Do you think you can be professional and lead a life playing poker?

E

ekgbeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, it is all about your personal character, not your profession that determines if you are a "professional". There are plenty of CEOs of global companies that people think are "professional", but are truly horrible people. Be who you are and do what you love to do.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It can be done,it happens all the time,a no name comes up. Its about practice makes perfect. I do alright whenever i play online or live. I gotta master the online better because its totally different than live action. Good luck.

kisjanik24

kisjanik24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hello

we think a lot of us are able to play at the same level as the big names only we don't play big to catch us the media unfortunately we need big capital to win

soLdaTeS88

soLdaTeS88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anything is possible if you set a goal and strive for it, improve yourself, improve your game.

martinlgs

martinlgs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It can be taken as an alternate profession at the beginning and you have to dedicate 50 and 50 to solve some things, later if it progresses very well you have to take it as the main profession and invest if it leaves you profit; really the percentage of successful players are very few, it is a risky profession where you have to prepare

JOSEALBERTV

JOSEALBERTV

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I could be a professional since as everything needs a lot of study, dedication, commitment and discipline, and I feel that I have the ability to achieve it, but I am a father of a family, I have other commitments and other occupations of which I am very proud, but that I do not let him. sideways, simply little by little, one step at a time without haste, in this way you also get there, while I enjoy it to the fullest and prepare myself according to my possibilities

J

johnmaltz19

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's what I think, I guess it is very hard but nobody could stop me for what I want. As the saying goes "If it is easy everybody would be doing it".

I

IOIW

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think you could? Would you be able to face the responsibilities that this discipline entails? On the other hand, for you, what makes you professional? habits? Factors? I'm interested to know what they think

I thought about it and still thinking ;) :)

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely not. I have too much bad luck. Yesterday I went all in because I had a straight and a guy bought a full-house on the river. A lot of things like that happen to me, so I would not make a living out of poker. All I can hope for is not losing too much.

G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone could, but it takes time and dedication.
Its an mind sport, in that case everyone who dedicates and develops a great mindset can be a great poker player
But it will take time
For exemple, João Simão, a pro from brazil. He played for 10 years (full time, not as hobby) untill he gots he's first big hit on a high roller MTT (10k buy in). Plus the time that he was a begginer / take poker as a hobby
He failled 10 times (-140k), had to play a lot of 50-300 USD buy ins to revorer from the losses (with an 30% ROI, its about 5000-6000 games)
I'm a medical student in Brazil. I'll only be able / allowed to work and make money from that after 6 years of studying. Then make more money after some years of residence. Every job is the same. To you become great you have to dedicate. There is a lot of competition. Nobody was born with a poker/ lucky gift from gods. Maybe one in 10000 poker pros started playing poker and become pro in months, but its something that doesnt happen
And we are very lucky. Imagine poker 20 years ago, without online poker. You live in a small town that has one place to play. No freerolls, no online websites/ videos that you can learn from. The old school guys are legends

Last edited:
G

Gusborgs22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely not. I have too much bad luck. Yesterday I went all in because I had a straight and a guy bought a full-house on the river. A lot of things like that happen to me, so I would not make a living out of poker. All I can hope for is not losing too much.

Its not about the lucky
Maybe one hand you got AA and lost for 22
Sometimes you get into a cooller
But its not every time, not everygame
Pros usually plays a lot of hands in one day. Playing for 8-14 hours a day, 1 hand every minute. 1 hand will not make the diference in the long term
Now, if you play as a hobby, in a sunday made a deposit to play the Sunday Million for exemple, and you got bad lucky, its part of the game. Doesnt mean that you cant become a pro. If you are a pro, in a sunday, you are playing like 10 tables simultaneously. You got one bad beat but you still alive in another 9 MTTs running (not to mention the ones you've played / will play)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Not in a million years! Being a professional poker player is a lot harder than people realise, traveling to different venues on the Poker circuit, living out of a suitcase, all the exspence of hotels and flights, not the life for me.
I play Poker because it is a fun game, a hobby, and nothing more, I do not really care if I win or lose, it is all part of the game, but to depend on it for my lively hood, just does not appeal to me in the slightest.
I am able to play without it costing me a single penny, and I can play everyday if I wanted to, or stop for weeks or even months, if I wished to.
When you decide to become a professional, it takes all that away from you, and it becomes another job, just like any other, it stops being a fun game and becomes a form of work.
No Thanks! I will stay as I am.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

Vitorbismark

Vitorbismark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
nowadays I am not going to achieve this. a player suffers a lot until he becomes a professional, I cannot dedicate myself 100% to poker, I am building a career in another area.

T

Tomek416

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not about the lucky
Maybe one hand you got AA and lost for 22
Sometimes you get into a cooller
But its not every time, not everygame
Pros usually plays a lot of hands in one day. Playing for 8-14 hours a day, 1 hand every minute. 1 hand will not make the diference in the long term
Now, if you play as a hobby, in a sunday made a deposit to play the Sunday Million for exemple, and you got bad lucky, its part of the game. Doesnt mean that you cant become a pro. If you are a pro, in a sunday, you are playing like 10 tables simultaneously. You got one bad beat but you still alive in another 9 MTTs running (not to mention the ones you've played / will play)

For now it is just a hobby for me, but maybe some day I could become something of a pro, but I would probably have to study poker strategy a lot. Without some effort I don't think I can accomplish that. I have enough time to do it, so maybe I was to quick to rule it out.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

yes I think so ... but I still have a lot to learn ... improve my game and skill ... I am training myself as I play I am polishing my game in making decisions and others and I am improving a lot I think that at any moment I take the leap but it is having patience perseverance not everything comes out overnight it is long term this but I will achieve it greetings ...

flail1

flail1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Although that lifestyle seems very appealing, I could not keep up with the grind as playing a few games recreationally per week is plenty. Plus I could not get over the huge bankroll swings - I like security and certainty in my life.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No but I still enjoy the game and will keep on playing.

RagNar87

RagNar87

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
you need to be really good for this

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not a chance, im not that devoted to poker

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
For me it not possible. There are a lots of reasons for my thought. At first there is my family situation. If have a young son and he needs a lot of attention. So my time is very limited. So there is less time to getting better and to show the knew skills on the tables. I have only a short window in the evening to play poker and develop my game. Another part is the support of my girlfriend. She hates it if i playing poker. So there is no support and understanding for my hobby. Also the not plannable income is not good for a family mood. And if you must win some big cashes to feed the family the pressure makes me not better. And im to bad that these short window of time would be enough to develop my game and win some important cashes. For me its fun and the challenge to getting better and win some freeroll money.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One day I will become a professional and I will play expensive tournaments every day) Every day I will order a pizza of burgers for myself, it's cool. You don't have to cook you need extra money

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the moment I only play poker recreationally, I am not considering doing it professionally. Although you never know what the future holds

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am personally a long way off from being a professional, but I think most people can probably do it with enough time invested. The question is whether it is the best use of your time to attempt that route in life. Poker is an hard way to make an easy living, as the philosophers say.

niphon56

niphon56

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If one work hard enough, every thing should be possible. :)