Do you make a living with poker or is it just another game for you to entertain yourself with?

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I lived on poker for years, spending at least 8 hours a day doing just that. Now it's just fun, I play when I feel like it, it's better this way.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just play for fun, I never imagined myself playing professionally.

I don't really like my job, but I earn a relatively acceptable salary and I have stability, so I don't think about changing careers.

I also think that if I played poker professionally, it would definitely become an obligation and I wouldn't have as much fun.

M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For now it's for fun, but I'd like to be able to earn some money in the future.

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you make a living with poker or is it just another game for you to entertain yourself with?
For me, poker is primarily entertainment, a hobby. But poker is also a source of additional income for me. I make an average of 100-150 dollars a month. It's not enough to pay all my bills, but it's enough for beer for my friends :)

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
just gamble for fun. still have a day job

Funtast

Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I used to play it for a living more than a decade ago. Now as games are much tougher and I didn't play for a long period it's more of a hobby and for entertainment. However I didn't give up on learning and studying yet, so there might still be a chance to get back to fulltime one day. In contrast to that I see a lot of strange and not so nice things at and around the tables nowadays that weren't that much of an issue back then. Also in germany it became a lot harder to be a winning player due to regulations from the state. Less games can be played at the same time, only one provider at a time and four tables maximum is possible. And taxes. There were no taxes when I played full time, now germans pay more rake on every allowed provider as taxes. Back then you needed a solid RFI chart, pokertracker and 100% Cbet to be a winning player for example 😀

Pityesz1974

Pityesz1974

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
It would be nice to make a living from this, but for now so much is not going.I try to build a bankroll, but I always lose.

Rost

Rost

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker brings me income, but I actually play for fun. For me, poker is a hobby that helps me to distract myself from my work. Money is certainly cool, but the pleasure of playing and winning always comes first for me.

silentshowdown

silentshowdown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker can be fun and a way to make some extra cash. But making it a full-time job? I don’t think that’s a wise move. Like Doyle Brunson said, ‘Poker is a hard way to make an easy living.’

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
My dream is for this to happen, but I haven't realized it yet.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I shall reply simply and shortly: on the present time I make a living with Poker. Now is my basic business! Further Time shows!.. That's it!

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Currently it's a hobby. But someday I want to make a side hustle.

cracker

cracker

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If I tried to make a living playing poker I would starve to death, so it would be a good way to lose weight. One good thing about playing as a hobby is you can still play the occasional game against the pros and beat them.

ficticius

ficticius

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
EC
Chips
I haven't made a living from poker yet. But I am working hard to be able to live on it in the not too distant future

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Entertainment that brings me money, communication, new acquaintances.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
For me, I play poker seriously and have fun and improve my intelligence and concentration through this attractive game. However, I let the days and luck decide whether poker can change the level of my life one day.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When you add together the costs of housing, transportation, food, medical care, etc., it is very unlikely that poker will allow you to earn enough to not need another source of income. As has been said, the amount of grinding you'd have to do to have enough money from poker is not what most people are able to do.
While I'd love to win millions in some big tournament score (wouldn't that be fun), poker is a hobby that can sometimes earn me money. I have won more money playing poker than I have ever spent, but we're talking a very small amount of money in total!
It sounds like you have a realistic perspective on poker as a source of income. Indeed, while winning big in a tournament would be exciting, relying solely on poker income for everyday living expenses can be challenging. It's refreshing to hear that you view poker as a hobby that can occasionally bring in some extra cash. Balancing expectations and recognizing it as a supplementary income stream is a pragmatic approach. Not everyone may grasp the distinction between poker as a pastime and a full-time profession, so your perspective provides valuable insights. Have you found the overall experience of playing poker to be rewarding, even if it's primarily for enjoyment rather than substantial financial gain?

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds like you have a realistic perspective on poker as a source of income. Indeed, while winning big in a tournament would be exciting, relying solely on poker income for everyday living expenses can be challenging. It's refreshing to hear that you view poker as a hobby that can occasionally bring in some extra cash. Balancing expectations and recognizing it as a supplementary income stream is a pragmatic approach. Not everyone may grasp the distinction between poker as a pastime and a full-time profession, so your perspective provides valuable insights. Have you found the overall experience of playing poker to be rewarding, even if it's primarily for enjoyment rather than substantial financial gain?
Hi! Thanks for your kind words. I think, for me, playing poker this way is even more enjoyable. This is because I'm not stressing over my volume of play, or being obsessive over my wins/losses to see how well I'm doing. Decoupling playing poker from financial responsibilities is freeing, and lets me enjoy my play, take breaks when I feel like it, and avoid unnecessary pressure when playing. So poker is truly rewarding for me, in many important ways (intellectual and social fulfillment, to name two).

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I've been playing poker a long time ago, of course, I treated the game just like a game and had fun now I spend a lot of time playing poker because I want to make money playing poker for a living and I do everything I need to learn, I train, I hope in the future it will bear fruit and I will be able to make good money

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Personally, Poker is just a fun hobby and of course extra cash .

Top 10 Games