Which do you think is tougher to do...

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you serious?TOUGH LAYDOWN!I keep thinking about it for at least a round :p!

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually laying a good hand down can be difficult but once you have mastered it you will save alot of money.

Once you find out the information from betting, taking the next step and processing the given info is the true test.

doops

doops

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to have a harder time making the gutsy call, but now laying down a good hand is usually harder. But it has to be a really good hand -- laying down KK when an A hits the flop and there's action is not that hard.

It depends on how my game is going at the time. Sometimes I feel lucky...

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Case in point >>> in today's CC Fulltilt $2 variety game... early levels I sit down at table 10mins. late reg., first hand dealt is JJ in Utg. I opt to limp in with intentions of calling a raise & re-assessing on the flop as to how I will proceed.
A Tight 'solid' player in Utg+1 (^) raises to 90 (3x), Btn (Tag w tendancy to over-value hands, esp. in early levles) calls... SB calls (decent player), I call.
Flop comes 7-6-6. I decide to lead out for 240 mostly concerned with Utg+1 as I'm thinking I might be wb an overpr., but not really worried about the others although always a possibility of 7-7 out there.
I figure leading out 240 should show some decent strength as it is a 4way flop. Utg+1 MinRaises to 480 (this has me concerned.... are they thinking my bet was just bs into a 4way pot?.. a MinRaise in a spot like this with two players left to act would have one assuming some real kickass strength... if it were HU, then it could also easily mean they just don't believe my azz.. and want to see how I respond.. BUT.. this is a 4way pot with 2 players yet to act!!!!!).
BTN re-raises allin... SB folds.... back to me w JJ which is really not looking good... and imo now is a fold (maybe this isn't a good example of a 'tough fold'.. cuz it looks pretty easy to me... maybe I'm just hijacking this thread here???).
I fold.. Utg+1 snapcalls.. & shows 88.... Btn shows 88.. wtf??
I wonder if they chose 'gutsy call' on here (hang on.. let me check)..... oh.. it 'used to be making a gutsy call' (but depends on if they're feeling lucky, hee hee.. perhaps they had a similiar read on Btn too...??).
I thought for sure I was up against a hand that had me smoked??? (oops.. sorry for the hijack, lol)... it was kinda relative though as some of the players in the hand have already commented on this thread.

M

maolitas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, I think laying down is often harder :)

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough laydown... because you always wonder if you made the right decision afterwards.

TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will also have to say laydown all my invested money in the pot is lost and as salim said you always wonder if you made the right decision.

bunnygirl

bunnygirl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I recon gutsy call is more effective, defiantly will see some action.

Sean Pilgrim

Sean Pilgrim

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find it harder to make the right laydown. But it's always nice when you make a tough laydown and someone shows you their monster so you know you made the right play.

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me its the call. Laying down something when I am playing good isn't that much of a problem.

ozboyy

ozboyy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gutsy call

Well for me a gutsy call is the toughest, but by the fact that the hands you don't play define your overall game, it is really a coin toss!!;)

gnk2727

gnk2727

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that when you learn to make the hard laydown, thats when youre poker game can move to the next level. Its easier to call when you have money in the pot already, its much harder to fold and not chase thereby giving up what you put in the pot. Most of you may not realize it but this can be one of the difference makers in making you either a winning player or a losing player.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion gnk is right, one of the most important weapons in your arsenal is knowing when to fold and more importantly actually folding, harder than it sounds.

Hero calls are great when they work but you are also showing the rest of the table you will make dangerous calls.

My favourite was live where I folded KK face up on a jack high rainbow, luckily he showed the set of jacks, when asked why all I could say was I knew I had lost.

dwolfg

dwolfg

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's the gutsy call. My mentality is to be the aggressor, therefore calling for me is in a majority of situations the least profitable play. Also in my mind is that it is better to be bluffed out of a pot here and there rather than develop that call call call mindset and become a calling station.

J

j_unatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"gutsy call" is harder especially when you feel it is really close like when you know you are probably ahead but they have a lot of outs to improve (most likely in tournaments). The tough fold is not that hard really I mean when I am on my game I dont put myself in a lot of those situations where I need to make them, the main thing is just over time you need to learn how to not get caught up thinking your 2nd or 3rd is the nuts and cant be beat. When you are off your game the tough fold happens the least cause you may be just calling in places that you normally may easily lay down. I believe this is different for everyone but more of the more experienced players that are confident in thier reads will say the "gutsy" call even the a majority will most likely go with the "tough" fold.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough Laydown is much harder than Gutsy Call. I've done both of them on a single cash table, single session. You hear many gutsy call and sick call stories where they won a pot but you never hear many stories of someone talking about tough laydown because they never lay their hands down when they should've.

tomh7795

tomh7795

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough laydown is easier then a gutsy call. I've folded 44 on kk10 4 board. Been looking for that hand in my hand history for hours. When I find it I'll show you. Best feeling in poker is making a good fold and your opponent shows u the nuts. He shows 1010 and I felt like a champ lol.

KyleJRM

KyleJRM

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The call.

It's not that hard for me to make a laydown if I need to, at least not emotionally. But who wants to call with an awful hand and look like an idiot when they have it?

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can hear thousands of jackasses bragging or talking about gutsy calls backed by their balls. But you don't hear many stories about laydowns because those same jackasses don't know how to fold and cannot make a right decision about laying down their hand. Anyone can call. Any loose-passive players can call with Ace high or better. It takes true skills to lay down monsters when they feel that they're beat. You can see thousands of idiots calling with bottom pair or less and win the pot but you cannot see many monster laydowns that are beaten by better monsters.