Fed up with my discipline! Blew Bankroll.....again!

N

NeonTiger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey fellas, I need some support to gain my confidence back up or something. I'm thinking about leaving the poker world for good!

I recently just blew my 2300 dollar bankroll which took about a month and a half to build up to about .88 cents, which intially started at 80.00 dollars. I Also blew my bankroll back in november which was around 500.00 dollars.

What i'm trying to say, I really need to improve my discipline, I need some great advice. I feel there is a missing puzzle piece keeping me from being a succesfull poker player. It just when you have so many bad beats and your running terribly, i just loose it! Today has by far been the worst day of poker considering the bad beats! I know there are many out there who have been in my position, how you guys bounce back? Thanks for your time fellas!

P

ph0n3_j4ck

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read around the forum here and look specifically for the titles that include "Bank Roll Management" or "BRM". You'll learn a thing or two.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep WVH is right.
Try building a BR from freerolls and use BRM. Set a goal of 30 buy-ins to move up. $60.00 for 2NL $120.00 for 4NL when you drop back to $60.00 drop back to 2NL.
Set it in place and stick to it, if you can't you should stop playing.
This has worked for me, but i started at a much lower BR and built it up, it makes it harder but it may help you.

N

NeonTiger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When I was building my Bankroll this time, I was strict on using only 5% of it. I mult-table sit-goes normally. It was just bad beat after bad beat, nothing was holding. I just went on a giant tilt! I just get so flippin frustrated with myself!

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Start here --> CLICK

It starts slow but the plot thickens. :)

:icon_salu

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It appears the OP has at least a couple of issues. One, as he noted himself, is insufficient self-discipline, which manifests as not being able to stay within guidelines he's already aware of. Another is the apparent inability to avoid playing on tilt.

It looks like he may also be making a third mistake by looking for a magic pill, a simple solution. Some people find things that work for them, but for others, it's just not that easy. Given that he has blown two bankrolls already while seemingly having some idea of BRM, so telling him to have 20 or 30 buyins doesn't seem very likely to help.

Instead, maybe it will help to look at how he disciplines himself IRL to do things he has to but doesn't want to? Perhaps it's possible to shift or adapt methods that already work for him in areas other than poker.

freeringo

freeringo

2019-20-21 League Champs
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Put a limit on how much you lose in 1 day and quit when you hit that number. simple as that really!
It looks as though you are a good player and have had success. So, you have to understand that poker is a roller coaster ride. When you are on a fall, there is nothing to stop it except time.
After playing online poker daily mostly for 13+ years I have found that being successful in poker requires lots of time and patience. When you develop a mind set that you have to make up your shortcomings in 1 day or night, that's when you fall through the ice.

You are not unique! This is the typical mindset of gambling addiction.
Try to think of Poker like a game of chess chess instead of a slot machine.
also, I don't know how difficult it is for you to cash out, but I have always made a practice of cashing out as soon as I hit a certain level.

I hope 1 or more things I have said helps you.
LOL players like you is why I enjoy poker so much.

J

jfc43

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you guys have great ideas I may copy all that as far as discipline goes I would have to read it all over again. I think there are plenty out there who needs it.
GREAT post Freringo, I have fallen like that many times and still going back grrr

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, the name of this thread should be "I'm fed up with my lack of discipline"

Now, I have a problem with discipline when it comes to cash games some of the time and I counter that with playing large field micro MTTs and also play some micro STTs.

Sure, I still receive badbeats in the tournaments but if I end up going on tilt and spew my chips, it only costed me the amount of the buy-in and I could move on to the next game with more or less new players, instead of going tilt crazy and trying to chase lost money.

Just something to think about, hope it helps.

iamhukleberry

iamhukleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes brm..is the answer i keep my bankroll from 30 dollars to 0 that way i am never upset about losing lol...

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tiger, how old are you? I ask because it may be important. Also, what games are you involved with? Ring, Tourney? Buy-Ins and what your BR is when you BI (ratio).....basic BRM stuff.

I will guess that at times when you have that bigger BR, you get to feeling that you have to do something about making it grow NOW ! That is the exact time you should not sit down to play.

Hell, I'm over 60 and when I start a run good I still get that same feeling, and feel like I must accomplish this NOW. It still kills my br, just like it did years ago, its just that I can stop playing much faster now than I used to. So my downswoops tend to be much less dramatic.

While you say you want to be successful, ask yourself if you are willing to do ALL the things necessary to be successful. Self- Discipline is one of those things and affects how you approach BRM.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hey fellas, I need some support to gain my confidence back up or something. I'm thinking about leaving the poker world for good!

I recently just blew my 2300 dollar bankroll which took about a month and a half to build up to about .88 cents, which intially started at 80.00 dollars. I Also blew my bankroll back in november which was around 500.00 dollars.

What i'm trying to say, I really need to improve my discipline, I need some great advice. I feel there is a missing puzzle piece keeping me from being a succesfull poker player. It just when you have so many bad beats and your running terribly, i just loose it! Today has by far been the worst day of poker considering the bad beats! I know there are many out there who have been in my position, how you guys bounce back? Thanks for your time fellas!
I know for me it is can usually be summed up in a one word explanation ..... over-confidence, better known as "ego".

Your own "introspection" using meditation may well provide you with the answer .... could be many things ranging from poor BRM, playing to high a level, ego (over confidence), tilt, alcohol/drugs, or simply variance.

GL, Wally

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Recently, I was on a very bad losing streak, but it wasn’t due to bad beats. I just kept getting my money in bad; every time I had Queens, my opponent would have Aces - every time I had AQ, they would have AK. That’s just how it goes sometimes, but getting your money in badly doesn’t always mean that you’ve done something wrong.

For example, if my opponent gets all his money in pre-flop when he’s got Kings and I’ve got Aces, does that mean he’s a bad player because he got his money in poorly? Or that I’m a great poker player because I got my money in well? Obviously the answer is no – if our roles were reversed I’d be the one going broke. We both played the hand correctly; the fact that he was behind doesn’t mean that he played it wrong. He was simply unlucky to get dealt Kings when I was dealt Aces.

Focusing too much on getting your money in good can actually be a part of playing badly overall. I am serious! I hear a lot of people complain, “I always get my money in good, but I keep losing… I can’t believe it!” Most of these players just don’t remember the times they’ve gotten lucky with the worst hand. But some people actually do get their money in well a majority of the time. It may be hard to believe, but these people are experiencing the right percentage of hands they’re going to lose – it’s just that these losses result in the players getting knocked out of tournaments because they are playing too tight.

Suppose I’m playing heads up and I’m only going to go all-in with Aces, Kings or Queens. My opponent is pushing me around by raising every single hand and moving in on me with any two cards. Finally, I get a pair of Aces and he moves in again. Even if I win the hand, just think about all the chips he’s taken away from me while I was waiting for my high pocket pair.

If I’ve lost 1,000 chips to him before I put my last 1,000 in the pot - even though I have my money in good - I’m only going to win 1,000 chips back. So, I’m actually employing a poor strategy by waiting for hands that don’t come around often enough because even if I win this hand, I’m only going to break even - and there’s no guarantee that I’m going to win. Plus, the chips my opponent is putting into the pot have been accumulated from all the folding I’ve been doing, so he’s now freerolling even though he’s behind in the hand.

Great players are going to get their money in bad once in awhile, especially if they’re playing against someone who’s playing way too tight. However, they’re actually going to make money over the long run because of all the small pots they win when their opponents are unwilling to challenge their raises without a strong hand. What this means is that if you try too hard to get your money in good all of the time, you’re susceptible to being bluffed and are going to lose more often over a long period of time.

Losing stings, especially when it seems like you’re getting your chips in badly with every hand you play. Still, if you keep your calm and avoid going on tilt, it’s possible to weather a rough patch without making drastic changes to your game.

Keep your focus on playing well. Even if you do find yourself “getting your money in bad” from time to time, you’ll end up a winner in the long run.

Just don't get over-confident!

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its pretty much all been said.

What has lost me a lot of money in the past is tilt. And I dont just mean anger. Drinking, being tired, lack of concentration, chasing losses and so on. If you are not playing your best, stop. Just dont play anymore for a while. That could be an hour or a day. If I am on 8 tables and have great table selection and conditions, it wont help me if I cant use it.

If you cant shrug off the beats etc., take a break.

T

tcummo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think of poker as 'free money' now.
Don't deposit anything till you want to withdraw.
Play any freerolls , private ones are better such as
the CC freerolls and use BRM.
It is a joy to build a BR from zero and no risk to your wallet.
Doing this will give you a solid foundation to work your way
up thru the levels , and teach you how to adjust.
IMO, this is a good way to go about it.
I've said this before but , if you cannot beat freerolls and micro,
you are NOT going to beat the higher levels unless you are very lucky or 'gifted'.
Poker is a 'lifetime' pursuit , play where you are comfortable
and have fun.
Good luck.

L

LarryT503

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger, don't give up! You've built the bankrolls so you know it can be done. The key is discipline and that is something often learned through struggle. I think limiting the $ risked daily is sound advice.

N

NeonTiger

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replies, there is some great advice offered that I will take up on. I beleive with these post will soon enough get me back on the right track. For those wondering, I'm a younger poker player 19. Once my Bankroll was over a thousand I played 20-50 dollar sit n goes only. I played ring games in the past on AP and just hated them. I was in control with my money for the most part.

The past week I should not of played i guess. I played with little focus, poor discplince, and just bad descisions via not controlling a tilt. Things going on around me also affected my play I believe. There was a death in the family last week. Honestly ever since then, I just havent felt the same when I sit down for a session in poker. I mean there is no focus and I become careless.

Hell, I even put 1500 in a vault and told myself I wouldn't touch it ( I play on lock poker just and fyi) that didn't work. I'm just f**king dissapointed in myself.

I've decided to take a week or 2 off. I will deposit once again and keep you guys updated if you'd like. Thanks for your time fellas

I

itnevermakesnosense

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would say: quit poker. it will not cause you any good or prove me wrong!

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once my Bankroll was over a thousand I played 20-50 dollar sit n goes only.
Even after reading all these replies you state this as if it's OK. It isn't. Learn some more about sound BRM

A

Aldito

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replies, there is some great advice offered that I will take up on. I beleive with these post will soon enough get me back on the right track. For those wondering, I'm a younger poker player 19. Once my Bankroll was over a thousand I played 20-50 dollar sit n goes only. I played ring games in the past on AP and just hated them. I was in control with my money for the most part.

The past week I should not of played i guess. I played with little focus, poor discplince, and just bad descisions via not controlling a tilt. Things going on around me also affected my play I believe. There was a death in the family last week. Honestly ever since then, I just havent felt the same when I sit down for a session in poker. I mean there is no focus and I become careless.

Hell, I even put 1500 in a vault and told myself I wouldn't touch it ( I play on lock poker just and fyi) that didn't work. I'm just f**king dissapointed in myself.

I've decided to take a week or 2 off. I will deposit once again and keep you guys updated if you'd like. Thanks for your time fellas

Tilt and poor BRM has severely hampered my growth as a poker player. I should be playing much higher than I am by now but I've always managed money poorly.

One thing I'll say is that when you're not feeling great about playing the best thing you can do is step away from the games for a couple of days and come back refreshed. GL

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the things I rely on to keep myself in check is to play play money games in the mornings. Not for anything other than being able to judge a few things about how I am playing today, Now. Also acts as a somewhat decent warm-up for the day, like morning exercises for a track guy. These days that usually includes the Merge HORSE freeroll, which for me are morning games. Also might include the new Stars Zoom games, which I can only play for play money, but are certainly a quick tell on how patient I will be on that day.....Odd to think the fastest poker in the world can tell me about my patience on any given day, but it does.

This has saved me lots of cash over the years when I realize I am just not 'with it' on that particular day.

Yeah, on occasion I get a false read on my daily 'zen' but overall it has been +EV.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
One of the things I rely on to keep myself in check is to play play money games in the mornings. Not for anything other than being able to judge a few things about how I am playing today, Now. Also acts as a somewhat decent warm-up for the day, like morning exercises for a track guy. These days that usually includes the Merge HORSE freeroll, which for me are morning games. Also might include the new Stars Zoom games, which I can only play for play money, but are certainly a quick tell on how patient I will be on that day.....Odd to think the fastest poker in the world can tell me about my patience on any given day, but it does.

This has saved me lots of cash over the years when I realize I am just not 'with it' on that particular day.

Yeah, on occasion I get a false read on my daily 'zen' but overall it has been +EV.
I like that advice DJ ... makes sense! Thanks, Wally

C

commanderpants

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had the same problem friend!

I kept blowing my bankroll too. I used my derivatives trading experience to create a statistical approach to bankroll management, fix my mental attitude by reading books, and come up with a psychological system of measurement, again from my derivates trading regimen.

Ash Chakraborty

Last edited by a moderator:
Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management