Hole Card Confessions Study Group with Owen Gaines to begin Jan 15th

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe a super thread with individual threads under it for each Chapter or study session. So something like:
Learning Poker ---> Hole Card Study Group ----> Chapters 1-3
----> Chapter 4
etc.

You can't put threads in threads - and if you are suggesting a sub-forum for a thread that won't work. Forums and sub-forums are permanent not temporary.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think if there will be multiple thread (not a bad idea imo) then we (I?) will also create a master locked sticky with links to each weeks discussion thread. So while the entire discussion will take place across multiple threads it will be rather easy to find the part you're looking for at a later date.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if there will be multiple thread (not a bad idea imo) then we (I?) will also create a master locked sticky with links to each weeks discussion thread. So while the entire discussion will take place across multiple threads it will be rather easy to find the part you're looking for at a later date.

Good idea!

Q

QTipDTB

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The separate thread per section is how I envisioned it as well. I think the 15th was the start date for it.

It might be cool to just put up a thread for Pages 1-34 that way I can handle whatever questions from beginners. Then we can start right in with page 35 on the 15th (or w/e date it was).

How about a layout like this:

Two threads started each week for three weeks The threads can be posted in perpetually, but I think this format might avoid anything getting stale. Just a thought...I'm certainly open to other ideas. Honestly, if there are loads of questions, I'm going to question the quality of the book :p

Week 1: Range and Eagle Eyes

Week 2: Enter Steal equity and Exploiting a Range

Week 3: Advanced Concepts and A Field Trip (I doubt we need a thread for the What Now section)

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The separate thread per section is how I envisioned it as well. I think the 15th was the start date for it.

It might be cool to just put up a thread for Pages 1-34 that way I can handle whatever questions from beginners. Then we can start right in with page 35 on the 15th (or w/e date it was).

How about a layout like this:

Two threads started each week for three weeks The threads can be posted in perpetually, but I think this format might avoid anything getting stale. Just a thought...I'm certainly open to other ideas. Honestly, if there are loads of questions, I'm going to question the quality of the book :p

Week 1: Range and Eagle Eyes

Week 2: Enter Steal Equity and Exploiting a Range

Week 3: Advanced Concepts and A Field Trip (I doubt we need a thread for the What Now section)

I like the schedule. Keeps it moving and shouldn't allow time for interest to slip. I think the 1st 35 pages thread can kind of run in parallel to the 1st week's sections. Really shouldn't be too many questions out of that part.

I do think these threads should be more than just questions. I'd like to see people pulling out hand examples to illustrate what they've read and discussion on those examples as well.

Thanks again for participating Owen. Really liking Poker Perspectives too. Kind of reminds me of Elements a bit. Really liked the poker to other games comparisons although it did get me thinking about playing some high stakes Monopoly!.

taaron

taaron

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes i like the idea as well! Just got the book, so we are tentatively starting this up on the 15th?

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes i like the idea as well! Just got the book, so we are tentatively starting this up on the 15th?

Not only tentatively..... We start the 15th.

And this Christmas, I noticed that Monopoly has gone so wild. You have a Monopoly for just about every major city in the world...... And even for city sections (would not be surprised to see a Hollywood, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and so on, I am guessing they exist, since we not only have a Munich but a Schwabing) So I will be the "Schwabing" contender......

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the schedule. Keeps it moving and shouldn't allow time for interest to slip. I think the 1st 35 pages thread can kind of run in parallel to the 1st week's sections. Really shouldn't be too many questions out of that part.

I do think these threads should be more than just questions. I'd like to see people pulling out hand examples to illustrate what they've read and discussion on those examples as well.

Thanks again for participating Owen. Really liking Poker Perspectives too. Kind of reminds me of Elements a bit. Really liked the poker to other games comparisons although it did get me thinking about playing some high stakes Monopoly!.

This sounds great. Things will move and wrap up in a reasonable time.

WVH, I would like to message you drafts of the summaries I am going to write so I can get some feedback, smack upside the head whatever before we go live.

BTW Monopoly for money FTW. :) http://www.thepennyhoarder.com/2011/07/make-money-playing-in-monopoly-tournaments

Last edited:
WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's fine. Although if Owen has the time / desire to review them that would be even better.

Q

QTipDTB

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not only tentatively..... We start the 15th.

And this Christmas, I noticed that Monopoly has gone so wild. You have a Monopoly for just about every major city in the world...... And even for city sections (would not be surprised to see a Hollywood, Manhattan, Brooklyn, and so on, I am guessing they exist, since we not only have a Munich but a Schwabing) So I will be the "Schwabing" contender......

My wife bought the one for Christmas with the credit cards instead of money. Monopoly Revolution I think it's called. We've played it a few times. I'm still not sure what to think about it.

Q

QTipDTB

DTB Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really liking Poker Perspectives too. Kind of reminds me of Elements a bit. Really liked the poker to other games comparisons although it did get me thinking about playing some high stakes Monopoly!.

Glad to hear that. I actually wrote that article back in like 2005. It sparked a series of online Monopoly games among the regular posters in the limit forum back then :)

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This sure sounds like a great idea and I'd like to participate. I'll need to get the book first, but looking forward to joining in the discussion.

Not yet read any of Owen's books, but I am looking forward to getting involved on the 15th. I am assuming that there is no "set time" for the discussion to begin...if there is, I missed the time.

Thanks to Owen and those involved in setting this up, Wally

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, we start Sunday. I wanted to give everyone a quick heads up. I discussed the format further with Owen and with WVH and here's what to look for in the intro posts of the thread.

Originally I was going to do pretty detailed outlines of the chapters. Owen feels this isn't really necessary so what you will see is a more general introduction to what the thread is about and then a brief summary of what will be covered and what pages of the book it can be found on.

We will be doing two chapters per week plus the first 34 pages intro.

I will try to PM you guys to remind you so we get a strong turnout at the start.

Any questions, comments, relevant hand histories. Lets really make the most of this opportunity to pick Owen's brain.

GL

Bill

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first weeks threads are posted in the Cash Games sub forum. Also, as suggested by Owen, there is a thread for the first 34 pages. This weeks chapters are "Range" and "Eagle Eyes".

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...-confessions-study-group-introduction-205261/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-range-205262/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-eagle-205263/

Also, I tried to PM everyone in this thread who expressed interest in participating. As you know Owen Gaines, the author of Hole Cards Confessions will be joining us in the threads as time permits to answer questions. Lets have lots of participation and make Owen feel welcome.

Bill

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And we are on to week 2. I apologize for being inactive myself but real life kind of piled on last week. Nonetheless, WVH, Acky and a few others posted some really interesting hands in last weeks threads.

Hopefully traffic will pick up this week. Here are the week 2 threads.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-enter-205649/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-exploiting-205650/

If you missed last weeks threads (which are still open) our fearless leader has created a sticky so you don't have to search for them. Thanks WVH.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-card-confessions-book-discussion-threads-205283/

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, we have reached the third and final week of the Hole Cards Confessions study group. Of course the threads will remain open so people can still post in them but this is the last week of new threads.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-advanced-206075/

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-cards-confessions-study-group-field-206076/

The previous threads are listed here: https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cash-games-11/hole-card-confessions-book-discussion-threads-205283/

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am gonna have to review since I have been renovating a house and an apartment.....;.( Almost done, but only got a chance to read some threads here, but not actively participate.

Thanks again to Owen for taking part, I will certainly get a lot of good out of it in the next week or 2.