Are freerolls not part of gambling?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With skill we can only adjust the odds better into our favor if playing against less skilled opponents. It is still not a guarantee you will win any game at any time. The definition of gambling from wiki is : Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning. So unless you are playing a freeroll, received a free ticket to an event or playing for play chips, poker most definately is gambling. If your a skilled player, the odds of winning are good, but a win is never guaranteed.

I agree one hand of poker, on session or one tournament would be gambling but in poker you can be +EV in the long run where as in gambling you can not. To build a bankroll in poker you find a game you can beat and play it as much as you can.

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
freerolls can be considered gambling when..

Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?

In the money out of pocket sense, you are not gambling anything, it is all up-side. All you can do is win.

The only way you would be gambling in the money out of pocket manner would be if you are in freeroll, and the decision affects getting into the money. Also, you would be gambling every decision that could affect your finish, where you end up at on the money prize ladder, Others may be able to clarify and add to this thread..

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?

Correct - freerolls are not gambling because you don't risk anything.

But they are fun and a good way to practice your poker skills.

Good luck !

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you not bet, but you can win...so...theres something in risk.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that everything that is connected with poker is gambling and freerolls too, but maybe I'm wrong and in fact freerolls are not gambling games!

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls for entertainment value . If I wasn't playing poker I would be watching TV or out golfing or something entertaining . If your playing to try and make a big pay day, somewhere down the road, then it might considered gambling . It's all about how you feel about it . Good luck .

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As soon as you sit down,they give you chips to play with,,,chips you gamble with! Period.:top:

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he freeroll are part of the game many players begin to love their banking from them luck greetings:bike:

M

martina pinto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
of course the freerroll are part of the game and you can take these tournaments as a training without losing a penny .. it is in one if we know how to use it to improve or to have fun and try our luck

K

Kassandra677

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that freerolls are also gambling games))) any game is primarily a passion, regardless of the money or candy wrappers you play);)

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are gambling, why because your playing with your time, your health is another thing. we were not made to sit down at a computer for 8 hours a day. frustration at the tables can give you grey hair for real!

F

franknavin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No...you're not risking anything...except you're peronal time.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No it's not gambling. Poker is a mixture of skill and gambling. If you paid nothing to get into a tournament, it cannot be considered gambling.

L

Larry moyer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've posted about this earlier. Seems If the games is free the are no rules. People playing stupid hands that if it was there own money they should never play. Makes it hard to play serious poker when someone is going all in on 2 9 off suit. Then they get lucky on the river. Sheesh

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every game when the end result depends entirely or partially from pure luck is gambling more or less. Yes in freerolls you are not risking your money but you spend your time which you can use for something else. Good thing about poker is that in a long run skill will prevail over luck. I am not worried if somebody tell me that i am gambler because i play poker. I do not hide it from my family, colleagues or friends. If somebody wants to listen i explain them the difference between pure gambling and proper poker play and show them that i have not lost any money. If they don't want to listen - ok it is their opinion and i can't change it.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls

Freerolls are not gambling, because you pay zero, so there is no risk.

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls in Money terms or Financial terms are free and could not be considered as gambling but Ethically or religiously; All Luck games that generate profits are considered Gambling.
Let's say you took down a Freeroll and you shipped the best Prize in $$$$ what are you going to do with that $$$$? If you withdraw it you are a Gambler and if you will use that money in Buy ins you are a Gambler as well.

In some Muslim countries Poker is considered as a Sin. I am myself a Gambler living in a Muslim country.

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are a great opportunity to build your bankroll and practice tournaments at no expense. I don't think it's considered gambling because your money is not at risk.

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoy freerolls they are stress relievers for the work day

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Someone else is paying for buy-in

As soon as you sit down,they give you chips to play with,,,chips you gamble with! Period.:top:
Yes, here you have a point "they give you chips to play with...". while i am not paying for buy-in, but someone else is paying (sponsors or poker rooms).

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're imagining things. And if you win? You'll get real money. So don't make that up.

B

bugiardops

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How other people said here, do you can spend a lot of time and energy playing poker online. For play freeroll do you should have free time, because spend time and paid little. I think that a lot of players will be agressive at the start (gambling/cassino?). Why? We are not paying to play. I love play freeroll, and you too...

jhosept6

jhosept6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if it is part of the game since everything you earn is independent and will add to your bank that at the end of the month is what matters

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think freerolls should be considered ''gambling'' because you are risking nothing to win something even if it is just pennies! Am I gambling when I put my name in a hat at a free raffle to win something? NO! I think to be considered gambling you need to actually risk something. But I do agree even if it is not considered gambling you should still be paying taxes on your winnings.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling Freeroll Passwords