Do you need a good IQ to play poker and win a lot?

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is not solely a game of intelligence, it's a game of skill, strategy, psychology, and discipline. Many successful poker players come from diverse backgrounds and possess various levels of IQ.

ghitocarcia

ghitocarcia

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
You need to have a degree of intelligence above normal if you want to become a regularly winning poker player.

AndyFio

AndyFio

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I personally believe that IQ affects the game of poker, because it requires critical thinking, analysis of information, which is much easier to do with a high IQ.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so, having a good Qi or not doesn't have much influence on poker

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Undoubtedly, personality and psychological factors are relevant in games of skill that involve discipline, willingness to learn, humility etc..

I'm not aware of anyone attempting to quantify how low someone's measured IQ could be while beating real money poker games in the long term. Hopefully poker can be enjoyed at all levels of ability, as people can play ultra micro stakes and free games if they prefer.

I've heard anecdotally that their are successful professionals who are of average intelligence.

Good Luck!

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that great wisdom is not necessary, but wisdom is always useful
Of course not. You don't need a good IQ to play poker. You just need to know how to use a PC. Do PC users need a high IQ level? ... I do not think so :)

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
With an IQ greater than 100, you simply see the poker game from a different perspective and this will not help you win the tournament, because the main joker is luck.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, it's important for me to be smart about all this, but it's also important to have luck

Only_player

Only_player

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Everything is very relative and a lot depends on how much you can earn in this way and at what limits) On micro limits there are many players who play only premium hands and they have a positive ROI%, although they win less than players who have bluffs and play more hands. In general, a person can be trained to play the simplest strategies like a machine, and it is not necessary to have some incredible intelligence. I myself am a person with an average statistical IQ, but at my microlimits I play better than 90% of the field of participants.
But of course players with more intelligence will have an advantage, it's just my opinion that this is not the main factor in being a successful poker player. Working with a coach, finding mistakes and then correcting them will help you play better than most amateurs who just like to look at color cards :)

jose_saleh

jose_saleh

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
You need a good IQ to success at most of things in the life, but that's not mandatory, even in poker, you just need certain types of intelligence

lifecoach22

lifecoach22

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Yes, you have to be good at the game to win at poker. To do this you need to have a developed mind

ElScorcho008

ElScorcho008

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You don't need to be extremely smart, but some basic math skills are definitely required to be successful

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
You definitely have to be smart because it's about making the best decisions in a short time!

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that great wisdom is not necessary, but wisdom is always useful
IQ and poker do not correlate in any way. In order to play poker, you just need to remember what an ace looks like. If you have an ace - you go all-in. In fact, everything is very simple, ask Brazilian players, they will advise you :)

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think it have advantajes but i dont believe its necesary.
I think if you have a normal iq and do your study and play u can win

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
All we need to be able to do is roughly estimate the odds of our hands (commonly called equity) against the expected range of our opponent. And the best way to do this is to remember the odds of some common situations.The next mathematical aspect of the game you should study is pot odds. Again, many players overcomplicate things here. We don't need exact odds. We won't have time for that given the pace of online poker.Poker is a math-based game, so you definitely need to have a strong understanding of the basics.

Achrarock

Achrarock

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
MA
Chips
While a high IQ can be beneficial for strategic thinking and decision-making in poker, success also depends on skills like reading opponents, understanding probabilities, and managing emotions. It's a combination of intellect and psychological insight that contributes to winning consistently.

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
Of course, it's essential, there are a lot of espots and each hand is different, no two hands are the same.

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The thing about poker is repetition. You have to play it every day for like a year, atleast one to two hours, and then you will maybe get a slight feeling in certain positions. Everyone just needs practice and thats all there is to it.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I believe that intelligence is not often the decisive factor here. I think the key lies in the time one dedicates or invests to understand the discipline and be competitive. In other words, if you are highly intelligent, you may likely find it easier to become a skilled player or comprehend concepts. However, someone not as fortunate can achieve the same with more invested time and effort. Being intelligent doesn't hold much value if you're unwilling to dedicate time to improve/learn and lack sufficient discipline.
That's how I see it.

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
In my humble opinion, people who have the wind in their head are unlikely to succeed in big tournaments or win big money in poker, so I will say yes, you need to have a good mind and analytical skills. Big IQ is not always a guarantee of success

kanogott

kanogott

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
You need not a high iq. But it could help you, do improve you game. If you would be a good player you must do a lot of research and studying and if you had good cognitive possibilities it helps you a lot ti getting better and better. Also the mental approach is very important.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Anyone with a treble figure IQ would give the game a miss.