Is getting sleep a factor before a serious game?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Of course, when you have had a good night's sleep and are ready to play, this is the best thing you need for poker sessions, it's necessary because if you don't get enough sleep you'll want to finish playing poker sessions faster and go to bed or do the wrong thing playing faster, so sleep is very important for you to play poker well

emgesi

emgesi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It's nice to rule out any emotions before some big event, for example, like an upcoming tournament. It is possible that it will negatively affect the result. If you do not constantly think about an upcoming event and it should not affect the mental setting such as sleep and daily routine 🙂🙂🙂

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
100% for me when playing MTT's because I prefer playing the longer blind level MTT's over the bingo games like turbos and hyper-turbos. So when I sit to play an MTT I plan on 8+ hours min. I also play higher stakes when I play MTT's. They require one to be at their best and sharp.

Cash not so much but then I've always been a guy that needs very little sleep and can function decently even after being up 24+ hours. Also with cash I can just get up and leave when I feel I've had enough and start to struggle because I'm over tired. I also rarely grind cash for hours and hours so.

For majority of poker players I'd advise them to get their sleep don't be like me. Very few people can function without a good nights sleep every night.

Cheers!!!

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Clear. Not only is sleep important, it is also essential to be rested. We can have a great night's sleep but if you have a tiring day and enter a tournament at night, your performance will suffer too.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, of course, as in everything, if you are tired you are not going to do what you are going to do while rested, especially in an important match, nor should you have played before so that you can better get to play in a big event. If you sleep you will have greater concentration as well as make better decisions and you will be patient because you have just come from sleeping.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
What's there to elaborate? How can you expect to perform well without sleep? Lack of sleep results in lack of concentration which affects your performance on the table

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think being rested is an important factor, it doesn't do much good for you to sleep but waking up tired or unwell and going to play I don't think it's a good idea and you don't play with the same enthusiasm

J

Jedrey

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Being at rest and with a healthy mind is very important, tiredness is not only physical but also mental.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
100% for me when playing MTT's because I prefer playing the longer blind level MTT's over the bingo games like turbos and hyper-turbos. So when I sit to play an MTT I plan on 8+ hours min. I also play higher stakes when I play MTT's. They require one to be at their best and sharp.

Cash not so much but then I've always been a guy that needs very little sleep and can function decently even after being up 24+ hours. Also with cash I can just get up and leave when I feel I've had enough and start to struggle because I'm over tired. I also rarely grind cash for hours and hours so.

For majority of poker players I'd advise them to get their sleep don't be like me. Very few people can function without a good nights sleep every night.

Cheers!!!
It sounds like you've found a playing style that suits you well, especially when it comes to Multi-Table Tournaments (MTTs). Your preference for longer blind levels and the mental endurance required for extended play aligns with your strengths. Additionally, your ability to manage fatigue effectively in cash games and adapt your strategy based on your own well-being is a valuable skill.

Your advice about the importance of sleep is crucial. While your unique ability to function on little sleep works for you, it's not a one-size-fits-all approach. Most players indeed benefit from being well-rested to maintain focus and make better decisions at the tables.

Cheers to finding a balance that works for you and sharing valuable insights! What stakes do you typically play in MTTs, and do you have any specific strategies you find effective in the longer blind level tournaments?

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Undoubtedly, doing some important thing or playing poker is better rested, so you will be more concentrated and attentive, and perhaps the best way to rest is to get a good night's sleep.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
To play your best, You have to be at your best, and that includes your Physical state, I suppose that is why I don't play half as much as I used to, Getting Old really Sucks! I wake up every morning with a Hangover, and don't even drink.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
My personal experience is that you can't concentrate when you're tired, which is what you need for poker. But then I don't feel like sitting down to play anyway.
You can't make the right decisions when you're tired and unfocused anyway, and fatigue is accompanied by impatience, the two together are sure to lead to failure.

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sleep deprivation is like being drunk based on research which I am bored to find right now to post it here.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Please elaborate..
For me, definitely yes. I just need a good, healthy sleep before an important game. Even if I didn't sleep well or didn't sleep, I'm not ready to start the game, I just postpone it for another day.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Most people suffer from sleep deprivation, but poker players can sometimes have a particularly hard time getting that much-needed 7-9 hours of sleep.The main tip here is to plan your relaxation routine and turn off all electronics an hour before bed. Don't go to bed immediately after closing your browser, and don't take gadgets to bed with you. If you use your phone as a watch, it is better to get a regular alarm clock.Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. Easier said than done, especially if you play MTT, but still try to create a more or less stable daily routine.

hardongear

hardongear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
It sounds like you've found a playing style that suits you well, especially when it comes to Multi-Table Tournaments (MTTs). Your preference for longer blind levels and the mental endurance required for extended play aligns with your strengths. Additionally, your ability to manage fatigue effectively in cash games and adapt your strategy based on your own well-being is a valuable skill.

Your advice about the importance of sleep is crucial. While your unique ability to function on little sleep works for you, it's not a one-size-fits-all approach. Most players indeed benefit from being well-rested to maintain focus and make better decisions at the tables.

Cheers to finding a balance that works for you and sharing valuable insights! What stakes do you typically play in MTTs, and do you have any specific strategies you find effective in the longer blind level tournaments?

For MTT's I play and have played everything from micro's to the Sunday Million a number of times. Pretty much whatever fits into my schedule when I get the time to play. I also try to typically play a lot of events in the bigger series on pokerstars that come around once a year. For example right now PS has the Carnival Series going on.

Even though poker always been a hobby for me I always worked hard/put in a lot of thought over the years on my game, style and how to go about things to find the games, style that works for me and takes advantage of my strengths in life and at the table. In my opinion being a winning player at high stakes and micro stakes takes a lot of the same things to do. Higher stakes just takes more knowledge/info/talent and more study. But as far as mindset, bankroll management, mental toughness/tilt control and a few other things they're all the same when whether it's micro, low, mid or high stakes. You gotta be decently good at all them things to be a long term winner in poker regardless of stakes.

Happy to help new players or even struggling players best I can and offer insights. I'm by no means great at poker I haven't finished studying anything for books/courses in 15+ years and never taken coaching. My studying consists mainly of reviewing hands mine and villains to make sure I keep my game on track and no bad habits form over time. I've studied to improve my game in a long time now. There's just certain things I worked hard on for years and now do really well and those things are some of the keys to winning long term at poker for the stakes I play.

I play a simple TAG+exploits style that works against my player pool. I use a HUD. I also think my 20+ years experience and feel at the table go a long way towards being a winner so yes I also play by feel online(I don't just use the HUD stats and click buttons). I do no GTO or solver work here. Never even downloaded, looked up or searched for them . Micro players don't need to spend a single dime on books, courses, GTO or coaching to be winners. Learn a simple TAG style. Build in the exploits later as one gains experience, learns the player pool and does hand reviews. Most times if you pay close enough attention during studying/hand reviews it's easy to find a couple exploits. This likely comes with experience as well as you use the HUD more and the more hands you look at over time.

Fwiw I'm sure some of this stuff and thinking has come easier for me then it will for the avg micro/low stakes players because as a business manager/boss I've always had a deeper thinking mind and been able to think outside the box when required to solve problems in business. This has served me well in poker.

^With all that said I also think there's more then one way to skin a cat and also more then one way to go about being a winning player at poker depending on the stakes one plays and ones end goal. Anyone looking to be a pro should take a lot of what I say with a grain of salt some of it may not be useful if the goal is to make a living playing poker. Making a living never was my goal so I didn't think or build my game with that goal in mind or I'd done things differently and likely a lot differently I'm sure.

Sorry for the novel I could talk poker forever it seems lol. Hope those that read all that found some worth to it and that it makes sense as I'm not the best writer.

Cheers!!!

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Please elaborate..
Hi
Sleep is definitely a very important factor that affects absolutely everything. Sleep affects your physical and psychological state. Poor sleep is an essential prerequisite for poor results.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I believe that sleep is always a determining factor. The difference is quite noticeable, in terms of the speed of reasoning, irritability, mood, and clarity when making decisions. Regardless of what I'm doing, getting good sleep is always an important part if I want to perform well.
A big thing for me is that when I don't get enough sleep, I become way less patient, and that's the last thing you want to happen during a long poker tournament.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think it's clear that sleep is important..... I don't even understand the question..... If you go to work, don't you sleep before it?....

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, you should be rested, fed, and hydrated.

Exercise will also help your performance.

Top 10 Games