Higher stakes poker easier?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea dude, I hear you. I'd just ignore all the haters, you clearly are on the right track. If you have a W$WSF of 10-20% and W$SD of 75% that is really solid. It basically just means that you soul read everybody you play against (most players can't win more than 50% at showdown because they don't soul read players like you do). Just ignore everybody that says you need a more balanced W$WSF and W$SD - there is no need to win pots where you don't have the nuts or near nuts. Even if they might be bluffing, you need at least three of a kind or a straight to call down the 75/50 nits at 1c/2c in order for it to be profitable.

Also what you said in the OP is absolutely correct. I can't stand it when i have AA and some fishcake calls a 3B with 86o and then shoves a 59K flop and hits his gutshot. There is just no way at all to combat that sort of play. It's much easier to play vs good players, since they make mistakes much more rarely. If a fish 3Bs say 50%, I have no way of knowing whether or not he has 96o or 23o or maybe even something strong like A7o - just so hard to play against fish like this that just play really awful poker but always win the pots.

Btw, since you are clearly a quality player that knows what he is doing, I'd just give the high stakes games a go even if you aren't rolled for them. If you were feeling really up for it, you might even try 5c/10c if you could play high stakes like that without being scared of losing that much money in a hand. If you go broke it's almost certainly bad luck and you can just redeposit (if you don't have money to redeposit you could sell house, prostitute yourself, etc. if it came to that). The most important thing is to trust your instincts and to ignore the "advice" of people who are just trying to sidetrack you.

I love how you just randomly pop in and say exactly what everyone else is thinking. :D

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was away for a couple of days. What's all the fuss about? Just kidding. To clear up some misconceptions: I never said anything against Buddha (Did I comment right after his post or something so some thought it was directed at him? Not sure, but his advice has helped me in the past .. wouldn't diss him directly normally). Also, sarcasm (yes I do it myself) is NOT a good post ever. It is classic passive-aggressive behavior, lacking both insight and wisdom. Unlike my post, which was aggressive-aggressive so to speak. Obviously, I know my cash game sucks. You can tell this because I said my cash game sucked. So anyone who thought that I was not looking for advice is ... welll ... dumb? Maybe they just had an off day, let's give them the benefit of the doubt. I applied some of the advice from this post to ring games Thursday, just before my post. I lost and lost and lost. I got bad beat , regular beat - you name it, my straights were beaten by Full Houses, etc., etc. I don't know how you guys that make money at cash games beat the luck factor let alone the rake, blinds. There is no strategy that can beat a never-fold sucking out. None. They have to fail to suck out. The way I play (lousy it seems), I can't win enough to overcome the big pot losses that come from getting bad beat. Everyone keeps saying that if you make good decisions, eventually you will come out ahead. Since you can't get people to fold on a regular basis at the games I play, even though they are a long shot % to win the hand, to me , a good decision is when I recognize that I am the favorite and play accordingly. This is what I do - my reads are good (not Thursday though), but I still lose big pots and win small ones. I do not win enough small pots to offset the big losses. So I was pissed Thursday (not at anyone in particular). No offense, but if you Bozos can win at Poker, then I can too ... ;). But so far, I have to look up to all of you ... that really sucks! Thank you for your help; I am not an ingrate - I appreciate it.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Players throw money around 3\4 bet with nothing at all stakes.And get lucky at all stakes as well.poker stars $200.00 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 859898
The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

BTN/SB: $221.05
Hero (BB): $373.85

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is BB with Q :club: Q :diamond:
BTN/SB raises to $6, Hero raises to $22, BTN/SB raises to $221.05, Hero calls $199.05

Flop: ($442.10) 6 :diamond: 7 :spade: J :club: (2 players)

Turn: ($442.10) 5 :heart: (2 players)

River: ($442.10) 7 :diamond: (2 players)

Final Pot: $442.10
BTN/SB shows 5 :spade: 5 :club:
Hero shows Q :club: Q :diamond:
BTN/SB wins $441.60
(Rake: $0.50)

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea dude, I hear you. I'd just ignore all the haters, you clearly are on the right track. If you have a W$WSF of 10-20% and W$SD of 75% that is really solid. It basically just means that you soul read everybody you play against (most players can't win more than 50% at showdown because they don't soul read players like you do). Just ignore everybody that says you need a more balanced W$WSF and W$SD - there is no need to win pots where you don't have the nuts or near nuts. Even if they might be bluffing, you need at least three of a kind or a straight to call down the 75/50 nits at 1c/2c in order for it to be profitable.

Also what you said in the OP is absolutely correct. I can't stand it when i have AA and some fishcake calls a 3B with 86o and then shoves a 59K flop and hits his gutshot. There is just no way at all to combat that sort of play. It's much easier to play vs good players, since they make mistakes much more rarely. If a fish 3Bs say 50%, I have no way of knowing whether or not he has 96o or 23o or maybe even something strong like A7o - just so hard to play against fish like this that just play really awful poker but always win the pots.

Btw, since you are clearly a quality player that knows what he is doing, I'd just give the high stakes games a go even if you aren't rolled for them. If you were feeling really up for it, you might even try 5c/10c if you could play high stakes like that without being scared of losing that much money in a hand. If you go broke it's almost certainly bad luck and you can just redeposit (if you don't have money to redeposit you could sell house, prostitute yourself, etc. if it came to that). The most important thing is to trust your instincts and to ignore the "advice" of people who are just trying to sidetrack you.

+10 to this.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holy Crap! That would have driven me nuts! I mean .. . you know ... more nuts.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holy Crap! That would have driven me nuts! I mean .. . you know ... more nuts.

Players throw money around 3\4 bet with nothing at all stakes.And get lucky at all stakes as well.Poker Stars $200.00 No Limit Hold'em - 2 players - View hand 859898

BTN/SB: $221.05
Hero (BB): $373.85

Pre Flop: ($3.00) Hero is BB with Q Q
BTN/SB raises to $6, Hero raises to $22, BTN/SB raises to $221.05, Hero calls $199.05

Flop: ($442.10) 6 7 J (2 players)

Turn: ($442.10) 5 (2 players)

River: ($442.10) 7 (2 players)

Final Pot: $442.10
BTN/SB shows 5 5
Hero shows Q Q
BTN/SB wins $441.60
(Rake: $0.50)

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meh, Belgo built his bankroll from freerolls, WV said he deposited $50 once and that's it, same with me, although I also accumulated $230 without depositing on another site via freerolls.

We've all started from there and built bankrolls to get us rolled for $50nl or $100nl so when people insist that it's impossible to win a micro-micro levels and then continue to complain, especially without spending time in the hand analysis section, that's when we give up and the sarcasm starts to flow.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Didn't say it was impossible. Was looking for advice and also thanking those who gave it; are you even reading the posts?

Meh, Belgo built his bankroll from freerolls, WV said he deposited $50 once and that's it, same with me, although I also accumulated $230 without depositing on another site via freerolls.

We've all started from there and built bankrolls to get us rolled for $50nl or $100nl so when people insist that it's impossible to win a micro-micro levels and then continue to complain, especially without spending time in the hand analysis section, that's when we give up and the sarcasm starts to flow.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And before some one says it no i was not rolled for this game under brm guide lines.Just another example of it doesn't matter what stakes you play players will throw there money around on semi bluffs an what not.They do not always get lucky o this is how we make money.

full tilt poker $3000.00 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players - View hand 860024

Hero (SB): $2970.00
BB: $6194.00
BTN: $5895.00

Pre Flop: ($45.00) Hero is SB with 3 :spade: A :diamond:
BTN raises to $105, Hero calls $90, 1 fold

Flop: ($240.00) 7 :spade: 3 :diamond: 3 :heart: (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $150.00, Hero raises to $450, BTN calls $300

Turn: ($1140.00) 2 :club: (2 players)
Hero bets $570.00, BTN raises to $5340, Hero calls $1845 all in

River: ($5970.00) 9 :spade: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $5970.00
Hero shows 3 :spade: A :diamond:
BTN shows A :spade: 5 :spade:
Hero wins $5969.00
(Rake: $1.00)

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could count on one hand the number of times I had my opponent crushed and held on to win when they put all their money in ... should happen alot right? It doesn't .. tryin to figure out why.

And before some one says it no i was not rolled for this game under brm guide lines.Just another example of it doesn't matter what stakes you play players will throw there money around on semi bluffs an what not.They do not always get lucky o this is how we make money.

Full Tilt Poker $3000.00 No Limit Hold'em - 3 players - View hand 860024

Hero (SB): $2970.00
BB: $6194.00
BTN: $5895.00

Pre Flop: ($45.00) Hero is SB with 3 A
BTN raises to $105, Hero calls $90, 1 fold

Flop: ($240.00) 7 3 3 (2 players)
Hero checks, BTN bets $150.00, Hero raises to $450, BTN calls $300

Turn: ($1140.00) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets $570.00, BTN raises to $5340, Hero calls $1845 all in

River: ($5970.00) 9 (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: $5970.00
Hero shows 3 A
BTN shows A 5
Hero wins $5969.00
(Rake: $1.00)

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you going off of memory?If so it's a tricky thing we remember when we got 2\3 outed in a big pot.Not so much when a player shoves with 89 off an we call with aces because were supposed to win right.Do you have HEM or Poker Tracker 3?If so go back an look how many time aces and kings held up an how much money you've made with them an so on.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No poker tracker, but I'm working on it. I'm telling you it rarely happens though. It is not my perception. I cannot keep up with the combo of: 1. bad beats 2. stat beats (my own term) 3. rake 4. blinds vs. my style of play (I do not suck out - could be days without a single suck out, I assume because I'm getting in good) . My playing style is not good for ring games, but based on what I have read here, I should be seeing better results, so just trying to figure it out.

JOEBOB69

JOEBOB69

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can get a free 60 day trail with Poker Tracker 3,and a 16 day trail with HEM i think.I would suggest at least trying one of these.Then studying the sessions afterwards.Not just the biggest pots most of them are cooler situations anyway big draw vs a made hand etc.You can learn big leaks in your game such as calling to much oop,not raising enough on the button and cutoff etc.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think it is easier to play in high stakes poker because you need to gain experience and have a big enough bankroll to take the bad beats even if you are a good or great player.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but if you Bozos can win at Poker, then I can too ... ;)..
This made me lol.
It sounds as if everyone has given you the advise but you are insistent that it will be easier higher up.
Why don't you try to satty into a bigger tournament and see how it goes, I am sure you will change your mind.

TheOne2Watch

TheOne2Watch

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they are easier because the players are not as tight with their money as a low stakes player would be.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could count on one hand the number of times I had my opponent crushed and held on to win when they put all their money in ... should happen alot right? It doesn't .. tryin to figure out why.

You've either played 1000 hands lifetime or you are exactly the reason that other people win at poker (either way the latter is true) - a player who is no good but is unwilling to admit it and would rather blame it on "luck". And yea, I'm sure you'll whine again about this post just like you do to everything that doesn't agree with your idiotic point of view but whatever. You have 2 options - you can keep complaining about how unlucky you are, even though there is about 0.1% chance you run worse than anybody else, or you can realise that you just aren't very good at poker and you can try to improve.

Truth hurts, but if you can't beat passive calling stations, which are without a doubt the easiest players to destroy in poker, you are just going to lose money 10x as fast to even terrible TAGish players. Any remotely competent poker player would absolutely destroy the micros because the players have zero clue what they are doing.

So get of your high horse, you aren't unlucky, you just play bad and you can either work to improve your game or you can keep losing (i honestly would prefer the latter, but whatever).

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since starting this thread, I have referred to myself regarding cash games as lousy; I've said I suck. My history is I have been playing for 3 and 1/2 years. For the first year I did not play cash games. For the next 22 months after playing cash games I broke even, then I had 2 months where I lost $400 and stopped playing cash games for 6 months. I have not funded my accounts since, but play micros with money that I win from free rolls. I have broke even for these 6 months again. So I can't win in ring games which is why I am posting. Geez, you seem to hear what you wanna hear! The passive calling stations do suck out more than I can win back. There's gotta be a reason; I figure it's my style of play somehow (which I have said many times in this thread), and asked for help - my entire purpose for starting the thread. You still get -10 for being sarcastic, and in your wildest dreams you couldn't be as honest about your game as I have been about mine here at CC. Right now you're chomping at the bit to use this post as a way to tell me how much better you are than I am - how does that help me?
You've either played 1000 hands lifetime or you are exactly the reason that other people win at poker (either way the latter is true) - a player who is no good but is unwilling to admit it and would rather blame it on "luck". And yea, I'm sure you'll whine again about this post just like you do to everything that doesn't agree with your idiotic point of view but whatever. You have 2 options - you can keep complaining about how unlucky you are, even though there is about 0.1% chance you run worse than anybody else, or you can realise that you just aren't very good at poker and you can try to improve.

Truth hurts, but if you can't beat passive calling stations, which are without a doubt the easiest players to destroy in poker, you are just going to lose money 10x as fast to even terrible TAGish players. Any remotely competent poker player would absolutely destroy the micros because the players have zero clue what they are doing.

So get of your high horse, you aren't unlucky, you just play bad and you can either work to improve your game or you can keep losing (i honestly would prefer the latter, but whatever).

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then why don't you actually post hands or something rather than generic "oh i can't beat the microstakes they suck out too much"? The only reason i posted was because you were being a condescending douche (although you have reigned it in a bit) to people who were actually trying to help you when you have absolutely no foundation from which to be condescending (i.e. something to show from poker).

And you are very wrong - i constantly evaluate my play and am well aware that I make a number of mistakes I shouldn't. I look at the fact taht I make mistakes as a positive thing because it means there is room for improvement and room to increase my winrate. One of the advantages of having a better understanding of poker is that you can pick up on mistakes that you (and others) make alot easier, rather than just brushing them off as "oh i must run bad" because you don't understand enough to figure out the fundamental mistakes you are making. And if i needed commendation from players on poker forums about my game i would have put a bullet through my head a long time ago.

Last edited:
M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seriously, listen to feitir. He is teh shits at teh pokahs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
NC, you may have noticed that your last shitty comment was deleted THREE TIMES. Don't make it four.

NCfoldem

NCfoldem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are obviously on a power trip. I predict that you will ban me to stroke your own ego.
NC, you may have noticed that your last shitty comment was deleted THREE TIMES. Don't make it four.