Do You Think Poker Causes You Anxiety?

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I confess that I am very anxious when I am playing poker, I was always expecting a good hand and when I don't come I get upset.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I understand that your anxiety is not playing poker, but the need to have good hands for the game. some techniques help to reduce anxiety, work on breathing, listen to music, watch movies, and even physical exercises can alleviate the tension of the game. good luck.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker and make sports bets and I notice that both make me feel a little bit more anxious than usual, specially moments before of the event/tournament starts.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly. Anxiety is generated by you either playing poker or in any other activity in which you engage. Getting back to the point, the answer would be, yes. I think that poker can generate anxiety and is the most normal thing, that is the fact that the players who play live cover their eyes, and cover their body language, anxiety plays a crucial role, for me the more you can control your anxiety the better you will play in the game. It also reminds me, it's like when you get angry, it will also go bad for you in the game and any aspect of your life. Regards.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I am worried if i do not have time to register for the game, and the site slows down...
And almost 50% starting hands for me are good :D
P.S. But i mean preflop ))

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Maybe you are taking too much of a risk. Apparently this means that you are playing for money that you can not afford to spend. Obviously, players who do not follow the basic principles of bankroll management get negative emotions and frustrations.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
May be in the bubble part, but not in all tournament. Depend of the bankroll i think

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I confess that I am very anxious when I am playing poker, I was always expecting a good hand and when I don't come I get upset.

Hello.
Poker gives me pleasure, and causes me only positive emotions. Try meditation, it will allow you to stay calm and focused.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

No. You generate anxiety.

Externals cannot be "good" or "bad" in themselves. In this same way they cannot be "anxiety" "depression" etc. They can be triggers for you, but you are creating the anxiety.

I advise you start a study of philosophy, to begin the process of self study/improvement. After you begin this practice, you should be able to get to the root of what is making you anxious. Perhaps you are risking too much for your comfort?

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If of course and more when we create false expectations in the game or we do not have patience, that creates a lot of anxiety for wanting to wait for a good hand or wanting to recover the money lost due to variance of the game creates anxiety.

B

BOMDEBLEF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes not only anxieties have a moment, anger also has to know how to control oneself

3gdata

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup, it generates anxiety for a bit. But after several years, it gives you wisdom and teaches you to stay patient in almost every situation :)
OFC, there're always bad days when you have a terrible mood and still have to play. And it sucks, of cause. But it still feels not that bad if you've been playing for years. You just keep grinding and grinding.

It comes with experience. When you know you have seen almost everything in that game you don't even care about what happens at tables, you just play like a robot with a grin on your face and keep taking as much as possible from your opponents.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perhaps you allow yourself to play not on the bankroll? If you are not new to poker, then excessive excitement is very strange!

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it's the other way round, playing poker has made me a lot cooler in life.

M

mp3player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is how i lose in real life lol cuz i get anxious and people will call out my bluff.. thats why i play better on pc because no one can see your face lol

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
overanalysis causes anxiety..

The only sure cure for poker anxiety is certainty. If I have pocket AA, KK, QQ; I'm certain something is going to happen, could be good, could be bad, odds leaning in my favor, I'm going to make a major move.
If you only play the numbers, odds, etc. you will second guess yourself into paralysis; nothing is certain, until after the river.
MTT, get QJo, I decide to shove. Not the cards to shove on, but sometimes you have to defy the odds early in tournie, to get your chip stack going.
QJo ahove didn't work out, but at least I'll sleep easy. At least in the "we took a chance" loser's lounge, there isn't poker anxiety; they went for it, lost, shoulder shrug; maybe next time.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is bad to play like that because it will not generate profits and for the most part we all seek to make money and patience is essential, the worst thing is that not so good cards you will see them as great cards and several other aspects, perhaps experience little by little makes you change that feeling but it should be fast so as not to lose money:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Anxiety occurs on a case-by-case basis depending on one's temperament and needs. You have to find another way to counter it.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We must not allow unexpectedly lost hands to disturb our concentration and reduce our focus. It happens and we have to accept it and get over it in the most painless way.

Sariane

Sariane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that poker does generate anxiety, for some more and others less. anxiety when we can identify, we can control, with constructive thinking, and in poker what else is going to happen is the deck surprises us with the cards

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the excitement disappears with experience and game practice.at the moment, I feel the joy of winning hands and driving away defeats.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not call it anxiety, but stress...there is good stress and bad stress...losing your job or a loved one is bad stress...planning your wedding is good stress...the funny thing is that your body releases chemicals (cortisol) at times of stress, but cannot distinguish between good and bad stress...if you truly enjoy playing poker, the good stress you feel can be exhilarating...I remember playing at the wsop on the Cardschat team in the Colossus in 2019...it was stressful, yet invigorating...I remember feeling the electricity in the air...it was fun...and stressful. If you are truly feeling anxiety playing poker, perhaps you should seek another form of entertainment...for most of us, poker is a hobby, a game and should be fun...for the very small minority of players who make poker their primary source of income, it would be extremely difficult to avoid anxiety, especially given how little control you have over the outcomes.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only a person without feelings plays poker without worry, but that's my opinion.:)

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I play poker and do sports bets and I find that both make me feel a little more anxious than usual, especially moments before the event / tournament starts.:confused: