Drugs and Poker

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink a lot of coffee whether at the tables or not. I also smoke (cigarrettes) a lot, but neither of them influences my play. Of course the lack of these affects me but that would be true with any other activity as well since I am -sadly- coffee and tobacco dependent.
As for other drugs and alcohol I do think they impact the game negatively. An altered state of mind translates into altered decision making and I can't see how that would help to a better play IMHO.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I drink a lot of coffee whether at the tables or not. I also smoke (cigarrettes) a lot, but neither of them influences my play. Of course the lack of these affects me but that would be true with any other activity as well since I am -sadly- coffee and tobacco dependent.
As for other drugs and alcohol I do think they impact the game negatively. An altered state of mind translates into altered decision making and I can't see how that would help to a better play IMHO.

For sure, the brain reacts different on each person since its a world of millions of chemical reactions happening all at once. Thats why I created this thread, to see how each person which has been under the influence of drugs has altered their game for better or worst. And to see the different point of views of other non-users.

rancidcarp

rancidcarp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a sledge hammer can clear your mind also..or some helium.....

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a sledge hammer can clear your mind also..or some helium.....

^ If I could delete certain post that contribute nothing to the talk this would be one of them.

^
I would also include this one. Btw, you are not funny at all rancidcarp, if that was your an attempt to be funny you failed at that.

Bob23bk

Bob23bk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
weed will not give you a clear mind and thinking that it will clear your mind is ridiculous.

Tell that to these guys :canabis:

003f7016c734ecdb8489dd023a0fceea.jpg

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So the only wsop 3-time champion was a big heavy drug user. And it's sad that he isn't still around.

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never been playing high, but one beer (and only one) helps to me to concentrate a little bit better. The bad thing is, that it makes a little bit tired after a while..

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its all about tolerance, what some people may be able to handle it some others might not be able to handle it. I play drunk and stoned everyday and it doesn't effect my play too much.. if im too drunk i'll play pretty badley or if im too stoned i might go out like broomcorns uncle but usually I let them level each other out... The biggest tournaments i've ever won I was drunk and stoned.. some can handle it and focus and others can not!

As for weed clearing your mind, this again comes down to the individual. For me it definitely clears my mind and helps me relax! People who are fighting for one side or the other are just wasting time because its not a 1 size fits all type but instead an individuals perception of his or her own mind being clear!

Last edited:
Dangerboy

Dangerboy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he takes drugs and so the play is not normal! Such players are saying all in hands like 26o. Unfortunately, sometimes they come on the line in these pages, and if my hand is AA at this time I am angry.

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may seem to help if there is a calming effect. But over all I would say stay away from drugs period.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know a lot of players play while being high on coke or weed.

I wonder if it changes the way they play. Maybe while high you play more in tune with the villains raises and on coke you might be more aggresive. IDK. what do you guys think?

Funny question... Really who cares..:eek: I couldnt imagine would that would be like. :D

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Tell that to these guys :canabis:

003f7016c734ecdb8489dd023a0fceea.jpg

Really, your reference is a pic you found on the net that some unknown has made.

And if you use your pic as a reference it says they use it to relax, not to clear their mind.

Bob23bk

Bob23bk

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really, your reference is a pic you found on the net that some unknown has made.

And if you use your pic as a reference it says they use it to relax, not to clear their mind.

Really, my pic is a reference to 2 people who are the best in the world at what they do, who also happen to smoke pot. This post was aimed at people saying such things as "weed will not clear your mind and thinking that it will is ridiculous". Even if they only use it to celebrate after an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL WIN, it should shed some light on people such as yourself trying to associate pot with brain cell death :rolleyes:

H

Haki

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm I guess it would be fun to play while on drugs :D

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
POKER FOR me is like a drug I can not stop playing until one realizes that he does wrong .. I have to learn to control my impulses are closed session to enjoy see this in my becoming an obsession

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont drink much anymore, I used to smoke weed all the time and recently quit like 6 months ago. I think when i blaze b4 i play, i play looser and dont really care about it and i get more frustrated with a suck out or bad beat when im high. I have a friend that is in here also that blazes constantly and he flips out when he gets screwed so i think its best to play sober and with a clear head. I honestly think my buddy would play better if he was sober lol.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The only drug ive ever taken while playing is prescription valium, and thats because I have pretty bad anxiety. It just helps me calm down if im having a panic attack lol

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the persons tolerance, the drug, the amount they take, their personality, ect...

Very subjective question. With that said I smoke medical cannabis everyday so I have been stoned in prob 95% of the poker games I have ever played in :D

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the only ¨drug¨ that i can think it could be ¨benefical¨ is caffeine, especially in long mtt where you need to be at least 12 hours straight playing without losing your focus on the game.