Which do you think is tougher to do...

brianvoytek

brianvoytek

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
....make a tough laydown or gutsy call?

Both have their moments, but which overall is THE toughest.

NicolasWSOP

NicolasWSOP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, making a tough laydown is the harder of the two.
I know that I've already put alot money in the pot, and then having to fold is just heart wrenching.

C

chattin35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think tough call because it is much more read dependant and you have to really trust your instincts. Ie: if you're sitting in position with 10's on a J4729 rainbow board and facing a psb from a tight EP raiser, you gotta go with your gut read on your opponent - snap off those missed AK AQ hands.

I usually just chalk it up to a cooler and call w/my straight when the flush card hits on the riv though. Haha, maybe this is a leak.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey brianvoytek, long time no read >>> good ???.

For me, the tough laydown would be the one, for the same reason as NicolasWSOP...& sometimes my cards look oh so very pretty :p.

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

No contest at all. Tough laydown everytime. Probably cause I always have the best hand :rolleyes:

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Laydowns win, I've seen some great calls but way sicker laydowns.

R

rodpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also think that the tough laydown is always harder for me personally. I don't know why, but it just seems easier for me to call having already put the money in than to concede the loss and lose the money without being sure I actually lost the hand. It doesn't really make much sense but that's how my brain is wired; I just "gotta see" that I'm really beat. It's not a good habit to get started and hard to shake off.

KoRnholio

KoRnholio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me... a tough fold. It just seems worse/harder to fold and lose out on a big pot, rather than to take a shot at calling light when getting laid odds on the call.

blackmax

blackmax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
has to be a tough laydown ...expecially when the a hole shows you a bluff hand.I suppose a tough call is hard indeed but letting go of a potential winning hand is murder!Great question by the way but it has to be the laydown for me.

Numbuh 0ne

Numbuh 0ne

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely ever show down anything that I think is marginal especially if the guys is good and plays it right. So for me it has to be the gutsy call.

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me, making a tough laydown is the harder of the two.
I know that I've already put alot money in the pot, and then having to fold is just heart wrenching.

Im the same, but it's allways nice to make that hero fold. Icing on the cake when they show u and let u know u've made the right fold lol.

N

nupryn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'd say tough laydown, but if i've rationalized it in my head that it's a good fold based on a read or the board, i get over it after a few hands. i guess it works the other way too...i can rationalize whether i can make the hero call. i guess it's whether i want everyone at the table to know i made a donkey call or whether one guy knows i made a donkey fold. heh.

X

Xavier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me laying down a strong hand is much harder than calling with a medium stength hand.
I do have some calling station moments myself where I really know the odds are my hand is beaten but I still call anyway to show down.

P

Pavster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laydown for me. With a call you get rewarded with info win or lose. With a laydown, more often than not, you replay the hand wondering whether it was right or not.

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i seem to be the minority, but I find it harder to make a gutsy call. Maybe I give them too much credit for hands, but I just feel really dumb when I make that river call and the guy has a monster.

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd probably have to consider them both equal. I know that's a sit on the fence response but I think the tough fold shows up much more than the gutsy call so maybe I've gotten use to it more.

lektrikguy

lektrikguy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy answer-making a tough fold. One of the biggest holes in my game is that I'm a gambler to the bone and put my money out there when I might not have the best hand, so a gutsy call is easy for me.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A gutsy call is harder for me, mainly because the risk is much higher.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough fold is harder for me as well, especially if it's before the turn and/or river. I've been in so many situations when I have top pair or top two pair on the flop, and someone pushes all in and I read a weaker hand with a draw. I tend to make that call, knowing I currently have them, then usually get sucked out on. It's hard to fold top pairs and especially sets when you know the person doesn't even have a straight or flush yet.

xXSmuggla

xXSmuggla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

A tough laydown is much harder than a gutsy call. With a gutsy call you make more of a read on your opponent, which is something I do well. However laying down AK, or a face pocket pair is really hard to lay down when your facing a tight villian who is rasing heavy when I already have money in the pot.

StormRaven

StormRaven

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most definitely making the tough laydown!!!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on who your opponent is.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The 'gutsy call' (I don't usually make a 'gutsy call' ever... it pretty much is always a well-thought out decision).
Tough laydowns.... I make them often. I know I fold the best hand quite often (especially in CC games).

dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laying down a good hand is much tougher. It's easier to make a tough call, because many times you will be playing against loose opponents who may be bluffing. The smaller the stakes, the tougher it gets to lay down a good hand. I almost never fold pocket aces in the micro stakes, even if I know I should. I think when you move up in stakes, it becomes easier to lay down the good hand, but much easier to make a tough call, because you oftentimes suspect a bluff.
:)

B

BenLZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Making a gutsy call for me is harder. I usually get a sense of when I think I'm beat, but making a tough call really makes me think about my opponent and bet sizing and the history of the hand...It can really be excruciating.