How do you explain to your family and friends that poker isn't gambling?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Well then if you play freerolls., then it isn't gambling. And if you play with your winnings it is not gambling either because you did not put any money in in the first place !!! What do you think?
You can still gamble in freerolls.
If playing with your winnings is not gambling then what it is then :unsure:

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I explain to my family that the online poker game is manipulated so that the owners always make a profit and that the winning players are chosen
Don't they ask you then in return why you even bother to still keep playing?

A

Aces74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is gambling the minute you play until you leave.

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It explains the math involved and lets you know that you're aware of the luck part. It shows that you understand the game and have control.

edenman1

edenman1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker does include things like skill, risk management, teaching you life is real lol But its gambling for sure...

Mart1194

Mart1194

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Constant positive results (which is not my case)

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
While poker involves elements of chance, it is a game of skill, strategy, and decision-making. The outcome of the game depends on a player's ability to read their opponents, manage their bankroll, and make sound decisions based on the information available to them.

To explain this to your family and friends, you could use the following points:

1. Poker involves skill: Unlike pure gambling games like roulette or slot machines, poker is a game that requires players to make decisions based on their knowledge, experience, and understanding of the game. Skilled players consistently win over time, indicating that skill is the primary factor in determining the outcome of the game.
  2. Poker is a game of strategy: In poker, players must make decisions based on incomplete information, using their knowledge of the game and their opponents to determine the best course of action. This requires strategic thinking and planning, and is not simply a matter of luck.
  3. Poker involves risk management: Players must manage their bankroll, make calculated bets, and weigh the potential rewards against the risks. This requires discipline, patience, and a deep understanding of the game.
  4. Poker is legal: Many jurisdictions around the world recognize poker as a game of skill and have legalized it. This indicates that poker is not simply a form of gambling, but a legitimate game that requires skill and strategy.
By explaining these points to your family and friends, you can help them understand that poker is not simply a game of chance, but a game that requires skill, strategy, and decision-making.
Good arguments but, family who are going to buy the above aren't going to be asking questions anyway. Also he already as much as told them he thought they were idiots by claiming poker wasn't gambling.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Professional poker player or Professional Gambler?

Its the same thing

Have complete honesty with others
no sugar coatings
it is gambling , but you can win

You can win Millions and millions like Faraz Jaka and Phil Galfond!!
And then you can lose everything even quicker like Faraz Jaka and Phil Galfond!!

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Oh, man.... it`s so hard! I think I gave up.

meagain00

dongato2

dongato2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sure it's gamble, but you're in control to a certain extent.
Also, to those who do not want to understand there is not much to explain

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Poker Gambling People Lose a Fortune

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Let's be honest, it's a game of chance.
Let's be honest, most of the responses in this thread by 'poker forum members' obviously no very little about the game of poker. Explaining to your family (even if they've never played poker in their entire lives) would likely be an easier task than trying to get it through some of the members on here.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I've asked this of other poker players and some have told me not to waste time explaining why strategies win in poker and it's not just dumb luck. Just don't tell me what I do for a living until I get good results.

What do the colleagues think?

Well unfortunately I think you're asking the wrong group of ahem.. cough cough 'players'. Look at the responses on this thread so far. It doesn't seem as if many (any) of them believe it to be a skill game that can be won over the long run (perhaps because none of them have done it (aside from freeroll cashes) or know that it is possible). There are still players online who are grinding out a living from this game... even some in the low stakes & micros.

I would tell the family you just 'play for fun'. Don't bother to tell them your goals & dreams. Just do it! But try to do find another source of income for back up.

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Let's be honest, most of the responses in this thread by 'poker forum members' obviously no very little about the game of poker. Explaining to your family (even if they've never played poker in their entire lives) would likely be an easier task then trying to get it through some of the dopey dicks on here.
You are the type of person which make other, lesser forums the shitpool they are. Please elevate your standard.

IRINA70

IRINA70

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I don't explain anything to anyone ... I just play my favourite game taking myself control of it.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
let the time prove them wrong :)...that is what i did and in time they end up supporting me :)

GDKavindu

GDKavindu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LK
Chips
My main point is how much skill and luck is involved in the game of poker. I don't think it's gambling and a lot of things can be controlled in poker.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would advise you to do a little research and inform yourself the reasons why poker is a mind game.

One reason is the need of mathematics, you may get some winnings out of luck at the felt a few times but what really represents your success rate in poker is a long term assessment of your wins and for that you neeeed to do a lot of math on the felt to increase your win rate.

Strategy is a good reason to show people why poker is a mind game, by evaluating villains play style, the board, equity, odds and many other variables you may strategize on the best outcome for you at the felt.

Bud... There's so much information out there for you to use on proving that poker as mind game.

But the best way to prove it is to do well at it.

So just keep studying, improve your game and enjoy it cause that's what really matters.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
just teach your mother to play poker too, then she will see that it's not just a game of chance, but probability and a little bit of luck, for me it worked to teach my mother to play.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best explanations are the results. If you succeed at poker, just share your experiences and let them know it's a perfect sport. It's not a game of chance.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure there is any easy way to prove or explain it to family and friends. Overall poker is a skill game not gambling. The problem become many people will gamble in the game over becoming skilled. Another problem is skill is based on long term actions. Yes you get unlucky vs a bad play and any time but 83% of the time your aces will win. Another problem proving it is it will take time. You can play 1000 tournaments and not show your a winning player even if you have the skill but at 100,000 games a skilled player will show a profit. Same for cash players. Loosing after 100K hands happens to the best of players but play enough you will be profitable if you're a skilled player.

Cant remember the pro who said it but if they play say 5 years, they will have 2 loosing years. The differance is they win 500K in the good years but will only lose say 100K in the bad ones.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's difficult to explain to someone that poker is not 100% gambling/luck if the person already believe that poker is gambling. My mom is the same as yours, so, I honestly don't even try anymore. But, I always say if poker was gambling, how the same players are always winning for years.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling