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Why don't you get a nice print of your bankroll over time and frame that? That should show you and them whether you are gambling or not.
You can't explain to your family. The family will only accept poker if you win. 😉

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just compare it with a chess and it is a game of skill and dedication because if it isn`t you will not see so often the same names as a winners.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No need to .after all it's a gambling game .am I wrong ?

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I guess the benefits of being old is that I don't have to explain to the what I do or when I do it. I pay my bills, not them so if they said anything negative my response to them would to **** off, and i would block them.

muzenza2012

muzenza2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I would say that poker is widespread all over the world, that it is a game of skills and reasoning, and that if they don't understand, TOO bad for them lol

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello everyone in the CardsChat community

For years I have wanted to dedicate myself seriously to poker and take it as a Business or Profession, because I have always had an interest in poker, I have read books, seen countless videos and articles whenever time allows, etc.
My interest is to continue on the path of improvement and constant learning so that one day I can play professionally.

This interest has made many of my friends worry about me and advise me to “play it easy” since poker is a game and falling into the habit of gambling “is the worst”. I explain to them that if you play with bankroll and with micro-limits and little by little you increase it, winning at poker becomes more of a mathematical task than a matter of chance and that the latter practically disappears from the equation until it becomes mere statistics and probability, but not everyone wants to see it.

My mother, for her part, says that what I'm doing is wasting time and you're getting old with that gambling addiction. Many times it has made me lose motivation. The truth is that my mother always looks for the negative side of everything, it is as they say "Fatalist". Without a doubt this represents a cross that I have to carry because in my family they will interpret this as an outbreak of compulsive gambling, but anyway I explain what I said before but it does not fully convince them.

If someone could give me some pointers on what to do and show my close friends that this hobby is no different from spending money on books, video games, etc., and that it can also be an interesting source of money if taken seriously. homework and studied about it.

I've asked this of other poker players and some have told me not to waste time explaining why strategies win in poker and it's not just dumb luck. Just don't tell me what I do for a living until I get good results.

What do the colleagues think?
Isn't it? Don't try to explain that poker isn't betting because that looks worse. Admit that is betting, but explain what is your plan to keep it under control.

Something that helped me to explain to my wife what I was doing, was that I started by saying that I would never put money in it. That the money that I use is money that I earned playing from zero and reinvested it. Or even that if I would put money, it would be a small amount every once in a while, nothing that put our economy on risk.

Priorize the time with the family is important too.

And if you tell'em that you have a bankroll management, you have to really follow it.

But, don't go crazy trying to become a pro. Is already really positive to make at least a small income from poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let's be honest, it's a game of chance.
That is what all of the pros are hoping you'll think. This is why the bad players keep playing because they believe the same as you do.

Play for awhile and you might get to a point where you'll think differently... or maybe not.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It is gambling, nothing to explain
It is gambling, but it's not a game of chance.

OP, I think the easiest way to put it is, Poker it's a game of skill and technique, and other games such as blackjack are games enterily based on luck.
Try explaining to old folks that today Poker IS considered as a game of technique, not luck. Judges around the world made that statement allowing Poker in their countrys. Maybe they will never listen to you anyway, and in that case, the only thing that will change their minds is your results. So in other words, if they don't listen to your arguments, just improve in your game and bring the results home. That will change their minds, I garantee.

Good luck in your journey!

and most importantly dedicated yourself to poker if your serious about it.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, I don't even waste time explaining to anyone about poker, it's my game, my passion and I'm an old person to take charge of my actions... greetings

vitas_top

vitas_top

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is concurred with themes, like scazal, which poker-is azartnaya game. This is righteousness!

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling