Emotions and Poker

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My emotions strongly influence the game, when I am angry, I play very aggressively and therefore I lose.:(

navicula

navicula

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions can destroy us. This is so bad.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should absolutely avoid emotions when playing, it could influence it into a negative direction.
This causes tilt. There are different types of tilts that, if you are an emotional player you should notice e.g entitlement tilt, running bad tilt etc. You should know that there is variance in poker, that’s why you cannot always win.

Rather than avoiding emotions, have you tried understanding why the emotions arise? Perhaps they are trying to tell you something. :)

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you have to master to control emotions otherwise they can have a bad impact on the game

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. One way to lose is to let your emotions get mixed in with focus. They don't go together well and can take a person down quicker than aces versus 72 offset.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play with money you can afford to lose, for starters!
Always BRM like a pro
Have fun
Emotions are part of the game but try to meditate, practice stoicism as humanly possible!

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to play with money you can afford to lose, for starters!
Always BRM like a pro
Have fun
Emotions are part of the game but try to meditate, practice stoicism as humanly possible!

Stoicism led me on a path I never knew existed. I am deeply philosophical now because of it. Please PM me if you'd like to talk about Stoicism or philosophy. :) :) :)

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stoicism, huh? I never knew that was what it was called. I guess I practice the same thing. I learned long ago when I was in the Navy to control my emotions so I didn't go off on anybody at work and didn't come home and take my anger out on my family. Over the past few years though, I have been dealing with some heavy shit. At this point, I am like Bruce Banner in The Avengers. Early on he alluded to having a secret. Then when Captain America told him it might be a good time for him to get angry, he replied "That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry". That's the secret that I keep from the people around me. I am always angry. But I have gotten so good at keeping it under control that it doesn't affect my actions or behavior.

HeshamTwix

HeshamTwix

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EG
Chips
Emotions are part of the poker game. Sometimes you will have emotions such as resentment at other times happyness, but the question here is how to control your emotions so that you do not let your emotions affect your game style.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't know if it would be classified as "emotion", but I guess it would because it is very similar to being bored. Something I am constantly fighting, with both poker and shooting, is a desire to be finished with one thing and move on to the next. With shooting it is moving on to the next bullseye or station, and with poker it is moving on to another tournament. The danger is that it can cause me to hurry in order to be done. I have a pretty good handle on it, but if I don't remind myself, "Take your time. Take your time.", on rare occasions it can overrule that advice. :)

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
How much does our emotions affect our game? Being angry, sad or worried about situations outside of poker.

If I'm in a bad mood, then I just don't play - not good for the game... ;)

Last edited:
frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me it is the harder part about becoming profitable.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There were times at the beginning I wanted to punch my screen but after so many coolers not. I have coolered too many times when I was the underdog (talking about preflop flips).I get used to it , that's poker.

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
How much does our emotions affect our game? Being angry, sad or worried about situations outside of poker.

I venture to say 100%.

If you are not with a clear mind you will hardly present your best game.

H

hohol97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I am often fall to tilt. IT is awful and takes money. Never everything is ok.

CBETKA

CBETKA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since I play only for fun, emotions do not annoy me. I'm as calm as a fish in a frying pan.

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
all kinds of weeds affect us in the game to play you have to have peace of mind and a lot of concentration

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I learn to not have emotions when playing poker. It is best. You have to be cold and with a killer mentality.

T

TaigaMaster

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am greatly influenced by my mood .... especially if I am upset or nervous about something

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, emotions affect my game very much. Emotions prevent me from making the right decision.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
They are very influential. You shouldn't play on such days if you have any problems and worries. You need to sit down at tables with a cool head.