Do you think you can play poker for a living?

S

Stumperxxx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It would certainly be my dream but I know I have a lot of work to do to get to that point. From what I've learnt so far there is so much more than winning a few tournaments to be "good" man I get on a roll for a week up a cpl grand then boom 2 hours broke. I need to manage my emotions better. You would defiently have to have your head in the game everyday or else you won't be successful.

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to, but im not good enough, so I just play for fun

L

lvlalaciuca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think you can.I have much to learn but I think I can.That's the purpose.
for that I want to improve myself

T

Two6JJ

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think so but my empty fridge tells a disturbingly different tale. :D

B

benspocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no not for me i`m to old plus i play for enjoyment

Fish2014

Fish2014

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
clear that if I think that playing live is where really see what being online poker player is very different these not watching gestures of players and play many more hands online which live for this reason there are many more bad beats

J

Jarod1231

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I could if I had the bankroll and moved to Vegas.. My main issue is I'm most profitable at MTT's... there isn't a constant stream of MTT's available in my area... and with the current lack of options for US players online .... and the constant issues involved with getting money into/out of the few sites available... quitting my job and attempting to play professionally in my region is not really viable

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not good enough to play for a living... It's just a recreational thing for me

A

alexis8888

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play small limits but God knows maybe I'll be ok if I had enough money,

P

ProPoker723

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just need to know when to stop

I play slowly with patience, win what roughly you would like to earn in a day, set a limit, then call it a day. Have a good bankroll and play only with 5% or less if possible. don't bluff too much, only when the right circumstances come or good players will take you to the cleaners.

Nobody is a world beater and tiredness can kill..

olfabiolo

olfabiolo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion I think it has to yes, but for this the player must already be a regular advanced level for this to occur in a safe and sustainable way.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is not so easy to live poker at first, you need good results and a family to let them do that to you every day since you have to try to play well, quiet and no nerves. regards

aslanvanacha

aslanvanacha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
money or fun

=According to me i start to play poker for fun but when i won 4 dollars it became for me like poket money....so it up to you my friends/...:)

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually did quite intesive thinking and calculation on this subject and I got following results:
- yes, I could have poker as source of income, enough for living
- but I actually make 3-4 times more money with my regular job
- and yes, I can increase poker income a lot byt working hard, studying etc.
- but the same applies to my regular job
- and poker is more fun then job now. But as source of income, lots of "funny" part of poker would go away

So I keep poker just as hobby, and work hard at my regular job.

diablo8

diablo8

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm sure most people who play poker have thought about playing for a living, but it takes a lot of dedication. If I was single, with no burdens (like most of the college guys/gals), maybe... but I'm enjoying the game as a hobby.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not have a lot of experience, to think about it. As long as I play for fun. But it is possible that in the future I change my opinion. On the other side of my late years I dreamed about poker professionally. This is the inheritance younger

DanielSnrL

DanielSnrL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Currently I think it's much more difficult to live with poker winnings when you are a beginner. There is very weak players and the variance is much higher than 10 years ago. I regret not having taken seriously poker when I started playing in 2006. Even at that time it was much easier than today. Now I returned to the game like I'm being swallowed by weaker hands. lol

S

subdylzep

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
done it before but it takes a ton of discipline!... DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE DISCIPLINE!!! I mean you better be ready to work 6 days a week for 12-15 hours each day, and thats just playing online. To play it for a living live you better be able to travel and you better be able to play the high stakes. When i say Discipline I mean basically BANKROLL MANAGEMENT. Set your %s and stick to them ALWAYS!.. especially if you play the same kind of poker all the time. For instance if you play 4% on MTTs dont all of a sudden think oh i lost 3 in a row im gonna win this one and play for 10% or get scared and play for 1%. Then when you cash you wont get paid what you deserve, and if you play the 10% and lose you'll end up moving your stack down much quicker than you need to and might not be able to survive a downswing. and believe me i went on a 9 month downswing playing 14 hours a day 6 days a week.. not fun. And that was cashing in 29% of my tournaments played! which is great, but most of the time i didnt play high enough stakes to make enough money, but did profit plenty and my ROI was fine. You really dont have to be that great of a poker player as long as you are disciplined and stick to your %s. I use 4% MTT, 7% SNG, and 50-100 max buy ins for Holdem cash, double it for omaha cash. Those who ive talked to in vegas say u should have 100 max buy ins and 200 max buy ins for omaha. This way you are never playing w scared money and can take the swings needed to continue playing well. If you cash in 15% of your MTTs you should be fine as long as they are high enough stakes. Gl in the future and if you want to play for a living make sure you are disciplined.

M

MidMoMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes - as long as I don't need to eat, drink, have a roof over my head, or need clothes, transportation, etc. If I don't need any of that, then pro poker is a snap. :(

SBEP

SBEP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever since i start playing poker it was my goal to be able to make a living from poker alone, at this moment i cant say that i am there yet, but i am getting closer with each passing month, so far i get like 1 extra salary or what i earn at my day job, but not every month, soon as i start making 2-3 times what i earn from my day job in a month from poker, ill consider i am already living from poker, but untill then i have a lot to learn and grind to get there.

E

ELDONKOII

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you looking for the online dream it is getting almost impossible because everyone thinks they are a poker player...if you want to try id suggest not taking any bonuses or offers make 1 good size deposit and try remember your BR m anagement and take things easy, iuve been playing live for 2 yrs now and got by nothing major but a good time and a wage (just) altho ive never played more than 800 euro buy in mos averaging around the 30/50 mark my ITM is around 42% which for live average 100 field i think is really good , online i play for fun i dont deposit anymore really a few quid here and there.. if you really serious stick in there and remember AK is only AK 22 beats u every time never overplay your hands patience and timing is the key to making money... my average net profit yearly for all the time ive played poker is only 5k but thats all buyins all travel all food expenses etc... so Ive had a pretty good run just dont give up.

F

Fr0Man

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think most people have the time or patience to be a pro player. To actually feel comfortable with fluctuations in money, because even the best players to go on huge downswings, you have to be in a good position where no one really has to rely on your income besides yourself. Mostly it is a hobby that every one wants to make a little money doing:) Of course it is possible, but must be really lucky, and to learn poker and think you have a chance to go pro soon after is really ridiculous.

F

Fr0Man

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
....I say lucky because some of the time i think some pro players won a huge tourney when they don't have a huge skill difference. Then they are just set for life on buy-ins. Moneymaker.

sunirico

sunirico

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
....I say lucky because some of the time i think some pro players won a huge tourney when they don't have a huge skill difference. Then they are just set for life on buy-ins. Moneymaker.

Apologies if I am going off topic but I feel compelled to say something. Did you see that game when moneymaker won? Go find it on youtube and do yourself a favour. Remember they shuved him on the main table, his first time, under the spot lights and cameras against all the star players and he totally crushed it!

I won't disagree with you that some players got lucky and got set for life but you can't honestly tell me moneymaker didn't deserve to win! Go watch that game!