Hole Card Confessions Study Group with Owen Gaines to begin Jan 15th

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah but what time? since CC is worldwide.

This. Maybe we can find a time good for everyone, but chances are, we will have to find a soulution to the time zone.

Sadly, I have none.

LarkMarlow

LarkMarlow

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I figured I'd give this a quick bump. Is everyone (or at least most of us) okay with the Jan. 15th start date I proposed? I'm trying to give people enough time to recover from the holiday season and not so long that we lose momentum.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe holiday.

Works for me and same to you. :)

Works for me too but I've already read the book.

My copy just arrived and I hope to have read it before the discussion begins--I don't see a problem in doing that.

yeah but what time? since CC is worldwide.

I, for one, didn't envision us getting together at the same precise time; I was under the impression that we were to read a certain portion by a certain time and then would discuss that for a week, and so on. That's the only way I can participate.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well damnit lark that just makes too much sence, banned.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This. Maybe we can find a time good for everyone, but chances are, we will have to find a soulution to the time zone.

Sadly, I have none.

lmao, to where?? Come visit me, you will leave the hills of WV for EVER...

Works for me and same to you. :)

My copy just arrived and I hope to have read it before the discussion begins--I don't see a problem in doing that.

I, for one, didn't envision us getting together at the same precise time; I was under the impression that we were to read a certain portion by a certain time and then would discuss that for a week, and so on. That's the only way I can participate.

Dam, why didnt I think of that.....

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao, to where?? Come visit me, you will leave the hills of WV for EVER...
Never. Only 2 kind of West Virginians, those who never leave and those longing to return.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool. That's not too far from me actually (same panhandle anyway). When did you move away? Better question: Why? :)

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cool. That's not too far from me actually (same panhandle anyway). When did you move away? Better question: Why? :)

Wasnt my decision. My dad worked for Hercules Inc. (the chemical co.) and he was transferred to Houston. I was not even a year old, but it is in my birth certificate.

Houston was a goood toughening ground, but I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy...

well, ok, a few worst enemy's, maybe, but not on many.....:)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you didn't have quite enough time to get the dirt in your blood then. Couple more years and you'd be pining to come home to this day. :)

K

kevin schaefer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is room I would really like to join Thanks

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to give this a quick post holiday bump. I hope everyone had a great holiday season. We are now two weeks out from our projected Jan. 15th start date.

Hopefully we can spark some great discussion and lift our games to a higher level for 2012.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am currently in Poker math that matters, since in HCC, Owen states that it is essentially a Volume 2. So I am wondering if a structure is in place for the study group. i.e., do I need to have completed HCC by the 15th, or are we reading a chapter a week and discussing?

And hope all had a good holiday season.

And hope your clothes still fit..... I put on 10 lbs..

But, man was it a tasty process.....

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently in Poker math that matters, since in HCC, Owen states that it is essentially a Volume 2. So I am wondering if a structure is in place for the study group. i.e., do I need to have completed HCC by the 15th, or are we reading a chapter a week and discussing?

And hope all had a good holiday season.

And hope your clothes still fit..... I put on 10 lbs..

But, man was it a tasty process.....

My thought was that we would read a chapter or so per week and then discuss. I will post a summary of the material that we would discuss on Sunday (starting the 15th) and we would go from there.

I've been pretty busy with non poker stuff for the last 10 days or so (I work in retail when not crushing the micros :)) but now that I have some time I'm going to contact Owen again and get his feed back on anything specific about format or what not that would make it easier/more enjoyable for him.

I think the main thing that will be helpful will be for us to post any questions that we have and of course any relevant hand histories would be great. Also, I know that the esteemed West Virginian mid stakes baller has read the book already and I certainly hope that he will lend us his expertise as well.

One more note, I know that Owen mentioned that the first 34 pages were pretty basic for a poker forum crowd and could be done quickly but I would submit that this particular forum crowd has a lot of people who struggle to beat low micro stakes so, at least initially, I would say that we should look at it.

Last, and most important, please give feedback if you want to see something that you're not seeing, want a different pace, would like to hit me in the head with a stick for being dense, or whatever. Owen is going to participate, which is a huge bonus but ultimately we will get out of this what we, the rank and file, put into it. So lets make sure we get the book, look at the material, think of questions and lets make this worth our time and his.

GL

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the idea of a specific chapter/concept at a time as in past experience learning multiple things and trying to apply them at the poker table just ends up making us play worse and not learn the actual concept solidly.

I think the first 22 pages or so could easily be read by everyone taking part prior to starting, there's good stuff for us all to read so we shouldnt skip it but perhaps if everyone just read it because it's stuff that's gonna be easy to learn on our own which we probably dont need to be in a group to appreciate.

The book then goes on to talk about player types which could be good for some people - i guess it's up to everyone to say where they would like to start, im happy to go over any parts of the book in the sessions fwiw :)

If people havent seen the book yet, page 34 is where the real stuff on ranges begins (So everyone taking part would hopefully know about stuff like this before the sessions as they are explained in Owens first book in some detail and the second book expects us to have some idea of ranges, and if people didn't know the basics of ranges, they might be a bit lost)

So i guess where to start depends on the level of the people taking part, which i dont know - so it's up to you alaska :D

I dont know who's taking part but if you're really new to poker and dont know what a range is, you should familiarise yourself with the idea.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ok. I'm on page 36 now ;)
Just about to getting into the next chapter (Range) which I'm assuming will be the first chapter for discussion?

Dactal13

Dactal13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i love to read and love anything having to do with poker. So im in, just one ? tho. where can i get this book?

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just a quick update. I exchanged a few messages with Owen yesterday. Just to confirm, he likes the idea of a thread where we post questions, hands etc. as we have planned. He did a webinar for the Poker math book but doesn't want to do that again. So format wise we are on the right track.

He again emphasized how the first 35 pages are pretty basic and that also seems to be the consensus here so we can certainly kick things off where it gets interesting on page 36. I will include a brief summary of 1-35 for completeness sake. Also, he is fine with our projected start date.

So, it looks like our format is fine and as far as I can tell the start date is fine with everyone so I will give this another bump in a few days and right before we start I will try to message everyone to remind them. Also, once the study group thread is up I'll link to it here for any stragglers.

GL

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Changed the name of this thread.

P

PotluckXXI

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still waiting on my book to come in the mail :( should get it today or by thursday at the latest. Was thinking about reading at least half by 15th and taking specific notes on chapters on things I don't understand or just have a question on.