Future of poker

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
What you think a future of poker could look like?
I think it would be cool if there be some virtual rooms with holograms of people, so everyone would have scanners of some sort so it would be really like a live poker.
Or maybe Artificial Intelligence (Advanced Bots) could kill the game?

J

jeffman123

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think poker has some good years left in it before the A.I overlords take over. Who knows, though?

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the owners of the poker rooms! It is necessary that all poker rooms have a complete ban on auxiliary programs.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, I am convinced that the popularity of poker and other online entertainment will only grow. It is possible that virtual rooms with holograms of players and so on will be created, but to be honest I don't care. All I care about is my skills and my results.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CYBERmen poker

I think it would be cool if there be some virtual rooms with holograms of people, so everyone would have scanners of some sort so it would be really like a live poker.

QWhen humans start to modify themselves and poker games on mars. Maybe the holograms then we can play against Aliens nice question.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During pandemic poker popularity is constantly growing and it will continue to grow: I think most of the people would prefer stay in online instead of hologram thing and etc.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
During pandemic poker popularity is constantly growing and it will continue to grow: I think most of the people would prefer stay in online instead of hologram thing and etc.
Duno about you but i start to miss people when sit too much at home :)
So i would enjoy the live events alot if we have much of them here in Russia.

L

louis627

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
once we're done with covid there will be lots on live tournaments and it will reduce the amount of online poker but will never kill it.

" Just my opinion"

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not chess where the computer is already playing. But in chess there are a lot of variations of moves, and so far a person can beat the computer. But in poker, combinations fall out according to mathematical laws and therefore it will be easier for artificial intelligence to play here. Therefore, there are programs with bots.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a person can beat the computer
You are wrong. Since like 1996 when Kasparov lost to Deep Blue machines are unstopable.

But in poker, combinations fall out according to mathematical laws and therefore it will be easier for artificial intelligence to play here. Therefore, there are programs with bots.

Well there are bots right. But they are using certain strategies. But if it would be AI then it would self learn and upgradethose strategies. Who knows maybe there are already AIs in poker.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it will be the same. Poker client software will updated every time so they will know if a bot is playing.

T

tonymin562

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Legalization of online poker in California hopefully.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are wrong. Since like 1996 when Kasparov lost to Deep Blue machines are unstopable.

I will correct you a little about Kasparov and the computer. In 1996 Kasparov won. Here is a table of results.

Participant 1 2 3 4 5 6 Total
Kasparov 0 1 ½ ½ 1 1 4
Deep Blue 1 0 ½ ½ 0 0 2
And already in 1997 a rematch was held. The computer won here.
Kasparov 1 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 2½
Deep Blue 0 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 3½

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will correct you a little about Kasparov and the computer. In 1996 Kasparov won. Here is a table of results.

Kasparov 0 1 ½ ½ 1 1 4
Deep Blue 1 0 ½ ½ 0 0 2
And already in 1997 a rematch was held. The computer won here.
Kasparov 1 0 ½ ½ ½ 0 2½
Deep Blue 0 1 ½ ½ ½ 1 3½
I actually know that. He lost next year a rematch i think. I just thought it wont hurt my point.
Anyway computers already have beaten chess long ago.
Would they beat poker thats the question.
By brutal force not calculation :)
There is no 'Beating poker' in game theory sense. Since its not combinatorial game.

tipejo767

tipejo767

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello

From a technological point of view I consider that it seems to me a very good idea that these types of games can be offered as holograms, that technology could be achieved, but only for some more developed countries, unfortunately for Latin countries it is unlikely because in our environment to the internet in very low. perhaps specific places could be created where these technologies can be implemented to play poker.

regards

P

Pibo1797

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yestarday i Saw a picture of a table with like a Windows to preventa the covid it looks a little weird

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Each player is a unique person who expects an individual approach to himself. Against the background of the decline of online poker, companies that want to maintain their place in the market will have to form an exceptional service — and therefore work much more.

Employees of poker companies also need additional motivation. Many of them have been working in the industry for a decade, and see what is happening to it now. Most of them also like poker, do not want to lose their jobs and income. Appealing to their emotions is not a bad idea.

There are prospects for the growth of the industry, but the resistance will be difficult to overcome. In America, you need to lobby for the interests of the industry, in Europe — to unify existing services, in Asia-to attract new users. If companies manage to at least partially realize this potential, they will stop losing revenue.

B

BatOneHat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The future is already he

Sorry, the downfall of poker is already here. With HUDS and other third party software the game is already gone. No since in playing online if you don’t want to spend or can’t afford the extra software. Destroys the game.

skalibur

skalibur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it would be nice

it would be really cool but it should be very expensive to create or to play it would have to have a powerful computer because these sites with updates sometimes they update once or twice a month imagine with this type of technology it would be much more necessary to maintain

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess we'll just have to see what the future holds, but I suspect a lot of it will maintain the same. Many players enjoy the "human element" of poker; social interactions, physical feel of the chips, the psychology of reading another and so on - for this reason I do not believe the game will change much and I really doubt live poker with people will go away.

Perhaps holograms or such like VR may get better for a "video-game-like-experience", but I don't think this will replace live poker as we know it.

By the way, as a chess player myself, the 1996 Deep Blue vs Kasparov matchup was historically significant because it is the first time a computer has beaten a chess world champion under OTB classical time control and tournament conditions; however, Kasparov still won the 1996 series (as mentioned). It was the one game that Kasparov lost the media took a hold of and ran with.

Similar to chess, I don't think poker bots will replace live poker in any way. It will be just like how computers have not replaced live chess events. Chess computers are seen more as learning tools than as opponents and I suspect the same will be for poker (as we have already begun to see with HUDs and programs like Equilab).

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry, the downfall of poker is already here. With HUDS and other third party software the game is already gone. No since in playing online if you don’t want to spend or can’t afford the extra software. Destroys the game.
Well, there are rooms that not allow any HUD. And other third party software like flopzilla well not like it helps too much. I mean math in poker is prety basic anyway. And game is still more complicated then just knowing some ranges.
And poker rooms fight with bots. One key thing that could potentially solve this issue is web cameras. 888 kind of had some experience launching this stuff but it was not very popular but i sincerely believe that world was just not ready for this stuff. I think it would be cool.
And after all bots are not unbeatable. They are just like some calm calm humans with no emotions and very good memory thats it. But still i hope to see more and more ways to protect online poker from bots.
So i really beg to differ that poker downfall is already here.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are already computers that can beat professional players. They are developed at universities. It's just a matter of time before bots that can do this are widespread.
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/7406...s-the-professionals-at-6-player-texas-hold-em
Yeah i beter google stuff before starting threads next time. :eek:
Man that is sick. Still. This is not very widespread yet. And when it would, im sure poker rooms would come up with some creative ways to fight with them. Cause this is already a serious threat to online poker.
This fight would be epic :eek:

Last edited:
Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting question. I fear that artificial intelligence and bots will destroy online poker in the long run. I think it is in the nature of humans to look for solutions to difficult situations and problems - the simplest solution is a "programmed algorithm-based calculator" - it is then no longer necessary to read poker books or improve your own game. There are also automatic trading systems in the financial markets that often do better than the individual traders. In aviation, too, the autopilot is increasingly replacing people who make mistakes; autonomous cars are the next step in that direction. Humans are handing over more and more work and thought to the machines ... and therefore do not develop any further. Welcome to "the best world we've ever had"!

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Every year bots become more and more a problem when playing poker on the Internet, but I think that poker rooms will not give away their earnings so easily and will definitely come up with something to fight bots !!! As for virtual rooms with holograms of people, pokerstars has been moving in this direction for a long time, but now everything looks very primitive, I hope in the future everything will look much cooler !!!

https://www.pokerstars.com/poker/ps-vr/

Last edited: