Are freerolls not part of gambling?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?
freerolls are a small experience and hope to replenish a little account.
this is beneficial for beginners or for fun time.
but still it's always the excitement and spirit of winning the desire to emerge victorious.
excitement is in all matters that people love[emoji106] [emoji23] [emoji110]

K

KLDUFF1987

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O wouldn't say so. But that's me, if your gambling it's putting your own money at risj.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?

If there was a poker room in which there would be only freerolls - that would be true. Dream poker room. :elefant:
But in fact freerolls are just part of the promotion. Promotion to attract new members or reward active members (for example, freerolls available for players with a certain rake status).

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I play poker for only 5 months, so I play only in freerolls. In my opinion, freerolls are a good opportunity to get a good experience for free.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gam·ble
ˈɡambəl/
verb
[COLOR=#878787 !important]gerund or present participle: gambling

play games of chance for money; bet.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"she was fond of gambling on cards and horses"[/COLOR]
    synonyms:bet, place/lay a bet on something, stake money on something, back the horses, game; informalplay the ponies
    "he started to gamble more often"
    take risky action in the hope of a desired result.
    [COLOR=#878787 !important]"the British could only gamble that something would turn up"[/COLOR]
    synonyms:take a chance, take a risk;informalstick one's neck out, go out on a limb
    "investors are gambling that the British pound will fall"

Gamble is to take a risk. That is money. in the case of a free roll instead of money you are risking your time (time is money ) therefore freerolls are gambling
[/COLOR]

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I believe that poker is a gamble, so freerolls can also be considered a gamble.
Good luck.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are gambling, why because your playing with your time, your health is another thing. we were not made to sit down at a computer for 8 hours a day. frustration at the tables can give you grey hair for real!

If playing with time and health is gambling then what about other matters where we play or spend our time? Should we call those other matters gambling? We spend our time doing this and that and in that sense all our activities in life is gambling.

A

AKbadboyAK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm already on the contrary I say that already are part of the money despite being freerolls always have to lead to serious poker game to be a great player.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
those freerolls, while fun, are nothing but gambling..LOl
everyone is ALL IN>

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling involves taking a risk with money or other property and possibly going broke.
You can't go broke playing freerolls.
In my opinion, if you play freerolls and even if you use the winings to buy-in to real money games you are not gambling because you are not putting your own money at risk.

P

pokersextreme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's the birth of gambling after you cash lol...

L

lqprimetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From a family or life standpoint, Freerolls are gambling. Once you have wasted 3 hours of your time and are close to being in the money, you are now gambling your time, and potentially other more profitable things you could be doing, or people you maybe neglecting.
That is why going out 1st hand in a freeroll is "oh well" and going out near the bubble after 3 hours is "GOD DAMN DONKEY GET OUT OF HERE...waste of time"

I don't know if this was an ethical question or like a legal question, legally it isn't unless you are placing a bet or wager(you can't wager your time since there isn't a set value so forget what i said before).
But because of the companies and processes in which Freerolls take place, it could be seen as a means TO gamble,(like with winnings) with no oversight or restriction. Which is why banks or countries can't say "oh he didn't bet money to get that?, in that case let him deposit that money"

It would be interesting for a company to have a "per game" jurisdiction site, where places that don't allow monetary gambling could play freerolls and only withdraw those winnings, like any sweepstakes. And certain tables be restricted based on Jurisdiction.
But I don't know what the point of that would be unless the freeroll was to advertise something else the company could make money off of or sponsor.

Edit: On that above note; that is probably what will happen in the United States if a software/company comes a long that wants to be in multiple jurisdictions. As some states or Jurisdictions have caps on how much you can bet etc...
We will have the Washington $25 cap tables, and the Las Vegas NL tables in the future software.

Last edited:
NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting dialog. I have thought about this quite a bit. I live in Washington State, and it is illegal to "gamble" online. pokerstars, Full Tilt and others will not even give me an account. So... I have to resort to "free" sites and "freerolls" to play online.

Per definition in the WA state law, gambling is defined as "putting something of value at risk". If you are not putting something at risk, then you are not gambling. You are playing a game and spending your time, like any other game. It matters not whether you are playing cards, Halo, or a flight simulator, it is a game. I have received over $2500 in cash from these freerolls, and I have no doubt that I have played "legally".

Now the interesting part is if you use freeroll winning to play a for money game, rather than cash out. If we intend to say that the money in your account at the poker site is not really yours, then you can talk yourself into saying that you are not really risking anything. But this is really a bit of a slippery slope, isn't it.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think that gambling, as far as on line poker is concerned, must begin with a deposit

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Freerolls are part of poker. Poker is a gamble. Logically, freerolls are also a gamble.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In contrast to other gambling poker is very high as the evolution.
the psychology of mathematics discipline aspiration upward
and the excitement gives a constant push up this battles
all our life, any action that we like, contains excitement. without it life will be boring.
and poker, and any game in it is gambling

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are gifts

Very interesting dialog. I have thought about this quite a bit. I live in Washington State, and it is illegal to "gamble" online. Pokerstars, Full Tilt and others will not even give me an account. So... I have to resort to "free" sites and "freerolls" to play online.

Per definition in the WA state law, gambling is defined as "putting something of value at risk". If you are not putting something at risk, then you are not gambling. You are playing a game and spending your time, like any other game. It matters not whether you are playing cards, Halo, or a flight simulator, it is a game. I have received over $2500 in cash from these freerolls, and I have no doubt that I have played "legally".

Now the interesting part is if you use freeroll winning to play a for money game, rather than cash out. If we intend to say that the money in your account at the poker site is not really yours, then you can talk yourself into saying that you are not really risking anything. But this is really a bit of a slippery slope, isn't it.

Freeroll ticket is a gift and any winning generated from that gift is also a gift, just magnified. And if I use that magnified gift for further play like cash games or any other game then I could say that it is the continuation of that freeroll. I am just using the gifts which are coming and which started from that freeroll ticket. Moreover, still I am not putting any of my money at risk.
However, if you cash out your winnings and next day bring that money or part of that money back for the play then you are gambling because you can't associate this money with that freeroll.

NWPatriot

NWPatriot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am with you sibird and I follow your logic. To me, would a court of law follow that same logic and come to the same conclusion? Not so sure, hence the slippery slope.

Happy freerolling everyone and good luck.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am with you sibird and I follow your logic. To me, would a court of law follow that same logic and come to the same conclusion? Not so sure, hence the slippery slope.

Happy freerolling everyone and good luck.

In any court of law it is the job of prosecution to prove that you are gambling. And I am sure it would be a very hard job. They can’t prove it unless they amend the existing laws and existing definition of gambling.
You don’t have to prove that you are NOT gambling. Whatever logic or reasoning placed here are just arguments for defense so that you can walk on a slippery slope with caution and strong footing on the ground. That way slipping can be avoided.
So enjoy freerolls and good luck.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In my opinion freerolls are often played by many players in a gambling way, but actually they are not gambling. Usually they are a part of your rake back of the poker rooms. But freerolls can also be a part of topping your money and this even for free. For some people it is even the start to build a bankroll. So it depends how you look on them and how you play them. Here in the forum are some people who take them very seriously and cashing are pretty often in them. Especially in the freerolls from cardschat.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so the club's freerolls are the best with a prize pool, and this is much more than freerolls, where prizes are very small and many players.
if you try, you can even very well replenish the bankroll and always stay on to buy beer))))

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are not a form of gambling to answer your question. Nothing financial is being wagered so your not betting so its not gambling.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldnt agree more with the first coment, i dont think that your financial investment is that one thing that is considered gambling.. Maybe i didnt get this right but you know what i mean :)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do not agree. even not investing and playing freerolls is already a form of excitement.
freerolls are a part of poker and excitement is always in any game .

gon4iypes

gon4iypes

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
With skill we can only adjust the odds better into our favor if playing against less skilled opponents. It is still not a guarantee you will win any game at any time. The definition of gambling from wiki is : Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning. So unless you are playing a freeroll, received a free ticket to an event or playing for play chips, poker most definately is gambling. If your a skilled player, the odds of winning are good, but a win is never guaranteed.
i don't agree....of course you can't guarantee a win on any specific hand or even tourney...in the long run a good player will come out ahead. Just my humble opinion but I don't see poker as gambling in the same context as, for example roulette

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling Freeroll Passwords