Do You Think Poker Causes You Anxiety?

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just get tired of it. I get tired of this mentally. You are waiting for a good hand, you are still waiting ... and finally it came - but it is with this hand that you lose to every trash card. I just turn off my computer so as not to see this dastardly horror.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes experiencing uncomfortable sensations is not very foreign to poker players. However, knowing how to face them and make the necessary adjustments is the solution in most cases. You should first ask yourself what causes you the most anxiety and then work on that. For example, if your anxiety consists of wanting to play your hand from preflop, you should study the hands that play the best for a certain sequence and from the position you are in.
If you already know that and anxiety invades you anyway, you should continue exploring internally to find the cause that generates it, but my advice is that you to temporarily move away from the tables, until you can solve that problem.
If you continue to play anxiously, you are giving your opponents too many game advantages, as you cannot think correctly. And this will inevitably have a direct impact on your results.
Greetings.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually just got a Fitbit a few weeks ago and it measure my heartbeat. At times, especially when I’m all in my heart rate jumps up, not quite as high as exercising but into my low “zone” range. Gets me minutes towards the 150 a week they recommend. Lol.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My biggest anxiety is when the river at pokerstars is coming :) It's just a game, no need to stress. Relax!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It is an escape from the routine for me. Of course it has moments with agony, because there are moments for critical decisions, but in the long term it is exciting.

AQA272

AQA272

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a comfortable bank roll of 100-150by-ins then do not worry about it just stick to your game strategy

GL!!!!!

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately, for some reason, yes ( And for crossings just (((

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just get tired of it. I get tired of this mentally. You are waiting for a good hand, you are still waiting ... and finally it came - but it is with this hand that you lose to every trash card. I just turn off my computer so as not to see this dastardly horror.

It is in this way that I use poker as a test of my own mental strength. You see...there are parallels to all "things." I used to get angry/frustrated/annoyed/etc. when playing poker. Poker is an "emotional game" in the sense that it brings out our own natural responses and emotions to highly anticipated events (i.e. the river card!).

Once you develop a personal practice and master your emotional responses to external events, it doesn't matter which event is trying to awaken anger/fear/frustration/etc., because your natural response has changed.

Master yourself and you master the universe. :)

P.S. You can also just play more poker too. Experience releases you from the pains of surprise blows.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only a person without feelings plays poker without worry, but that's my opinion.:)

This is a misconception.

Being "stoic" does not mean you are VOID of feelings.

Being Stoic, means you understand where your feelings come from and you watch (be with) them until they pass.

I'm connecting being Stoic with being able to play poker without anxiety.

P.S. I play poker without any anxiety for a few reasons.

The biggest reasons why are:

- I play within a limit that I am 100% comfortable with losing (even though paradoxically I am a very successful, winning player).

- I have enough experience with poker to be able to separate results from my evaluation of a situation (i.e. whether or not my bet/shove/call/etc. was proper or was there a better option/line to take?).

- I have enough philosophical/personal study to see reality much more clearly and understand what is within my control and what is not. *Hint* Only 1 "thing" is in your control.

OK, I think that is enough for now. :)

I wish you well and hope you start the most rewarding practice possible. :)

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
No never because i really play for fun......and i think its that why i love so much pokef

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I confess that I am very anxious when I am playing poker, I was always expecting a good hand and when I don't come I get upset.

Poker is such a thing, the main thing is to keep balance and control emotions.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is something I used to be terrible at and thanks to poker I’m maybe average now haha. Seriously though, the anxiety you describe to me OP sounds more like the feeling of pressure to win a hand. Perhaps studying patience/ as well as just playing more will help you with that, hope so! :)

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. How often you play, what are yours expectation. I just play for fun now, and only freerolls... its my hobby and dont cause nothing bad in me

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I do caused by other players. For example, when a player bets everyhand whatever cards they have. Sometimes it is frustrating to know what you should do.

Leeyonah96

Leeyonah96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can’t handle your mental health maybe yes it can cause you anxiety especially if you don’t have patience in games.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
hello

Unfortunately yes !!! It causes me a lot of anxiety ... it will be because of the ambition I have to achieve great things with poker!

pedrovitorcosta

pedrovitorcosta

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not for me... but i try make another somethink when i playng, like music or somethink like that

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Just a bit, depending on the kind or phase of the game.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My anxiety is created by myself thinking that I always have good hands and I crash with reality

YenRodriguez

YenRodriguez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes sir, anxiety is present most of all when I want to get good results at the tables, and when I'm playing short on bankroll. the hands are not usually given and when a good hand comes out the flop is wet and it is difficult to get any benefits.
Of course, there comes a time after a couple of hands (1 or 2 hours of play) the question drops a lot and you start to think clearly and see better the chances of winning!
that's in my particular.
good luck and regards.

J

Jalfi1978

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some times. It depends how I feel that day... :joyman:

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes sometimes it causes me anxiety, but everything is a matter of the mind and human control

INISHTE

INISHTE

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
Can be.

If you are not in control of your emotions, obviously you will be like that, but this game is for that, learn to control them.