Fed up with my discipline! Blew Bankroll.....again!

H

Hellboy42

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a member of several forums and this type of thread is common amongst all of them. In the vast majority of cases they relate to blowing bankrolls in cash games. The fact that you have managed to build up your bankroll in the first place would demonstrate that you have decent game. Perhaps you should maybe try playing tournaments, either freerolls or low buyins and see how you get on. Don't give up and good luck.

C

commanderpants

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think about it like an "investment". Like Hellboy said, just the fact that you were up over a period of time means you have some game. Now you have to combine that with some form of discipline with your finances. Think about assigning a certain "risk amount" over a string of games and setting some rules and checkpoints for performance. Don't give up! I've traded derivatives, in addition to playing poker and the only thing that will keep you alive in both these probability based activities is smart risk management and mad perseverance. Fall down 9 times, get up 10!

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is not meant to be rude, but serve as a reality check.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that both times you built your roll by going on a massive heater. Then when the heater stops, you get frustrated and go on a donky tilt and lose it all.

If you truly want to save your roll, then you have to accept that poker is one huge ****ing massive irritating mind blowingly dull grind.

There is a saying in poker that if you are bored then you are playing good poker.

At 19 I would also guess that $1000 is rather a large sum for you and you think beating poker is easy and will provide you with a really nice income far surpassing you college friends. You need to understand that playing winning poker consistently takes many many thousands of hands of practice and is not at all easy.

Follow proper bankroll management and understand that there is no easy "fix" to your problems. Learning not to donky tilt comes with experience, and with experience comes consistent profits over a large hand sample.

N

NeonTiger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your response! It's a possibility that it was a massive heater both times, but not likely. Also I've had a really nice income far surpassing my friends, teachers, and parents since I was 16. Lets just say, I was very gifted in computer programming, which lead me to program iphone Apps for Apple. Poker by any means is not easy, I know this.
I will keep your BRM advice in mind!

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for your response! It's a possibility that it was a massive heater both times, but not likely. Also I've had a really nice income far surpassing my friends, teachers, and parents since I was 16. Lets just say, I was very gifted in computer programming, which lead me to program iPhone Apps for Apple. Poker by any means is not easy, I know this.
I will keep your BRM advice in mind!

Sounds like a better earner than poker imo

TheGenera1

TheGenera1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^

If you have the money, then don't worry too much about quitting poker, just stick at it and you'll eventually do well :)

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger, how is poker going? Would like to know how your bankroll management is going? Are you still with us?

ander

ander

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're the only one that can help. You have to fight to get discipline, no post here will do u any signiicant change

C

commanderpants

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hopefully you'll come back into the Poker world with some solid "rules" around BRM, this time. That should help you stay afloat. Know your personality and recognize the times when you'll overplay. Have a plan for what to do (pull away for a while, etc.) during those times before you make your next deposit.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management