Do you think you can play poker for a living?

L

lf_aceboogie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker as a hobby

Personally I see myself doing this for just fun, don't see myself doing this as a job or anything close.

V

vaci38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whether you can live by playing poker , I think that's a rarity , only a few of thousands , a lot of hard , be good luck , knowledge , skill , play relaxed without fear that you will lose money , a lot of components that need to be fit in order to make a living playing poker , I personally play for fun I realized that I can not earn money:mad: :eek:

knnyblack

knnyblack

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
making a living playing poker

when I play live games it seem like I win before I lose most of the time. I just can't seem to get over the $200 mark.

K

KALUGAJ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
If I played poker for a living, so my family is broke. Every day, loss, loss, loss ... my poker is a disaster, I do not understand. For even the weakest player has a day when he won ...

EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I continued banking £200 - £220+ nightly, playing .50 / £1, as I have this week, sure. I've yet to get the results of my badbeat bonus, as well.
However, I'm a realist. This won't EVER be my main source of income, but a decent supplemental income.

Last edited:
K

klickitat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, I need $1500 a week take home.

That means after travel, food, buy ins and taxes: I would need to win $4500 a week.

I have a hard time seeing myself being able to make those kinds of numbers any time soon as I play only live games. I suppose that if I were to move to Nevada then it might be possible. I would have a lot more live games and playing online would be allowed.

C

cessam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes i think i can play poker for a living .

S

snake666

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think isn't present! I couldn't endure so many stess about one life!

fingers182005

fingers182005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to play in the big league and to play for a living your going to have to be very aggressive, have a large bank roll and awesome bankroll management. the bank roll management is where i screw myself everytime other then that im a bad ass on the felt.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on small stakes and not very expensive tournaments, for me it's great when I sometimes win and get a little extra profit, but I'd like to get into a good expensive tournament and try to win something, for me the main thing in poker is good to go up and play cache games on good stakes or in normal expensive tournaments and get a good profit!

slurredreaction

slurredreaction

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to think that I can play for a living, but right now it's kind of impossible since I have 2 little ones. When they get older I'll definitely try it out. Something I'm looking forward to.

M

midoooo90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many consider poker a simple game, but they are wrong. This is a very difficult game and it is extremely difficult to succeed in it. BUT if you really want something, everything is possible

P

pokerpick311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Conveniences of living poker Before looking at the benefits, it is convenient to know all the disadvantages that playing poker can entail. In this article we are going to list three of them so that you know the possible disadvantages of playing poker. Patience To live poker requires a lot of patience Lack of benefits: It is possible that some months you have a total absence of benefits, even that the final result of your games leads to losses. It is necessary that you have enough confidence in the game you are developing (in addition to a comfortable budget) to withstand periods of drought and win again. No poker player escapes to long difficult periods, so you must be prepared for it. Becoming exhausted: If you play all day for several days in a row you will become exhausted. If you played really high levels you probably would not need to be in front of the computer all day, but since you can not afford to play at those betting levels, you will probably have to play almost all day to pay for your life: food, lodging and other expenses. Little time for the family: From the moment you decide to live poker, the time you spend with your family will be drastically reduced. You should also know that when a good poker player goes through a bad period in results, he should probably increase the hours of play when he recovers to get the expected benefits. :rolleyes:

NinjaHand

NinjaHand

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if you get lucky. And I don't mean on the tables, only.
You'd need to have little to no responsibilities - lucky you - and also the time and energy to fight your way past the thousands of other wannabe pros, as well as a deep love for the game.

Maybe 10 years ago I could've done that but at this point it's not going to happen. Not without some big lucky breaks. There just isn't that much money in poker for 99% of the players, and hey, isn't that the point?

Even if you're elite in skill, again you'd need to sink a lot of time into playing and traveling - pro players hit the cash less than 40% of the games they play in. Variance is real and if you're not putting in the hours, you won't make the cash.

Good luck though, it's possible. But don't blame the world if you fail, it's a risk you have to take.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't have the temperament to play for anything but entertainment. As a retiree, I cannot afford to dedicate large sums of money to a poker bankroll. I usually take $500 to play in Las Vegas, or $250 to play in Niagara Falls. Trying to make a living from poker would be too stressful.