Are Double or Nothing SnG's worth it?

LRPharm54

LRPharm54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the stats and insight to double or nothing. It is good food for thought and there are some points brought up I didn't consider. Again thanks and best of luck all in your pursuits.:rolleyes:

F

finnell

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the these sit n goes.You can play nice an tight .
I took my bankroll up from $5 to over $60 just playing
the $3 dlb up 6 handed on playersonly in 1 night.
Won the 1st 9 i played then lost 1 then back to the winning grind

Western mail

Western mail

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is more profit to be had in DON games at some of the smaller sites.pokerstars is full of rocks even in the $1 games.Getting to 6 or 7 big blinds left with 8 handed is just a lottery.Some of the sites that dont allow huds like cake,would be a good idea for people who are not into mass multitabling.

B

BenLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or Nothing Sit n' Go's

Are these things profitable? I'm a cash game player but the thought of such easy money is tempting...are these games worth it?

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are capable of massing tables (20+) and don't mind a rather boring game, then yes.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally I think double up STTs are a great way to practice bubble play. If you're at a 10 man STT and top 5 get double their buy-in (-rake). It seems like when it's down to the final 6 or 7, the game goes stale, almost like it does in every MTTs you will play when you near the bubble.

Looking at my HEM stats, the double ups I've been playing on bodog average about a 20 minute longer time frame than a straight 10 player SnG. So in my own personal experience (and take on it) it will benefit you and help you work on "bubble play" but due to the increased average time invested the hourly rate will go down opposed to 6-max STT, 9-max STT, 10-max STT, etc.

And granted the game is boring for the most part, especially when you lose two or three players right off the bat the game gets extremely tight and the blinds increase very slowly.

Maybe a double up turbo would make it a little more action packed, faster, and more profitable/hr, I mean after all we all love action.

Western mail

Western mail

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive played them on and off but they are definetley getting harder as even poor players are clicking onto the right way to play them.

I also think to a certain extent they stump your growth as a poker player,as your folding so many hands you hardly ever go beyond the flop.They are dull as dishwater to play as well.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why everyone complains about how boring these are. I actually find them rather excited, and are great practice for bubble play (as has been previously mentioned).

I think it is far easier to cash in these than standard 1 table SnG's. You would be hard pressed (even multi tabling) finding them more profitable than Multi Table SnG's (if you happen to be skilled in these events, and place frequently).

Depends on your preference, but I think they are great for solid beginning players, or grinders who want to play with limited risk to BR.

Western mail

Western mail

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They used to be a goldmine on most sites when they appeared a while back.Rake is a killer though.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
They used to be a goldmine on most sites when they appeared a while back.Rake is a killer though.
Well, I have not played one in about a week so guess I'll try my luck again....did not know they had them on BoDog...that's great. I usually play 2 at a time on PokerStars...play really tight/aggressive at the $10 Buy-in level, TURBO. Tourney usually takes 30-40 minutes and I've usually played on average maybe 6-8 hands with at least 1 double up. I have been averaging about 80% wins, but don't play that many. Maybe I have just been lucky as someone has mentioned, but usually do well in these. I consider them to be less risky and much easier to win vice other STTs. Note, I always play the Turbo where blinds increase faster. I seem to have more difficulty with the regular speed DoN.

Wally

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if you can find turbos, the rake isn't any more than a standard SnG. Standard speed though, it's double the rake, which kills at lower limits.

A

AceZWylD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

if you can find turbos, the rake isn't any more than a standard SnG. Standard speed though, it's double the rake, which kills at lower limits.

P

Psycotic17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you say Double or Nothing do you mean like Half the players double their buy in... or what? I think they are profitable if you feel you make it to top 5 most of the time but you can quite make top 3 They can be very good but if you make top 3 on avg then you should just stay regular Tournys

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you say Double or Nothing do you mean like Half the players double their buy in... or what? I think they are profitable if you feel you make it to top 5 most of the time but you can quite make top 3 They can be very good but if you make top 3 on avg then you should just stay regular Tournys

Yes, For example 10/10 players buy in at bodog for $7.70 ... 5 are knocked out the remaining 5 make a total of $14 where actual profits are $6.30

steak vegita

steak vegita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dad went from 20$ to 600$ in two days off these. So yah,. very profitable.

Western mail

Western mail

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As boring as they are i do fire up a few if im feeling like im running a little bad on other sngs.They at least get the graph going the right way when your a little low on confidence after a couple of coolers:)

Dreams of Tragedy

Dreams of Tragedy

dreamsoftragedy.com
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like them due to the fact is that i been in the cash spots 3 out of 3 times with then

gallopingael

gallopingael

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i like them due to the fact is that i been in the cash spots 3 out of 3 times with then

That'll change. :p

Wait till you have your first 0-fer set with AA, KK and a flopped straight getting cracked in addition to running into AA, KK and a flopped straight.

:eek:

L

LukeSilver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for heck sake every few days someone makes a post like this and then people discuss it and then it goes down and ignored until it basically none existent then someone makes another one and the whole process is repeated. You can make money from double or nothings, you can make money from cash tables, you can make money from normal single table sit and goes or MTTS.

all forms of poker that don't charge an excessive rake you can make money from.

There is nothing special about double or nothings it isn't a new genius easy way to suddenly make money. there is nothing attrocious or wrong with double or nothings it is not impossible to make money from them. There as profitable as normal standard single table sngs if you know what your doing. Just some people prefer different types of poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
for heck sake every few days someone makes a post like this and then people discuss it and then it goes down and ignored until it basically none existent then someone makes another one and the whole process is repeated. You can make money from double or nothings, you can make money from cash tables, you can make money from normal single table sit and goes or MTTS.

There is nothing special about double or nothings it isn't a new genius easy way to suddenly make money. there is nothing attrocious or wrong with double or nothings it is not impossible to make money from them. There as profitable as normal standard single table sngs if you know what your doing. Just some people prefer different types of poker.

True!!! ....... "BUT" (<< LOL), when DoNs first became popular there was probably a greater oppurtunity to make decent money in them, on account of alot of players not making the right adjustments for playing them (alot less regs. and alot more inexperienced players, regularly making costly mistakes). Now, I would say it's more as you're suggesting..... same as anything else.... it's not a magic pill.

W

WurlyQ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My dad went from 20$ to 600$ in two days off these. So yah,. very profitable.

Run good more?

The first part is standard. You'll see it happen over and over and over again. The second part is not entirely correct imo. DoNs are easier to learn than other games. Just playing nit tight is not enough beyond the $1s but the number of concepts required to beat these is far less than other games (notably cash games).

Profitability is not always correlated to amount of skill involved. Therefore looking for games that are more profitable per the amount of work you are willing to put in is a valuable thing to do if your goal is to maximize your bottom line. Over time, any overly profitable game will converge to a more "normal" profitability due to more grinders joining the game but there can be shorter term time periods where a game is softer than other games.

P

PasoTex

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I might write a strategy page on it for people here sometime.

Luke, you sound like you really know what you're talking about. If you have time, I think a lot of people would appreciate and benefit from your strategy tips.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i tried DONs, found out there are a lot of people playing more games at once, regs probably, i broke about even so i stoped, maybe i will give them another try.

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i promised myself to give DONs another try, just played 4, won 2 lost 2, and the 2 i lost ware with AA vs AT and KK vs AA, i think i am done with these games.

BeaverTrump

BeaverTrump

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it the best way of construction BR for beginning players))))