The fun is gone

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if you are playing for pennies and freerolls I really don't think it matters as I think it is bad streaks when you are losing money that becomes really stressful and where you will hit the negative side effects of gambling and I have found that too. Chasing losses is really bad. Playing for fun is really important.

That being said even with freerolls you can spend a lot of time and it is important to make sure you have a balance in your life.

P

pjokay

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And the fun probably gone for this guy (Maiuchi) who dug up the post as he has joined the original poster LOL

LOL I just replied too thinking this was an ongoing thread not realizing the original poster last posted years ago and was banned as their was a flurry of new activity and as you pointed out so is the person who reopened it. See quite a number of accounts listed as banned.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
A break would be the best, it will stop the loss and take your mind away.

Plut41

Plut41

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
We all go through these bad spells, and they can last for weeks or months, and it is very stressful to play poker at that time.
The best thing is to stop playing poker, what I do is play only freerolls.
Exactly! Playing frerolls is stress free :) I wish they had some omaha frerolls on pokerstars.

S

seraxel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning a new game or format can be a good way out of a rut. It gets you focused on the process of understanding the game, and away from the results, by bringing back an "I'm new so it's ok to struggle" perspective. Then you can take that experience back to your regular game .

Zapahlohotrona

Zapahlohotrona

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I faced the same problem. Poker has ceased to bring pleasure, only anger and irritation. Now I play only freerolls, but even there I have 0 chances.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No worries mon..:D..we know every1 has there ups and downs but we still do it. Its only a game to me but whenever the fun stops, chill and take a break from whatever it is. Good luck and have fun doin it.

A

Alexandr_Gazarov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are no good or bad hands in poker. Your game depends directly on you, not on the card in your hand, even with 7-2 you can win A A

S

samuri

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not fun

Take a break and return to the fun

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
You have to have a little patience, we all go through this stage, you have to take into account that you don't always win and sometimes you are not lucky, it is only to analyze the errors and try to improve that the good times will return.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
We all go through these bad spells, and they can last for weeks or months, and it is very stressful to play poker at that time.
The best thing is to stop playing poker, what I do is play only freerolls.

As long as it is not affecting you mentally... just continue to play!
IF it causes TILT issues or to play less than optimally, then do not play.

The thing is, part of getting good at playing poker is to be able to tolerate badbeats, running bad, etc. etc. Have a 'bad spell' is a good opportunity for working on the mental part of your game!

I used to suck at it! I wouldn't tilt to the point of breaking my mouse or throwing things around or 'obviously' playing worse (or 'sub-optimal') but I would suffer from the thinking "I should've won!" Those feelings of entitlement. It is a sure recipe for disaster.
Nowadays while playing, once the chips go in, I'll check to see what villain is holding just to see if I've played the hand well, etc. etc. but a lot of the time I don't even bother to see how the cards run out.

B

BodyCount

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the routine hits me, I switch to Omaha for a week or two or just read poker theory.

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often lose interest and take long breaks from the game. But then my interest returns and then I binge on poker for a while until I lose interest in it yet again... and the cycle just repeats endlessly.

This works perfectly fine for a recreational, amateur player. However, if someone decides they want to "go professional" and try to earn a living at this game... well now that changes the equation entirely. Now you have to set a regular schedule and stick to those hours, just like a job... because you MUST have income/profit to survive and keep going. So you MUST play poker even when you might not be totally in the mood to play poker...

...and that's why I never want to play this game for money. I play poker because I love to play poker, and when I'm in one of those periods where I don't find joy in playing poker, I simply don't play. Pretty easy and simple. The only thing that screws up the joy is MONEY... it's biblical to me. 1 Timothy 6:10, "For the love of money is the root of all evil." I'm not evil, and I don't love money. I don't have much money but I don't mind being materially poor as long as I remain spiritually rich. :)

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, what an old topic. More than 7 years.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Play for fun and win at the same time and your fun will come back........you dont have to take poker lead your life.....

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stress destroys your energy structure in your body. You walk with negativity these days and this is walking in a circle, and a person develops in a spiral. Play for the money that you do not mind losing or play freerolls, which are now lacking in the top rooms. Pay attention to patterns and find your game. Good luck.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that taking a break is probably the best solution to overcoming the blahs you may have with regards to a bad run of poker. No sense beating yourself up over something that you have little or no control over.