Do you make a living with poker or is it just another game for you to entertain yourself with?

ttorquemada

ttorquemada

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Do you make a living with poker or is it just another game for you to entertain yourself with?

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
It’s definitely for the entertainment for me. I’m glad I don’t have to play poker for a living and I respect all that do because I think it would be a tough grind. I play to be competitive so I do take it seriously when I am on the tables.

ttorquemada

ttorquemada

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Personally, just a evening hobby. Maybe some day i could make living from that, but not for now
So you would like to make a living from that but you don't have the necessary level yet? Or do you just not want to make a living from that?

ttorquemada

ttorquemada

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
It’s definitely for the entertainment for me. I’m glad I don’t have to play poker for a living and I respect all that do because I think it would be a tough grind. I play to be competitive so I do take it seriously when I am on the tables.
Why are you glad you don't have to make a living playing poker?

P

Peteski84

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Its a really entertaining way to pass my evenings.
I dont have the funding or time to aim for making a living.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Because it's a very hard way to make an easy living.

online poker is almost dead as a way to earn enough money to live on (at least in the "Western world").

And things look more and more negative every year with the development of more sophisticated RTS, RTA, AI , bots, and collusion.

It's only Live Cash games left and not everyone has an opportunity to do that as a full-time job.

Enjoy poker as a hobby and/or a social game.

But forget about being a professional poker player online. That opportunity went away for 99.9% of all players about 10 years ago.

M

misshailz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Entertainment for me. I enjoy entering satalites though to try get in the big money. I do fairly well but not hit the big money yet. Maybe one day lol. You need to pay high pools to make a living though

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me is just a hobby, but unlike my other hobbies, poker sometimes gives me an extra money :)

Inabit

Inabit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Just a fun hobby for me, don't think I would ever want to try and make it into a career and have to deal with the variance and uncertainty.

M

marius1980

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hobby for now but it will be great to earn some extra cash playing. For that I think I need consistency, time and patience....

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you add together the costs of housing, transportation, food, medical care, etc., it is very unlikely that poker will allow you to earn enough to not need another source of income. As has been said, the amount of grinding you'd have to do to have enough money from poker is not what most people are able to do.
While I'd love to win millions in some big tournament score (wouldn't that be fun), poker is a hobby that can sometimes earn me money. I have won more money playing poker than I have ever spent, but we're talking a very small amount of money in total!

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've been playing for so many years that I don't think about the living factor of poker, but I enjoy every penny I earn, it would be hard for me to stop playing, win or lose, I always continue with poker

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
Well for one thing I would have to move to Vegas. I would rather just visit during the big events and have fun cashing or not. I personally couldn’t handle the pressure of being wining enough player to pay all my bills (that’s why I respect the people that can do this consistently).
I do love getting money from poker. I have been lucky enough to be able to play this game and get to play the tournaments I want to play live, with my wife. But I’m old and retired so it’s never going to be needed as an income, only a hobby. It’s really hard to crack my soul this way lol Good luck everyone!

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play poker for fun, it's a hobby, I make a living by doing other things

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I never want to work for a living ever again, I worked hard all my life working as many as 3 jobs a week, then went into taxi driving doing 80 plus hours every week, then suffered a Heart Attack 10 years ago, since then I have taken my pension I prepared for and never have to work.
Unfortunate my Heart attack slowed me down but if it hadn't I would still be working hard, Now the only thing I have left is my games I play on "Steam" and my On-line Poker, but it will only ever be for FUN!

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally it’s just a hibby. If I win a few dollars here and there then that’s a bonus. I play mostly freerolls and small stakes games.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now this is not only entertainment but a desire to earn a living

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Poker is not like working in a factory or a bank, where you have a clear salary and an understanding of what actions can qualify you for a bonus at the end of the month. How much you can win in one session or start earning per month depends only on you. Play a lot, work on your game even more - and success will surely come.But this requires a lot of free time, but I don’t have it.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Not for living, in my case, but for entertaining and money:).

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
At the moment, poker is a hobby in my free time. All profits go towards further development.

Top 10 Games