Do You think You Can do What Chris fergusson did?

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must of been playing without BR management the whole time to achieve such a feat. :)

No not really. At the start yes. In fact, when i had about 15$ i actually was intending to quit the site and went onto a NL50 table i think but ended up coming away with about 45$ and figured i might as well continue. I played cash for quite a while and was rolled fine until i decided to do full buy in to NL20 with ~200 BR. Technically that isn't good BR management, HOWEVER, i felt (and correctly given the circumstances) that buying in for full was less dangerous to my BR than buying in for double the min etc because the odds of losing a buy in was much lower. I should have been playing NL10 but i thought that it was safe enough to play NL20 and that the profits would be significantly more. I then started playing SnGs. I played 5$ SnGs for quite some time with a BR of 300-500 (i can't really remember) then started 10$ 10 man SnGs and hit a hot run where i made about 300$ very quickly (finishing positions were pretty much 1 1 1 2 out out out 1 1 1 out out etc). And then once i hit about 700-800$ i started 20$ SnGs (mainly HU). 20$ were pretty variable, and sometimes i'd lose quite a bit but i also had several 100$+ days. I also started playing cash games more near the end (which i should have probably stuck with as i made alot more playing cash than i did in SnGs overall). 1000$ in a month is only about 30$ a day...not really that much of a feat once you have a bit of a BR behind you. And also i only made 850$ total in the month as i said due to a horrible/tilty run at the end of the month.

But then like i said, i tried it again (actually 2 times now that i think about it). First was with 15$, and i had made that to 70$ and then by accident joined a $50 HU game instead of a 5$ HU game (yes im an idiot who can't read) so that was the end of that. Second i actually did literally start from freeroll earnings by winning about 2$ in a points freeroll (only one i played however, i was trying to burn off a few points). I got that to 30$ (using terrible BR management mind you) then was able to add 75$ from points cash in. However, the grind at the low stakes was just too frustrating for me and i ended up tilting it off. I was running very very poorly and was sick of hovering around 100$ BR and having to play 5$ games. In hindsight i should have just withdrawn because i really no longer had any desire to play at that site so losing my BR didn't worry me enough.

KenFischer

KenFischer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i go back to that site, i will deposit a large amount and just play until i have worked off the bonuses (very nice first 200% first deposit bonus comes around occasionally) then shut it down.

Before someone sees this and thinks "wow, what a great idea - I should do that", they should understand that it is against the rules to do so.

The bottom line is, this is in violation of policy at nearly every site. First deposit bonuses are for new customers - opening an account, clearing the bonus (or having the referral paid out to an affiliate), and then opening another one account is asking for them to come after you for fraudulent behavior.

I know this is off-topic, and I apologize for the hijack, but a lot of new people trust CC as a source of good advice and this is a case where the advice is bad.

P

pkrook

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hmmm i don't...

think i can pull it off. uh no.

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before someone sees this and thinks "wow, what a great idea - I should do that", they should understand that it is against the rules to do so.

The bottom line is, this is in violation of policy at nearly every site. First deposit bonuses are for new customers - opening an account, clearing the bonus (or having the referral paid out to an affiliate), and then opening another one account is asking for them to come after you for fraudulent behavior.

I know this is off-topic, and I apologize for the hijack, but a lot of new people trust CC as a source of good advice and this is a case where the advice is bad.

What the hell are you talking about? I have never deposited at that site (the $10 was a free sign up bonus) and if i want to take advantage of the first deposit bonus, then clear the bonus and no longer continue playing at the site that is absolutely my perogative. I currently have 0.00$ at that particular site...who are you to tell me that depositing and using the first deposit bonus is fraudulent?

I presume you are suggesting that i would open a new account and try to get the first deposit bonus again. I suggest that you don't make assumptions about a particular post before making absolutely ridiculous claims about the integrity of somebody's advice.

Emperor IX

Emperor IX

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well after 8 months I'm 5% of the way there and still working on it. I think it's very possible to do it. It's at least nearly impossible to fail with proper BR management.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BOB TIGER IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER

AlexeiVronsky

AlexeiVronsky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For anyone who is good at poker and has some outside source of income I think 0->10k is a very bad idea, there's no point to it.
You can make $50 working for at most 10 hours at a department store or whatever, or better yet join a focus group they'll give you $100 at least usually for 2 hours just telling them some BS, rather than spending 100+ hours trying to build up a roll from nothing.
If, on the other hand, you lack experience at poker it's probably not terrible to grind out a bankroll from freerolls as you get a bit of experience at how the game works, but you'd still likely be better off just playing minimal amounts of cash since people play semi-rationally when they have to pay so you'll learn more skills you'd have to learn later anyhow, probably costing you your roll earned at freerolls anyhow. And if you're just starting out I'd say poker books (even if it's the public library's crappy selection) are probably a better expenditure of your time and resources than grinding it out at the beginning to learn the basics of play.

I've started out with low amounts of cash twice $34 and $2, when I first started playing and then after coming back to playing after a couple years break, and it's so much easier to build a roll with even the $34 than the $2 that I firmly believe it's in the best interests of a decent player to make at least a small deposit. For the $2 after 176 games I was only at $28.63 from playing $.55 ultra turbo STTs (not the best choice probably, but it worked since I'd have limited time to play and I suck at cash games,) I threw BRM at that point, playing $5 and $10s and built it up to $179 in the next 16 tourneys as I had a deposit method available to me at that point in case I went bust, and it's been growing nicely since then. The point of all that is (aside from bragging :) that you're going to make a lot more money more quickly if you have even a small bankroll to start with if you know how to play decently well. For people who don't know how to play well freerolls or the lowest stakes you can find might be more advisable of course.

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As often as I''ve tried, I have never yet succeeded in slicing a banana with a thrown playing card. No, wait...........different Chris Ferguson task. Nevermind.

DaFrench1

DaFrench1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm up to 1k from 0 so far. I reckon it definitely can be done and probably could be done a lot quicker than I have gone about it. I used to play on way too many sites (where's the next free-roll, where's the next free-roll, wagga wagga), and also what I love is tournament poker. Chris Ferguson basically made the majority of his BR through playing cash games which I have rarely flirted with other than LHE. Cash games are (in theory at least) going to provide a more constant income than tournaments which are very hit and miss, but far more fun.

I reckon that sticking to 1 site and playing only cash games, it is probably very do-able within a reasonable timeframe. BR management and having the discipline to step down limits when required is and has always been the key to not going bust.

My personal goal is to get 1k on each of the 5 sites I have narrowed myself down to playing, playing only tourneys, though not just NLHE, I like a bit of variety. I don't really care how long it takes to get there.

Good luck to the rest of you grinders out there.

Last edited:
Alon Ipser

Alon Ipser

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As often as I''ve tried, I have never yet succeeded in slicing a banana with a thrown playing card. No, wait...........different Chris Ferguson task. Nevermind.

Have you seen where someone removes one card from the deck and then Chris goes through the deck looking at each card once and when he is done he can tell you which card has been removed. He is amazing.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do i think i can do it? YES, can i do it? Probly not.
I tryed this a few months ago but gave up and figured i rather just play with my deposit but a few day ago i startit again on another site and im up to 17$. Will this 17$ go to 1k or 10k or 100k probly not but maby i will manage to build a nice BR there

F

Fryd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Just want to know, do u really and that goes to from the novice to the aveage to the above average player do u believe that u can do what he did, make nothing into something, so big?

I did it - just tooke me 5 years:D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do strongly believe that there are many players here at CC who have the ability to do this, or similar. I also believe that there are several players who are well on the way to achieving the goal of making decent money playing poker on a regular basis.

Personally, I think the biggest challenge isn't having the skill to win regularly, it is having the courage to get to $1,000, $2,000 or $5,000 and risking larger amounts - and sometimes losing - and keeping to your goal and not taking the money and running.

T

tendertube

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I can, Ithink I can, I think I can. Just not in the same time frame. I have never deposited and now have $100+ on 3 different sites.

C

cajinstorm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to say that I can be a pro, but usually people with the determination can be whatever they wish. It's in some people's DNA to want to be the best. As for me, I'm just having fun.

C

cparker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying Ferguson's challenge out. Its fun to see if you can follow in the footsteps of a giant :).

I've just gotten enough money from freerolls to start playing cash games and SnGs, but I still gotta learn how to make money from these games.

theskillzdatklls

theskillzdatklls

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
back in the days (last winter) where you had to get top 27 in a 10,000 person hubble (pre-turbo, this took 7 hours to accomplish) i then scored 80 cents off a weekly round 2. so far i've turned it into 1.15k (and withdrawn $400 meanwhile, so total earned = 1.55k). getting to 10k would be possible, but i can't imagine the hours it would take.. getting here took long enough.

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I do strongly believe that there are many players here at CC who have the ability to do this, or similar. I also believe that there are several players who are well on the way to achieving the goal of making decent money playing poker on a regular basis.

Personally, I think the biggest challenge isn't having the skill to win regularly, it is having the courage to get to $1,000, $2,000 or $5,000 and risking larger amounts - and sometimes losing - and keeping to your goal and not taking the money and running.

The main problem to this Geessho has pointed out, having the mental ability to bet in larger amounts with confidence. Looking at this amount with thoughts of 'I could buy this or that, perhaps pay the rent with this much money, etc." is a cold hard fact that will occur. That changes money at the table from chips to scaired money and no one can play well when they are affraid to lose. From here there are two questions to ask.."can I afford to risk it?" and "Do I have the mental ability to play my A game with this much money?" Only you can answer those questions and if neither one is no then change your goal to something more suitable.

I also think that being used to dealing with larger amounts of cash in life experiences plays heavily on how one preforms at higher levels. If you're used to dealing in business transactions of thousands of dollars in or out of your own pocket the game will be easier. If you're not then be extra carefull that you don't run into playing afraid and out of very solid BR management. If you can do this than anything is possible.

Last word of advice, if you have to reload then you are way off course and should stop now! I've seen far too many people do one reload after another never making a profit due to a gambling addiction they refuse to acknowledge. Bank Roll Management is critical to every player and must be followed or you'll end up broke or worse. (last guy I heard of was a preacher, blew all his money + 180K of the churches money playing poker online. He stated " I know I can win it all back real soon!" as defence in court but now spend his time behind bars... No Joke, it was all over the local news)

If you're going to try this print out Chris's article and follow it by the numbers, don't deviate! Mark down dates and times when each goal is achieved and be very patient. Use Poker Tracker, you can't deny the facts it shows.

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might be delusional, but I think I could do it. But, I might have to start over a few times, and it might take me ten years. :)

J

johoyo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually i did it already, started with 0, and i now have a bankroll of about 17k. It took me abouth 14 months to get to the 10k mark.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually i did it already, started with 0, and i now have a bankroll of about 17k. It took me abouth 14 months to get to the 10k mark.

Nice job man,what site did u do this on?