Chips
Focus on your career for a while

chuG

chuG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've given myself a month off. Thinking of cutting it short but its definitely the best advice as most previous comments have stated.

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let your mistakes be a leaning process

I play a lot of poker every day and with the bad run I been having, playing has become real stressful, and the fun is gone that I once had. Like when I make mistakes or have a real bad beat, I carry all that around with me for days trying to figure out what happened. Could I have played it different and got away from the hand. That I don't like. So for awhile I will be playing for pennies, very low buy in tournys, and of course my forums freerolls, and other freerolls. I just want it to be fun again. Any advice. Should I just stop playing for a time?

Hey Papahe

The positive side of making mistakes is to let them be a learning process.

The greatest poker players on the Planet not only make mistakes at the tables, but make many of them. When they do, they go back to the drawing board and make corrections, in order to play a better game the next time.

Hang in there and good luck.

mike

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you lost passion for the game take a break from it completely, including freerolls, and rest for a while.
Last time when i was bored i took up a break for two months and came back when i was refreshed

crocoduck11

crocoduck11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody should play when stressed because,well, you could put yourself in a state where you make more mistakes which will stress you more long term and you cans see where this is going. I am a complete newbie so I could be wrong but I remember reading this somewhere

pokertroll

pokertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with taking a break-After Black Friday I reduced my online poker play by 70 percent.:toilet:

C

ChipsOwnerRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break, it will help you. Search something else to do to forget this bad days, try to do some different activities which will keep you busy and after 1, 2 weeks come back to poker and the fun and luck will be yours again. :)

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow didn't think I would get this much feedback on this post, but like I've told so many new people that joined after I did, this is a place to get anything you need in your poker life. And for many players it is a big part of their life. It is for me. And to tell the truth I am real glad I joined because of people like you all.

S

SnapCall5

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone is giving great advice. I often take a break from the game when I am getting frustrated or it feels like a grind. Personally, I play for recreation not as a job so after a break for a couple of weeks/month or so - I usually will read a book about poker (stories or strategy) or watch one of my favorite poker movies and that seems to instantly help me regain the enthusiasm and passion for the game. Then the cycle begins again. The love/hate relationship of poker just makes me appreciate the game even more. Good luck, PapaC. I know you will get your love for the game back in no time.

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May be take a break from poker, or play less for awhile. It happens sometimes, after a while the fun comes back. Its just temporary :)

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive suffered from the same thing on a couple of occasions. a couple of months after i sold my online action to play higher stakes, the volume drained my life and took the fun out of playing. it took me alittle while to figure out how to get it back. i was playing 90+ hrs a week and over 3k games a month. i had no life. i took a short break to focus on me. got out in the world and did some things that are fun: spend time with family and friends, go fishing, etc. what ever you had fun doing before poker when i came back i didnt jump right back into 20 tabling. i just played 1-2 tables and focused on my play. that was when i figure out why it wasnt fun anymore for me.

it wasnt fun because i wasnt playin my game. . i play poker because i have ADD/OCD and poker takes that all away while im playing. it takes away the stress of life because im able to hyper focus on my game and everything else goes away. when you get to playing volume you hit auto pilot and you can easily lose focus on your play. which inturn will cause you to start playing bad and blaming bad luck and running bad when its quite possibly the stress compounded by the losses.

im not sure that makes any sense to you so ill say this

my advice is to take a few days maybe a week or two break. do some fun shit. go to the lake or maybe amusment park what ever you find thats a dam blast. come back and play no more than 4 tables. what ever allows you to focus on every hand of every game. play sng for a week something small that doesnt trap you for hours at the computer. play for 2-3 hrs then get away from it. focus on playin the best poker you can and you will start winning and find it fun and exciting again

ok ill stop rambling. ive been chasing kids for 20 minutes trying to get them ready for bed and type this..huge fail on both parts lol

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I play a lot of poker every day and with the bad run I been having, playing has become real stressful, and the fun is gone that I once had. Like when I make mistakes or have a real bad beat, I carry all that around with me for days trying to figure out what happened. Could I have played it different and got away from the hand. That I don't like. So for awhile I will be playing for pennies, very low buy in tournys, and of course my forums freerolls, and other freerolls. I just want it to be fun again. Any advice. Should I just stop playing for a time?

I'm curious, has it become stressful because you are playing above proper BRM?

Is it costing you money that you cannot afford?

Last edited:
TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When it stops being "fun" stop playing. One needs to define "fun" before taking action, however.

I find the concept of "Sklansky bucks" helpful when getting sucked out on.

M

mishamishasochi88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually have a rest at the weekend, but these days you can play for an hour - two, but no more. Basically, I try to time off from poker to hold a woman or a group of friends, because if you honestly say, in my city, but rather in my environment poker is not so popular, so I like to take off from life, from time to time not ill to return to it

lois505

lois505

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In short, he is useful to you

I have Jared Tendler's Mental Game of Poker & I think it is a excellent book.
is very useful. In my opinion
good luck my mate !glglg...

M

MichaelFoerster

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is that, you got frustrated by your bad play and you are feeling more serious about your game. It is normal, when any one play same game for a long time then expectation gets higher. You have to take a break, try some other game for sometime.

BenSprocket

BenSprocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Read Blackrain

2. Play cash.

RESULT!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awhile back I didn't worry about the money because worked. But now I'm disabled and money is limited. So yes it is stressful to think I'm going to lose it all and then the fun would sure be gone. But since I posted this awhile back a lot has changed. I hardly play on the site I have money on. I just play two small tournys now and it is fun. And I am getting to the money about every time.

Peteyweestro

Peteyweestro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also recently stopped playing again because it felt like i was forcing things and anyways it was getting to be not so fun and being on a limited budget i can relate to the op. What i do is always the same when i start to feel this way and that is step away from it for a minute, i mean all aspects from forum browsing to freerolls or anything poker related, than in a couple of weeks i start to miss playing and i come back refreshed

ccocco

ccocco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I do the same thing happened .. and stop playing a while .. I think the best thing to rest my head .. and assimilate errors, maybe.

kavlana888

kavlana888

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow didn't think I would get this much feedback on this post, but like I've told so many new people that joined after I did, this is a place to get anything you need in your poker life. And for many players it is a big part of their life. It is for me. And to tell the truth I am real glad I joined because of people like you all.

wow thanks for sharing that was deep, i feel blessed to have by pure luck randomly stumbled into this welcoming community where hopefully I can learn to be great. Thumbs up

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow it's been awhile since I have looked through this tread. Sure didn't know it would go this far. But the reason for me posting is to let you all know that the bad run is over, and with the advice I've received here, my game has improved, and as a result, I'm back to having fun again. I had to go down a few levels, but you know what? I'm not in a hurry to go back up if it's going to cause me stress.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
unless you have to play, why not just take a break?

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks again. Have one thing to address. Peteyweestro I have stepped away from playing, and what I mean about that is that I've been doing other things most of the day and play one tourny a day and if I do ok then I may play two the next day. But there is one thing I could not do is stop being an active member of my forums. By being an active member they have help me through that month long bad run. And as a result I have become a better player. However, I'm not saying your advice is wrong, because it might take that for some others, just not me.